MITSUGIRLY BREAKAWAY's 1 last time for the year-review/pictorial

mitsugirly

We made it back home safely and the kids arrived a few hours later. Whew, glad to be home and relaxing...now where's the buffet and towel animals for the night?

Love your reviews. Sounds like another great trip! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and your great photos!

This is off on another topic, but ....

Do you still have your photos of Sapphire Beach up anywhere? When I went on the link provided in your review, I kept getting a "Page Not Found" notice, and no photos

I am going to be in St. Thomas in Jan. and would love to see what the beach looks like.

We live in the NY/NYC metro area. We have used Carmel many times. True, drivers usually do not talk much. Yes, most own their own cars/vehicles. We have ALWAYS found them to be careful, safe drivers. That being said, the last time we were picked up from JFK (coming in from Europe) - the driver we had as NOT a good driver. Didn't seem to know where he was going. Tailgated, braked at the last minute, weaving in and out..................you get the picture. We said something to him several times, finally he slowed down. Car was older, needed shocks. Something I don't like to do, but since it came down to our safety and safety of others, we reported him to Carmel. They seemed concerned and said they would take care of it..................hummm, one wonders what they do if anything. Just thought you would like another perspective from a "local". :)

That's interesting that it's their own cars. So I guess it's something like Uber then. I guess you have to own a black car in order to be one of their drivers then. LOL Although when we were picked up at the hotel with all 10 of us, they showed up in matching vans so I just assumed they belonged to the company. :)

HI all!

mistugirly ~ I'm not too worried about the cabin as I'll be sailing solo

so have it to myself.;)

I wondered if you've ever heard of this place. I've read a few Bermuda reviews & hadn't.

The link is a post from pirate4forme2's review, a girl I met on the Breeze. Too bad the photos are missing as they were nice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48168732&postcount=46

Take care & thanks again.

~ Jo ~ :)

Yea, you'll be fine going solo. There just wasn't much storage room compared to any other interior room I have been on in the NCL fleet.

Yes, I have heard of Blue Hole. I researched it just a little before this last trip and would love to go there. The reason I found out about it was because we were trying to find a different place to rent boats from and Blue Hole was one of the places. :p There were some discrepancies about "who" can go there though from what I remember. I recall people talking about going there (and I believe it was assessable from the bus line) and someone else stated that you had to be staying on the property to go there or something like that. I know I would definitely like to try it. (Someone mentioned a place like this in Cozumel and I would love to do that as well!) Next time I head to Bermuda, I'll have to remember to check into this. I know I want to do different things next time around for sure. Oh, it's over by Crystal & Fantasy Caves too.

I sailed on the breakaway and had the same feelings about reserving everything you had to do like you said took away the freestyle part of the cruise and I cant imagine doing it with 10 people as it was tough enough with just 2 of us. I also felt the amount of people on the breakaway is way too many for me and I prefer a small cruise ship with say 2000 people instead of 4000+. Great review as always . I read it from front to back with my wife jealousy standing over me wondering why I was so enthralled in reading this thread for 3 days lol. she wanted to know was was mitsy lol. When I explain she let it go lol.

I honestly wish they made the smaller ships with all the "extras" like the water park and stuff. If that was the case, you'd never find me on another big ship. LOL

Thanks for the comments about reading it from front to back. Glad you enjoyed it. Tell the wife Mitsy is a car. ;) (As in Mitsubishi).

Thanks again, Kim, for another great review! I've enjoyed traveling along with you and your family. I will be anxiously waiting to hear where we will be going next.

I am wondering, though - will Kenny be cruising with you again? Or has his experience with seasickness made him decide he really wants to stay on dry land?

Thanks for finishing it with me. I know people get frustrated waiting for things to end.

I don't know where I'm going next...but I can tell you that I just purchased a few Carnival gift cards using my Verizon points about 1/2 hour ago. I might have to book a Carnival cruise next. :D I would REALLY like to head back to Half Moon Cay again or even Grand Turk. :)

Lake Michigan really is that color during the summer. It feels like Key West water in the Midwest. The color of the water changes depending upon the weather and season. It becomes a ugly grey during storms and late fall through winter. It can also be a pretty light blue. One of the reasons I like living near Chicago. :)

I've been to Lake Michigan a few times (back in my 20-30's) and it was always brown icky water. Hmmm. I may have to check it out again some time. Chicago=the bean! :D I loved it there.

