Can someone confirm - is the coffee syrup based on the Royal?

jennymaxgirl

Not looking at getting a cafe selects coffee card - not sure what type of coffee is complimentary in the horizon court and around the ship.

Hoping to avoid the syrup coffee, but is this the only free option?

Thanks,

Jennifer

We'd like to know too but for the Regal. Thanks.

If all is ground coffee in the HC then does it make sense to buy the coffee card on the Royal/Regal to get ground coffee in the IC? Or,is the IC coffee different from the HC?
DW loves her morning coffee and we brought an old Coffee Card with half a dozen punches. With the coffee in the HC, DW only used the card a couple of times for an Americano as we left the Regal for an early tour and we didn't go up to the HC. It was more convenient for us because DW could get her coffee and at the same time I could make some brewed tea in the HC m. For us, the coffee card was not needed on the Regal. There is even a hot chocolate machine in the HC next to the coffee Brewers.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been on the royal 4 times and the regal once all coffee is from syrup unless you have the coffee card for the international café then it is fresh ground. it is also fresh in Sabatini's and the crown grill.
We have been on the Regal and there are WMF coffee brewers in the Horizon Court that make fresh brewed coffee.

Embarking on the Emerald this Thursday........I guess we will see what the coffee tastes like. I have never had syrup coffee before in my life. I love my coffee in the morning and will do what it takes to get a couple of GOOD cups.

The coffee on the Regal in the MDR to me isn't that good and was NOT the same as served in the IC which is why I got a coffee card. However one day I was eating in the HC and saw them changing out the coffee machine. I was surprised to see them pour fresh ground coffee in and not syrup. I should have tried it to see if it was the same as the MDR or IC. I know it's ground however does it taste the same? They could have 2 different ground coffee, one cheaper for the free stuff. I know princess will start using a better premium coffee in the IC soon according to their latest brochure I got in the mail.

We came off the Royal last Wednesday. I can’t say about the dining room, but we saw grounds being used daily in the HC and HTerrace. The coffee in the dining room was better than we found it on the Crown Princess a few years ago. We brought a coffee card with a few punches, but mostly used them at Gelato’s.

We have been on the Regal and there are WMF coffee brewers in the Horizon Court that make fresh brewed coffee.
I can't comment about the coffee in the MDR because with the great selections in the Horizon Court on the Regal we only ate there once and didn't have coffee with dinner. The brewed coffee in the HC was so good that DW only stopped by the IC to get a morning Americano a couple of times as we disembarked for an early shore excursion.

This spring on the Coral Princess cruising Alaska the International Cafe "fresh ground coffee" was TERRIBLE! It was WORSE than the alleged "syrup based coffee" served in the main dining rooms. This, I certainly hope was an anomaly. On all other Princess ships we've sailed previous to the Coral the IC "Fresh" coffee was great, always great. Either the Coral has a real problem or Princess has a new, destructive policy!?

It seems illogical to me that the MDR's on Regal/Royal would be serving syrup-based coffee when the buffet (HC) has brewed coffee from ground beans.

Taste in coffee is personal of course (I don't drink it; wife does), but one would hope and expect a better quality from the IC since there is a cost associated. Like one expects a better cup from Starbucks than some lunch counter or buffet on land.

Embarking on the Emerald this Thursday........I guess we will see what the coffee tastes like. I have never had syrup coffee before in my life. I love my coffee in the morning and will do what it takes to get a couple of GOOD cups.

I bet most of us have had liquid coffee concentrate, but may not have been aware of it. It is commonly used in restaurants or other places that have high volume needs.

Last year on the Royal I thought the IC coffee was much worse than in the past. We even commented that they had downgraded the quality. The HC coffee still wasn't great and could have fooled me that it wasn't made with syrup. I'd still take the IC over any other venue and forget room service! Horrible coffee in my opinion.