Tropical Storm Patricia

JuliaMS

This is predicted to build to a hurricane and make landfall around Puerto Vallarta on Sat 10/24. Our cruise leaves on 5/25, and we are scheduled to be in PV 10/28 and Mazatlan 10/29. If PV was just hit by a hurricane will we go there 3 days later? If the storm stalls will they reroute the ship? In the Caribbean they just go to different ports, not sure what they will do here.

I have never needed sea sickness pills before, will this trip likely be rougher?

From Weather Channel: The threat for wind damage and storm surge will depend on how much Patricia intensifies between now and when it makes landfall. Regardless of how strong it becomes, Patricia may dump 6-12 inches (locally 20 inches) of rain over the Mexican states of Jalisco, Colima, Michoacan and Guerrero. Life-threatening flash flooding and mudslides are possible.

Edited by JuliaMS

If there is damage before your cruise leaves, they can change the itinerary, or Puerta Vallarta day would become another sea day. They will not take you there is there is significant damage.

That's what I assumed, but any idea what they would change it to? Would they do Ca Coast instead or just 2 days in Cabo?

I'm on that Princess Cruise (Ruby Princess), and would greatly prefer an overnight in Cabo San Lucas (it's a tender port anyway, so no dock fee required) vs a stop in Ensenada. Been to Ensenada twice, and although I haven't done the winery tour yet, it's a place I'd rather not waste another day visiting. Medano Beach in Cabo is a much better choice to kill an extra day.

The NCL Sun is supposed to be in Cabo today, but I don't think it is. Does anyone know the changes made? I leave Saturday.

Update: Actually looks like it just left Cabo. They were probably far enough away where it didn't bother them.

Edited by ano

The latest:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3163

I have two friends leaving on the Sun on Saturday. The first 3 days are sea days as they are heading to Acapulco so there will be plenty of time to change the itinerary if necessary.

Cabo is not under threat. May get some rain.

From Weather channel " The projected path for Patricia shows that the center of the hurricane will make landfall late Friday somewhere on the coast from near Manzanillo to near Puerto Vallarta. Note that even areas outside the projected path, including Manzanillo, could see significant impacts from Patricia.

A dangerous storm surge is expected to produce significant coastal flooding near and to the right of where the center of Patricia makes landfall. In addition, Mexico's national water comission, CONAGUA, warned Thursday that waves of up to 12 meters (39 feet) may crash onto beaches near the landfall point.

Some additional strengthening is possible given a favorable environment that includes particularly warm sea-surface temperatures and very low vertical wind shear. Patricia has the potential to become a Category 5 storm for a time overnight.

map_tropalrt20_ltst_5nhpao_enus_650x366.jpg

I'm on that Princess Cruise (Ruby Princess), and would greatly prefer an overnight in Cabo San Lucas (it's a tender port anyway, so no dock fee required) vs a stop in Ensenada. Been to Ensenada twice, and although I haven't done the winery tour yet, it's a place I'd rather not waste another day visiting. Medano Beach in Cabo is a much better choice to kill an extra day.

There are dock fees incurred for the tender pier.

Update from Weather Channel

Mexico's Pacific Coast is bracing for a worst-case scenario after Hurricane Patricia became a Category 5 storm Thursday evening just 200 miles offshore while beginning an ominous northward turn. Its dangerous eye is expected to move onshore Friday night, potentially becoming the most powerful hurricane to cross Mexico's Pacific coastline in modern history.

Several million residents and the popular coastal resorts of Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo are in the path of Patricia, which is packing potentially catastrophic sustained winds as high as 160 mph and will also bring a formidable flood threat.

The latest:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3163

I have two friends leaving on the Sun on Saturday. The first 3 days are sea days as they are heading to Acapulco so there will be plenty of time to change the itinerary if necessary.

Cabo is not under threat. May get some rain.

Now Category 5. I'm on it as well. There really isn't a problem for our cruise because the hurricane will be gone by the time we get there, and it really won't cross near us. Our problem is that we are scheduled to visit Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta and these ports or towns might not still be there to visit. They are being evacuated now.

To give you some appreciation for this storm, its now the second largest hurricane ever in the Pacific. Only Linda in 1997 was bigger, and luckily Linda never hit shore. If this one does, it could be the biggest one ever to do so.

Edited by ano

Our problem is that we are scheduled to visit Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta and these ports or towns might not still be there to visit.

Or they most likely will be flooded and damaged and not need us there. At this point I am assuming we won't be going to Puerto Vallarta. I just can't see it being ready for guests by Wed.

I am confident the cruise lines are all watching very carefully and have contingency plans they are updating constantly. Where we go is out of our control, not like they will take a vote. I do hope they add a 2nd day in Cabo but we get what we get. Be prepared for heat and rain on the port days.

Now Category 5. I'm on it as well. There really isn't a problem for our cruise because the hurricane will be gone by the time we get there, and it really won't cross near us. Our problem is that we are scheduled to visit Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta and these ports or towns might not still be there to visit. They are being evacuated now.

Patricia is supposed to make landfall between Manzanillo and Vallarta Friday at around 1 pm local time. Right now there is some light rain, nothing more. The airport will be closed Friday and depending damage might open Saturday at 8 am. Difficult to tell how much damage Vallarta will have, in the past the bay also protected most of the city.

We just hope things will not be too bad out there.

Really glad not to be cruising the Mexican Riviera this year. With Hurricane Patricia at Category 5, the impact zone includes a lot of the cities we have visited aboard the Norwegian Star out of Los Angeles: Acapulco, Ixtapa, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazalan... this one is going to hurt a lot of people. Definitely pray for the safety of those this will affect.