Don't like to cruise???

aba555

My Father in Law will not cruise. He says "I had too much of that (explitive deleted) in the Navy (retired, 20 years). THe thing is my Mother in Law is about desperate to go and won't cause he won't just suck it up and take it like a man. I really want her to go. She is so sad she is not coming with us in two weeks.

My husband doesn't think that he will like cruising. Well, we are going to find out in December. He is going on a cruise only for our daughter. She wanted a cruise as a college graduation present and just for her he is going. I made sure that we have a big enough cabin (a RFS) and a balcony. Actually the RFS is the same $ as 2 Jr. Suites so we just got it. I hope he likes it so that I can go on more cruises.

My husband doesn't think that he will like cruising. Well, we are going to find out in December. He is going on a cruise only for our daughter. She wanted a cruise as a college graduation present and just for her he is going. I made sure that we have a big enough cabin (a RFS) and a balcony. Actually the RFS is the same $ as 2 Jr. Suites so we just got it. I hope he likes it so that I can go on more cruises.

Which ship are you going on and how many people will be in the RFS? We are going in July on the NOS and have been debating on getting the RFS. Right now we have a balcony room with an interior across the hall. I know it is a lot more expensive to get the RFS, but I sure would love to have the kids with us.

We are going 12/10 on the Legend of the Seas. We 5 in it now (you have to have 5 to book the RFS) but we have my mother booked but she is really not going. The rate for additional people after the first 2 was only $299 and the total for the RFS with 5 was the same as 2 jr. suites. It is going to be great with the 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

A few months ago my neighbor (family of 5) was mentioning that she may like to take the Voyager out of NJ next summer (or was it for this summer, I can’t remember).

Anyway, just the other day I started talking to her about how the Voyager was moving, about cruising, etc and asked if she was going to book her trip.

She proceeded to tell me that she thought about it and after hearing the story on the news about the missing honeymooner it got her very nervous. She also said her hairdresser knew someone that was on a cruise ship and then was kidnapped and woke up in an unknown place and his kidney was missing and it HAD to be the work of a real doctor the way the incision was done and that he was still alive, and that they need these parts in other parts of the world????, etc??? I didn’t dare tell her this tale has been going on for years. She said that she has hear that there are many many kidnappings on ships that just don’t get reported. I have to tell you this is an educated woman telling me this. I just shook my head listening and then started thinking she must think my husband and I are such terrible parents for bringing our children on a cruise next week and another booked for April??? Goodness.

In July of 2003, I talked my husband into a cruise. He wasn't against cruising, he just didn't know what to expect or if he would like it. He is not a summer person, never wears shorts or sandals, doesn't go to the beach or the pool, etc..as it turned out he absolutely loves cruising! He is hooked and wants to take a cruise every year. He wears shorts everyday we are gone, swims, snorkels and doesn't mind the formal nights(he didn't even own a suit until we cruised). He says it is the best vacation ever. He is a very picky eater, but enjoys trying something new each night at dinner, knowing if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it and can get something else and it won't cost him extra!! We love the time on the islands, a day is enough, we don't like to stay in one spot anyway. If there is something we missed while we were there, it just gives us something different to do if we ever go back to that island. We love seeing several different places in one trip.

Last Feb, we talked our best friends into going with us. They wern't sure about cruising, but they figured if my hubby raved about it, it must be good, since they know what he is like normally. Well...they didn't like it. The days at sea drove them crazy, they didn't like all the people, didn't like having a short amount of time on the islands, etc. They enjoyed the shore excursions we did, but said they are more comfortable staying at a resort and laying on the beach, not going somewhere different nearly every day.

We take a land vacation every summer, that is our "family" vacation with the kids, and we have all kinds of fun. But come winter, it's cruise time for just us. It is our alone, rejuvenate, connect again as a couple time.

I know a few.

My mother hates it because she gets sea sick.

Several friends hate it b/c they are really active: scuba, golf, etc. & they can't stand having to be back to the ship at a certain time.

Most of the big partiers I know aren't crazy about it b/c the drink prices are too high for their mass consumption so other options better fit their budgets.

Other friends won't go again becuase of the bedbugs. I gotta admit, if I had 1/2 of what they described, you'd never get me on a cruise ship again either.

It's really not for everyone.

A few months ago my neighbor (family of 5) was mentioning that she may like to take the Voyager out of NJ next summer (or was it for this summer, I can’t remember).

Anyway, just the other day I started talking to her about how the Voyager was moving, about cruising, etc and asked if she was going to book her trip.

She proceeded to tell me that she thought about it and after hearing the story on the news about the missing honeymooner it got her very nervous. She also said her hairdresser knew someone that was on a cruise ship and then was kidnapped and woke up in an unknown place and his kidney was missing and it HAD to be the work of a real doctor the way the incision was done and that he was still alive, and that they need these parts in other parts of the world????, etc??? I didn’t dare tell her this tale has been going on for years. She said that she has hear that there are many many kidnappings on ships that just don’t get reported. I have to tell you this is an educated woman telling me this. I just shook my head listening and then started thinking she must think my husband and I are such terrible parents for bringing our children on a cruise next week and another booked for April??? Goodness.

The kidney thing is an urban legend-doubtful that it took place on a cruise??? It was even in the urban legend movie-somebody has an active imagination....

Sounds like your neighbor and her hairdresser have watched one too many movies,or maybe it's the fumes at the beauty shop getting to them...

The way I see it, the more people don't like cruising, the lower the prices will drop (supply & demand) and all the better for me....

I don't think I've ever met anyone who "likes" cruising. I think you either love it or you hate it. I love it <g>

Well, allow me to introduce myself then ;) . I enjoy cruising very much (have been on 4, all in the Caribbean so far), but it's not my favorite kind of vacation. I like big cities, museums, churches, monuments, palaces, old graveyards. I like the kind of vacation where you come home so tired from so much walking and sightseeing that you need a vacation to recover :D . I don't like water activities or beachgoing (I live 10 mins. from the beach and I don't remember the last time I went). I DO like visiting different islands, taking tours or just walking around town, sitting on the balcony looking at the ocean, going to the shows, and yes, even lazing around with a good book for a day or two -- longer than that and I get restless. I do enjoy the whole cruise experience, don't get me wrong (otherwise I wouldn't be hanging around this board, right? ;) ), it's just not necessarily my first choice.

We are planning to go to Alaska next summer and to Europe the year after that. This year we went on a Caribbean cruise in March and a land vacation in Spain in June. I enjoyed both very much!

Archived