Regarding the ship's pin, we just got off the Star and were told that NCL no longer will give pins out on ships, and we have to write to NCL after disembarking and request a pin. :confused: We wrote - haven't heard back yet.

As always, great review, Kim. ;)

I'm with you - I cruise for warm weather and hopefully no rain. If I ever cruise out of NYC, it will be during the warmer months. But, that's doubtful now after reading your review. Why go through that hassle when there are other friendlier cruise ports out there?

What??? No pins AT ALL? Did you check with customer service? That's where I have been finding them most of the time.

No worries, writing to the latitudes place will get you a pin (or several). I've done it before when I forgot to ask for one and they shipped it right out. :)

I finally was able to catch up here. ....but even though you think you wrote slow it's still super fast in my book. I wish I was that dedicated to get it all wrapped up so fast. I put put along on mine.

Great trip report!!!

So will Kenny ever sail again? Sounds like when the ship was in motion he had troubles, but it could have been the rougher seas?

That totally sucks about flying the day that the SW computer glitch happened. That was a mess, but it sounds like you guys did ok....and you made it home.

thanks for taking the time to write this. I can't wait till your next adventure.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm still not sure about Kenny. He hasn't mentioned it once since we returned. His gf is bound and determined to go on another so we'll see what type of influence she has on him going.

The computer glitch wasn't too bad for us. Just a lot of long lines and waiting. But all in all, we had plenty of time for waiting and the transfer flight only caused a 1 1/2 hour delay I think it was. No biggie. It didn't really affect us much and we just took it as another part of the adventure. :D

Thanks for doing this Mitsugirly! I always pop over here to see what NCL adventures you have been on! Come back to CCL soon! :)

Hi there. Glad to see you. I may be back to Carnival next year. I just purchased a few Verizon gift cards for a cruise I don't have planned yet. :D

Love your reviews. Sounds like another great trip! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and your great photos!

Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate it.

This is off on another topic, but ....

Do you still have your photos of Sapphire Beach up anywhere? When I went on the link provided in your review, I kept getting a "Page Not Found" notice, and no photos

I am going to be in St. Thomas in Jan. and would love to see what the beach looks like.

Ehhhhh! I really hate this with my old reviews. I didn't have the "system" that I have now with my picture host and when I decided to put the pictures into labeled folders, it moved the link and made them invalid. :(

Yep, I have all my pictures I've ever posted on my Smugmug account.

The link to my Smugmug main page with them all is:

Everything is in folders according to the ship I was on.

Sapphire Beach was during our Epic cruise, so you can look in the Epic folder or HERE.

Let me know if these work for you (and hoping it's not just working for me because I'm logged into the account). :p

Forget the previous post. I found where you included the photo link a third time and this one worked.

You do such a great job taking pictures and giving out details, that you could qualify for being a great professional reviewer.

Oh oops. I just seen this part. :p

Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate it.

Ehhhhh! I really hate this with my old reviews. I didn't have the "system" that I have now with my picture host and when I decided to put the pictures into labeled folders, it moved the link and made them invalid. :(

Yep, I have all my pictures I've ever posted on my Smugmug account.

The link to my Smugmug main page with them all is:

Everything is in folders according to the ship I was on.

Sapphire Beach was during our Epic cruise, so you can look in the Epic folder or HERE.

Let me know if these work for you (and hoping it's not just working for me because I'm logged into the account). :p

This link worked for all the pictures.:D

Lake Michigan really is that color during the summer. It feels like Key West water in the Midwest. The color of the water changes depending upon the weather and season. It becomes a ugly grey during storms and late fall through winter. It can also be a pretty light blue. One of the reasons I like living near Chicago. :)

Several times a year during heavier rain storms, Milwaukee pumps millions of gallons untreated or blended sewage into Lake Michigan. Just happened a week ago during a normal fall rain, 8.9 million gallons were dumped. I know it's expensive to fix but not fixing it has a price too. Water must be nicer in Chicago, when the wind is not from the north.

MMSD has a permit from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) which allows them to dump “blended” materials into Lake Michigan six times annually. Be wary of that this summer when enjoying your time at the beach.

