1st Cruise, Can't Decide

Tammynbrian

My wife has requested a cruise for her 40th birthday and we will be taking one for the first time.

I've booked on the Norwegian Gem for March 2017 on a 10 day Eastern Caribbean. Her birthday will be during the cruise, so that makes it extra special. I've booked an aft mini suite. I really have been thinking about how much I'd like to swing for a Haven suite but at 2.5x the price of the mini-suite (a jump from 4k to 10k), I can't afford it.

I've been looking around and actually found a 7 day Flordia/Bahamas Nov. 2016 sailing on the Breakaway where a Haven is 4.5k. I want to do it but think that going in the beginning of winter isn't good (she wants something to look forward to after only our 3rd winter in snow since moving from San Francisco) and the timing of the Gem being at sea for her actual birthday are 2 things that can't be missed.

Talk me out of switching please! I've just heard so many good things about the Haven, am I really missing out by taking an aft mini-suite with an extra 3 days?

Thanks for the help!

My wife has requested a cruise for her 40th birthday and we will be taking one for the first time.

I've booked on the Norwegian Gem for March 2017 on a 10 day Eastern Caribbean. Her birthday will be during the cruise, so that makes it extra special. I've booked an aft mini suite. I really have been thinking about how much I'd like to swing for a Haven suite but at 2.5x the price of the mini-suite (a jump from 4k to 10k), I can't afford it.

I've been looking around and actually found a 7 day Flordia/Bahamas Nov. 2016 sailing on the Breakaway where a Haven is 4.5k. I want to do it but think that going in the beginning of winter isn't good (she wants something to look forward to after only our 3rd winter in snow since moving from San Francisco) and the timing of the Gem being at sea for her actual birthday are 2 things that can't be missed.

Talk me out of switching please! I've just heard so many good things about the Haven, am I really missing out by taking an aft mini-suite with an extra 3 days?

Thanks for the help!

Suite might spoil you for anything else:eek:

Ten days is always better than seven.

Edited by pspercy

Thanks for the help!

If I had to choose between the awesome 10-day birthday cruise or going earlier and enjoying the Haven for 7 days, I really think I would choose going on my birthday. Don't get me wrong, I love the suite, as we had an aft-Penthouse on the Jewel for our first (currently only) cruise, but the idea of going on a cruise ON my milestone birthday versus going on a cruise FOR it is more attractive to me. The Haven is certainly tempting, though, but there's something about celebrating THAT birthday ON the actual day. And while you're onboard, book your next cruise and choose a Haven. You have a while to use it and generally get instant onboard credit. Win win!

I wish you luck in your decision!

My wife has requested a cruise for her 40th birthday and we will be taking one for the first time. I've booked on the Norwegian Gem for March 2017 on a 10 day Eastern Caribbean. Her birthday will be during the cruise, so that makes it extra special. I've booked an aft mini suite. I really have been thinking about how much I'd like to swing for a Haven suite but at 2.5x the price of the mini-suite (a jump from 4k to 10k), I can't afford it. I've been looking around and actually found a 7 day Flordia/Bahamas Nov. 2016 sailing on the Breakaway where a Haven is 4.5k. I want to do it but think that going in the beginning of winter isn't good (she wants something to look forward to after only our 3rd winter in snow since moving from San Francisco) and the timing of the Gem being at sea for her actual birthday are 2 things that can't be missed

So,,, you have two real questions in play here. First to suite or not suite. Then there is a question about the ship. And you will get as many opinions about both as there are people reading this thread.

My DW and I are Platinum members in multiple cruise lines and have stayed in suites and regular rooms (most recently in a 2 bedroom family Haven on the NCL Epic).

My recommendation would be to (1) book one of the "mega ships" (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape) for the variety of things to do on board. For your first cruise, see and do everything. (2) Consider sailing out of Miami (IMHO, the Breakaway Florida/Bahamas is not the greatest itinerary - we were on the very first voyage of the Breakaway on that itinerary, making maiden calls on those ports). (3) consider a nice mid-ship balcony. I fear that the word "suite" in the term mini-suite is raising your expectations. Research via YouTube. They are just slightly bigger balcony rooms on the Megaships. On the Jewel class ships (Gem) the big difference is a bathtub vs shower. (4) book a thermal suite package for $200 pp for the week and go enjoy the saunas, steam, and hydrotherapy pools. (5) do something special for her birthday. Spend the $8 and have room service bring you breakfast in bed. Buy a birthday package and have your steward put up balloons and streamers and bring a cake. Book a dinner at a specialty restaurant. Dance the night away. (6) watch the prices and do it in March 2016.

Have a great cruise.

I'd definitely go with Gem and mini-suite - ten days is so much better and as a midsized ship, Gem is IMO a better choice for a first cruise, especially for one with a special occasion.

