Dumb excuses people use not to cruise

Esilef

I used to say that I didn't want to cruise. I'm an introvert, I'm not a joiner and I detest being jollied into "joining in". I hated the idea of communal dinner tables. I suppose I thought it was like a Butlins holiday camp I also thought that I wanted more time at the destination. My husband convinced me to give it a try and, to my surprise, I quite liked it! Having a balcony helped so I could get completely away if I wanted. We also dined by ourselves most of the time. There are masses of places to sit and read (I read 5 books on our 10 day cruise). Toward the end I started actually doing some of the activities and had quite a good time. No-one tried to jolly me into anything. We are now booked on another cruise and I intend to do even more.

You never know, cruising may turn me into a people person! (I'll still steer away from shared dinner tables)

Sounds a bit like us.

My kids called us liars when we said we had spent the whole day with a couple we met and had diner with them twice.

LOL, I liked the idea of passengers throwing their kids overboard for the Fijian kids to catch.:p

Lol!! The nice Fijian kids just want to catch a couple of kids chucked off the back of a cruise ship.

New warning tool for patents "back to he cabin by 8pm sharpe or we will throw you to the Fijian kids"....

Lol!! The nice Fijian kids just want to catch a couple of kids chucked off the back of a cruise ship.

New warning tool for patents "back to he cabin by 8pm sharpe or we will throw you to the Fijian kids"....

LOL, :D

somehow I don't think that will work though.;)

I don't know about Newcastle but every RSL club I have been to has had a commodore out the front.:p

Every Yacht Club I have been to has had a Commodore inside, oh and the Retirement Village has Commodes too.

Why do they have to be "dumb excuses"?

While I quite liked going on a cruise I am not hurrying to go on another one. If I saw one which was a bargain again then I would but they don't come along all the time.

I'm scared I will fall off.............

I will wait unitl child is older so they can't climb overboard............

It is apparently really easy to fall overboard, you just have to be close to the rail to go over. And kids, well, its even easier for them to climb and use the railings as a balance beam...............

Every Yacht Club I have been to has had a Commodore inside, oh and the Retirement Village has Commodes too.

Why do they have to be "dumb excuses"?

While I quite liked going on a cruise I am not hurrying to go on another one. If I saw one which was a bargain again then I would but they don't come along all the time.

Lol,:D

If you look closer (another thread 'El cheapo') there are still plenty of bargains to be had.:D

I'm scared I will fall off.............

I will wait unitl child is older so they can't climb overboard............

It is apparently really easy to fall overboard, you just have to be close to the rail to go over. And kids, well, its even easier for them to climb and use the railings as a balance beam...............

Easy fixed, don't go outside when on the ship.;)

Lol,:D

If you look closer (another thread 'El cheapo') there are still plenty of bargains to be had.:D

Have looked at that thread. Some reasonable deals there but not quite as good as we got. Picked up 16 days in a suite for AU$5000 incl gratuities. That was less than $160 a day each.

....yawns..... 4 hours sleep and raring to go.....(it had been a funny night at work, a Pom an American with 2 Aussies and Security hehe :D)

Some people think that just having a day in a port is not enough time and therefore a waste of time cruising - but its all about the adventure as well of getting to those ports - well, that's what I say - you must love the ocean and looking at the ink blue water - the ports are a break and a land adventure:cool:

So I won my first cruise last year in a competition. I had never, ever, considered cruising until this happened, in fact if the idea flittered past it terrified me! Don't people constantly go missing off cruise ships? And because it's international waters no one bothers to investigate?

Ok and the big one - I'm sure any Aussie cruisers know of the terrible event on a P&O ship some years ago. The details of that case were horrifying, and since I was young and it was probably even the first I really knew of cruising at all, since cruising wasn't a big thing here in OZ, it became an association for me. Cruise Ship = That terrible case. I actually had to get over this association in order to take my prize!

But after winning I started researching cruises and the ships (really I knew absolutely nothing, and that is how I found cruise critic!), I was pretty excited and sold on it when I saw the water slides ;) and that was just the beginning!

Anyway, I'm hooked now :) . Even if I did find a website in my google travels called cruiseshipdeaths . com. Even if we were two doors away from the cabin where two people went overboard on a previous cruise.

Stuff happens on land too, right?

So I won my first cruise last year in a competition. I had never, ever, considered cruising until this happened, in fact if the idea flittered past it terrified me! Don't people constantly go missing off cruise ships? And because it's international waters no one bothers to investigate?

Ok and the big one - I'm sure any Aussie cruisers know of the terrible event on a P&O ship some years ago. The details of that case were horrifying, and since I was young and it was probably even the first I really knew of cruising at all, since cruising wasn't a big thing here in OZ, it became an association for me. Cruise Ship = That terrible case. I actually had to get over this association in order to take my prize!

But after winning I started researching cruises and the ships (really I knew absolutely nothing, and that is how I found cruise critic!), I was pretty excited and sold on it when I saw the water slides ;) and that was just the beginning!

Anyway, I'm hooked now :) . Even if I did find a website in my google travels called cruiseshipdeaths . com. Even if we were two doors away from the cabin where two people went overboard on a previous cruise.

Stuff happens on land too, right?

Yep, it doesn't take much to get hooked.:D

Years ago after my first cruise a family member told me it is a complete waste of money and that a friend of hers would have been financially better off but they went on too many cruises.

I pointed out to this family member that they have been smoking for over 40 years :rolleyes: 'Now that's a waste of money'. Fast forward five years and this person is slowly changing her mind after a few friends have suddenly died and a close friend is struggling with a brain tumour. She said to me recently you are doing the right thing living life while you can. She is even considering a cruise. :)

Another person we know who is fond of 'one-upmanship' and has travelled a fair bit always insinuates that cruisers are old fat boring people and that crusing isn't real travel.