Edited by my_crib_too

Yes, I did. I wondered if this was another FDR cost-saving plan.

I'm not sure how this would be cost saving though since they now have shipping charges to pay for. It would be so much easier to just have a stash of them at the customer service desk to hand out when people ask for them. :cool:

This link worked for all the pictures.:D

Awesome.

• 1 month later...
We have only been on the Dream and Pride and loved them both. I'm going to have to try the Conquest class because I know a lot of people seem to liek them.

LOL, I bet you don't forget your suitcase on any trip...check, double check, triple check. :D

Just finished this, and as always, wonderful! We're actually considering a Bermuda cruise this summer.....so, both of your reviews were tremendously helpful!

Regarding the Conquest class....I recommend you go to the Glory, Freedom or Liberty. Valor hasn't received 2.0 upgrades (yet - she is scheduled for a dry dock this year though), and Conquest is missing a Serenity deck for whatever reason, but does have Guy's and the other 2.0 upgrades. :)

Just finished this, and as always, wonderful! We're actually considering a Bermuda cruise this summer.....so, both of your reviews were tremendously helpful!

Regarding the Conquest class....I recommend you go to the Glory, Freedom or Liberty. Valor hasn't received 2.0 upgrades (yet - she is scheduled for a dry dock this year though), and Conquest is missing a Serenity deck for whatever reason, but does have Guy's and the other 2.0 upgrades. :)

Thanks so much for the compliments and I hope you make it to Bermuda. It is absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to return again.

Actually....we are going on the Breeze in 80 days and I couldn't be happier. It has been on my radar since cruising the Dream and I'm so excited. :D

I just looked at the itinerary you are on for your Breeze cruise and I am so jealous! FYI, We used Royston Tours in St. Kitts and he was amazing! I told him where I wanted to go and he did it all. Even drove us by his house. He grew up there so he knows everything about the island.

Have a great trip!

Kim, I'm glad to see you decided on the Breeze. :D I hope you have a wonderful cruise. And of course, I'll be looking forward to that review. :)Heather

I'm glad I decided on the Breeze too. :D Thanks for the "wonderful cruise" wishes. I sure hope we get good weather so that I can put those water slides to use. :p

Kim have you every booked through Cozumel Tours? My DH & I will be in Cozumel on 2/29/16 and were looking into Chankanaab Dolphin Swim or Mr. Sanchos.

No I haven't. We normally don't do excursions and do things on our own.

With Chankanaab and the dolphin swim (or even Mr Sanchos), there's absolutely no reason to book with a third party. Super easy to do on your own. Just book with the place directly online and grab a cab as soon as you head out of the cruise terminal and go. Super duper easy. If you watch Dolphin Discovery's website, they run a lot of specials all the time and you can sometimes get the buy one get one for $1, which saves a lot. :)

I just looked at the itinerary you are on for your Breeze cruise and I am so jealous! FYI, We used Royston Tours in St. Kitts and he was amazing! I told him where I wanted to go and he did it all. Even drove us by his house. He grew up there so he knows everything about the island.

Have a great trip!

Thanks so much and I can't wait. I love visiting new places I have never been to before. :)

thanks Kim. That is what I want to do. We have already done Passion Island 2x, Nachi, Salsa, Salsa & Margherita plus a couple tours. Its just me & hubby this time so we prefer to do a beach day with everything included.

thanks Kim. That is what I want to do. We have already done Passion Island 2x, Nachi, Salsa, Salsa & Margherita plus a couple tours. Its just me & hubby this time so we prefer to do a beach day with everything included.

You are very welcome. If you want a beach day with everything included, Mr Sanchos offers the AI section. Chankanaab is not considered an AI (although you probably already know this, just wanted to make sure :))

Good morning,

I am new to this website. I really enjoyed reading your post. I am set for my first BA cruise in May to Bermuda, and have a couple of quick questions....hopefully I didn't miss these and if I did, I apologize. How much did the bus passes cost? I don't want to pay for excursions if we can do the beaches by taking buses for cheaper. The agent I booked the trip through told me the UBP is all inclusive and we prepaid grats...so he said we wouldn't be charged anything extra in port....is this true? I thought I read in your post while docked they charged extra fees?? Thanks for your help.