Dumb excuses people use not to cruise

Esilef

Here I'd one of my dads excuses.

"I like to be in control of my own holiday and not be told what to do"

Ummmm whom here has had the captain come to their cabin and tell them that they are to get their butts to line dancing in the atrium as they are 2 minutes late?

A friend of mine....I'm not old enough to play shuffleboard.

A neighbour..........Why would you want to spend 30 days on a ship (Sydney-Los Angeles) when you could fly there and have a longer holiday.

Having said that, many of my friends are now cruising. Of course cruising was their idea. :rolleyes:

Yep heard that one often, "I'd get bored" also "there's nothing to do!" I was so concerned years ago on my first cruise I took a bag of books. Turns out I didn't even open the bag! You've got to try hard to be bored I reckon.

Steve.

Here in the states, one of the most common ones you hear is the urban legend that every cruise is like the bad Carnival cruises that sometimes end up exaggerated in the news: basically just a ship full of violent drunks, sewage and norovirus. I run into some people online who hold onto that mental image for dear life. Their loss.

Edited by perditax

My mum advised me that at nearly 70 she is too old to get a passport. When I explained that she would be celebrating her 70th birthday with all her family (she lives on the other side of Australia from us kids), and on a cruise. She is considering it.

True! :)

Runner up: "cruises are for old people"

3rd place: "what's the use of being in <insert city> for only a few hours?"

Also, a lot of people I know believe it's super expensive

But it used to be super expensive.

Until I was in my 20s the only people I knew who had ver been in a cruise were RICH lottery winners or owners of mega businesses, or QCs, so I can understand that one.

I think I have heard all of those except for "having sex all over the ship". IMO, that one may get more people cruising. ;)

That said, the most common one I have heard that hasn't been mentioned yet is 'The weather is too unpredictable and it may ruin the cruise.'

I tell them that the same could be said for anything or any holiday.

All of those that I know, who have tried it once want to do it again, except for a SIL, who got very very sea sick (in the Whitsundays).

Edited by MicCanberra

From dear sweet dad---everyone is drunk,gambling and having sex all over the ship !!

How is that an excuse NOT to cruise?! :D

As for the boring factor - I specifically chose cruising this time because I actually want to slow down and have nothing to do, our last few holidays have been wonderful but really hectic. Please don't ruin my illusion!

How is that an excuse NOT to cruise?! :D

As for the boring factor - I specifically chose cruising this time because I actually want to slow down and have nothing to do, our last few holidays have been wonderful but really hectic. Please don't ruin my illusion!

Cruising is what you make it. If you want to wind down totally there is no better way than cruising, your time is your own. No dishes, no ironing, they clean your cabin daily. One of the best things is that there is lots and lots of good, clean fresh air to breath which makes you sleep better. There are lots of nooks and crannies on the ship that you can take a good book to and just veg out, you can be waited on with a good cup of tea or coffee, you can have 24 hour room service if that is what you prefer, lots of activities to try out on the ship. If you over eat just go for a couple of trips around the Promenade deck so that will make you ready for the next culinary experience. My husband never wanted to go on a cruise but half way through the first cruise he wanted to know when I was going to book the next one, he feels lost now if we don't do at least one a year. Even the grandson is counting down the days now to the next cruise, he works anything up to 15 hour shifts which really throws his sleep pattern out, this is one way he can totally relax and be himself, it empowers him.

I wish you all the best on your cruise, enjoy.

Regards, :):)

I get a lot of "What id I don't like it, I can't escape."

The ship stops every few days at a minimum if you hate it you can 'escape' to land. But you can also turn the ship holiday into exactly like a land holiday. Lounge in bed, go to a cafe, sit by the pool, go to the beach every couple days...

People are silly.

Correction - some people are silly the rest of us like to cruise.:D

Not a dumb excuse but one I hear often...

I came out on an immigrant ship...never again.

however ....get them on board and they cannot believe it.

Yep. My dad came out from England via ship in the 1960s and got violently seasick. He absolutely refuses to consider a cruise holiday. However, he happily tells any friends who are considering a cruise how wonderful they are courtesy of the cruises I have done.