Dumb excuses people use not to cruise

Esilef

The 'I can't swim, so I'm afraid of being surrounded by water' is one I hear most often. I say to those people, but you can't fly either yet you travel on planes. If the plane engines stop you crash, if a ships engines stop you float around for a few days but it's not likely to be a risk to your life.

Give me a ship over a plane any day!

Another odd one is terrorists/pirates attacking the ship - a cruise ship is an unlikely target due to too many people on board to control. They watch movies like Captain Phillips (which we saw on board a ship by the way) & think a cargo ship with 10 crew is the same thing. Same people will of course hop on plane - a prime target for terrorists!:rolleyes:

The most classic one I actually read on Trip Advisor the other day when a bunch of totally unknowledgable dolts told a person "Its not a solo holiday if you go on a cruise ship" and "As a solo traveller I would never put myself in a situation of being with 1200 or more people on a ship - thats not considered to be solo travelling".

Apparently their idea of a solo holiday is one that involves an empty private jet to an empty island. They cant comprehend that a solo traveller is solo whether they are on a full plane/train/coach/ship of strangers ! :rolleyes::cool:

I have been solo cruising since the mid 80s and love it.

The most classic one I actually read on Trip Advisor the other day when a bunch of totally unknowledgable dolts told a person "Its not a solo holiday if you go on a cruise ship" and "As a solo traveller I would never put myself in a situation of being with 1200 or more people on a ship - thats not considered to be solo travelling".

Apparently their idea of a solo holiday is one that involves an empty private jet to an empty island. They cant comprehend that a solo traveller is solo whether they are on a full plane/train/coach/ship of strangers ! :rolleyes::cool:

I have been solo cruising since the mid 80s and love it.

Even Tom Hanks had Wilson on his Island.:p

I can't swim either - but I'd at least partially agree with folks who don't cruise to tropic islands etc because of that reason. Not being able to swim, snokel etc does limit the activities one can participate in and I can see why cruises won't appeal to them.

Oh well! More for me.

Here I'd one of my dads excuses.

"I like to be in control of my own holiday and not be told what to do"

Ummmm whom here has had the captain come to their cabin and tell them that they are to get their butts to line dancing in the atrium as they are 2 minutes late?

That really made me laugh! Most of my friends just say they don't want to be trapped on a ship. How can I convince them it's fun to be trapped??

That really made me laugh! Most of my friends just say they don't want to be trapped on a ship. How can I convince them it's fun to be trapped??

Show them a daily program and then say that they are free to do any , all or none of the activities.:D

Exactly - so the rulers of the Solo TA board would immediately deem ole Tom (and Wilson for that matter) to not be solo travellers !

Didn't anyone mention that it's part of the cruise contract that no one is allowed to talk to any solo cruiser as they want to be solo.

Funny every cruise we have been on all the solo cruisers are out their making friends and enjoying life.

• 2 months later...

My husband always saw cruising as "a rich people thing". Now that we are booked on one he keeps saying how he feels so rich and extravagant to be going cruising.

A friend of mine adamantly refuses to try a cruise after she once felt ill on a ferry in some of the roughest waters in the world. I understand where she's coming from but would argue that it's apples and pears. They're both fruit, both green and both grow on trees but the experience is quite different. I guess it's just what you are prepared to try and how you deal with new experiences.

The 'I can't swim, so I'm afraid of being surrounded by water' is one I hear most often. I say to those people, but you can't fly either yet you travel on planes. If the plane engines stop you crash, if a ships engines stop you float around for a few days but it's not likely to be a risk to your life.

Give me a ship over a plane any day!

Another odd one is terrorists/pirates attacking the ship - a cruise ship is an unlikely target due to too many people on board to control. They watch movies like Captain Phillips (which we saw on board a ship by the way) & think a cargo ship with 10 crew is the same thing. Same people will of course hop on plane - a prime target for terrorists!:rolleyes:

I hear this one a lot from my co workers.

I watched Captain Phillips on the 2 hour ferry ride from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar and thought it was a strange choice of movie!

Regards Elaine.

I hear this one a lot from my co workers.

I watched Captain Phillips on the 2 hour ferry ride from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar and thought it was a strange choice of movie!

Regards Elaine.

It is right up there with the Titanic and the Poseidon adventure.

• 1 month later...

My ex used to always use the "I don't want to be trapped on a boat!" excuse.

Luckily, current SO has never been on a cruise but has always wanted to go- so we are booked on the Pacific Jewel in June :D Cant wait! (This will be my second cruise and his first- and he's more excited than me I think!).

I used to say that I didn't want to cruise. I'm an introvert, I'm not a joiner and I detest being jollied into "joining in". I hated the idea of communal dinner tables. I suppose I thought it was like a Butlins holiday camp I also thought that I wanted more time at the destination. My husband convinced me to give it a try and, to my surprise, I quite liked it! Having a balcony helped so I could get completely away if I wanted. We also dined by ourselves most of the time. There are masses of places to sit and read (I read 5 books on our 10 day cruise). Toward the end I started actually doing some of the activities and had quite a good time. No-one tried to jolly me into anything. We are now booked on another cruise and I intend to do even more.

You never know, cruising may turn me into a people person! (I'll still steer away from shared dinner tables)

I used to say that I didn't want to cruise. I'm an introvert, I'm not a joiner and I detest being jollied into "joining in". I hated the idea of communal dinner tables. I suppose I thought it was like a Butlins holiday camp I also thought that I wanted more time at the destination. My husband convinced me to give it a try and, to my surprise, I quite liked it! Having a balcony helped so I could get completely away if I wanted. We also dined by ourselves most of the time. There are masses of places to sit and read (I read 5 books on our 10 day cruise). Toward the end I started actually doing some of the activities and had quite a good time. No-one tried to jolly me into anything. We are now booked on another cruise and I intend to do even more.

You never know, cruising may turn me into a people person! (I'll still steer away from shared dinner tables)

Nice to hear that you have really enjoyed the experience, cruising can cater to a wide range of tastes.

....and thats a shame Codster

Catch a mean flathead myself............ wonder if I could smuggle a nice shiny lure onboard.... there would be some good Queenies/Spaniards and stunning Dorados out there haha :rolleyes:

Can remember as a child on cruises with my parents, the crew fishing off the back of the ship at Suva wharf/kids diving for kids the pax threw overboard:)

(ohhhh I cannot edit once posted ha) n give me a break - I havnt slept yet :)

...that reply above should have read - coins that pax have thrown overboard - hehe.....

and I get that Swissmiss - a ship is for everyone - we are not all squeaky wheels in life - we all bring something to the mix don't you worry and don't you just love 'time out' :cool:

(ohhhh I cannot edit once posted ha) n give me a break - I havnt slept yet :)

...that reply above should have read - coins that pax have thrown overboard - hehe.....

and I get that Swissmiss - a ship is for everyone - we are not all squeaky wheels in life - we all bring something to the mix don't you worry and don't you just love 'time out' :cool:

LOL, I liked the idea of passengers throwing their kids overboard for the Fijian kids to catch.:p