BUT, I wouldn't rule out non-Haven suites (especially the cheapest ones, SF and SE) on Gem - you'd get all the suite perks with only exception of the access to Haven sundeck area - and usually for much cheaper price.

I have been several times in a non-Haven suite on Dawn class and Jewel class ships and do not feel like I was missing much.

So if I was you, I'd stay put and watch for price drops for those SF or SE suites and upgrade to one if the price difference would be acceptable.

Edited by Demonyte

Cruise is all about destinations and not having to unpack/pack at each stop. So maximize your shore time and soak up the sunshine! Stick with 10 day trip. Plus Bahamas aren't great stops, also Nov has tropical storm chances.

We usually avoid Carib and Bahamas in fall due to storm chances. Spring is great time to go! You'll love it [emoji41]

More days. Birthday aboard. Money left over for another cruise. For me the decision would be easy.

Same for us. If we could pick any ship, any itinerary it would be an aft cabin on the 10 day Gem. Much better choice for first time cruisers too. The Gem is our favorite ship, better crew (more attentive with much better service), aft balcony our favorite cabin, and much better itinerary/ ports.

Happy bday, and safe sailing

it also depends on which of the Haven suites is such a good deal. It looks like some of them have small balconies, and have an odd slanted ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those who says the only people who say that the room size doesn't matter because you are never in your room are the ones who have never stayed in a suite. But, all suites are not created equal.

We are sticking with our original plan for sure! So much support for it on here and people seem to love the Gem.

For reference, the haven suite on the breakaway we looked it is an aft facing with a huge 250 sqft balcony (I think in the photos that it's the top right side, it's huge).

But being on her birthday, at the end of winter instead of start, 10 vs 7 days, and not having to stop in Port Canaveral... We are going to stick with our March 9 Gem cruise!

My first cruise is coming up in December on the Jewel, so I can't help you out with cabins. But I was also thinking about the Haven and ended up just going with an aft suite. The thing that swayed me was I assumed the Haven was adult-only. But it's not. Families with kids can stay there too. Now I know 99% of kids are well behaved, but there's not much you can do if a baby starts crying or a toddler gets fussy. I didn't want to take the chance. The Haven is too expensive for that.

Check the deck plans. If you are in an aft on 11, change it. Get a mini or balcony mid ship with cabins above & below . Noise from the pool deck would be a real bother.

The Breakaway is a great ship, but the itinerary is just so so. I'd grab the Gem 10 day for the ports.

Get the thermal pass, which you can book on line for a discount about 90 days before the cruise. I would bet you won't miss the Haven.

Check the deck plans. If you are in an aft on 11, change it. Get a mini or balcony mid ship with cabins above & below . Noise from the pool deck would be a real bother.

I read this reading reviews of our exact room - that at 5:30am there is noise from setting up chairs, etc that lasts about 15 minutes.

I don't have a reference for what's better about the mini-suite compared to the balcony. I know we want aft facing though.

Go on the gem and then book the Breakaway to Bermuda.. I am sure the Haven is spectacular but with two of us we just get a balcony on Breakaway towards the Aft. Then we purchase the extra as. Vibe, speciality dining, spa if weather looks iffy.. Those extras really make our vacation special and we still come no where near the price of Haven. We take the drink package as our freebie.

Bermuda is spectacular..

Let us know how the gem is.. We have the Oct 15th 8 day on the Gem booked Nyc to San Juan.. Same room as you.. It will also be great to see what takes place with Gem dry dock.. I love the Breakaway so I was hesitant for the gem but now excited.. There is nothing like the Caribbean waters..

I read this reading reviews of our exact room - that at 5:30am there is noise from setting up chairs, etc that lasts about 15 minutes.

I don't have a reference for what's better about the mini-suite compared to the balcony. I know we want aft facing though.

That was a rookie mistake I made on our first cruise. The mini suites on the Gem have a tub. I would look at an aft balcony on 10

We loved the Gem, and as a bonus for you, it is being refurbished in November (I think - may be wrong on the date, but it is well before your cruise). We found our mini-suite on the Gem to be absolutely great (we were forward, but an aft-facing cabin is one we are still waiting to try). There isn't that much difference between a mini-suite and a regular balcony cabin; the stateroom is a bit larger and the bathroom includes a tub rather than just a shower. But I would trade down to a balcony that wasn't under the Great Outdoors (an outside eatery that I think is what is above you if people are hearing chair moving in the early morning).

The larger ships are more like staying in a Vegas resort. It's easy to forget you are at sea. The Gem is a great ship, and you really feel a connection to the ocean ... you can walk outside on the promenade deck for a few quiet moments (amazingly few people do that in the evening). I would really recommend it for your first cruise.

You guys will have a blast!