identification for children

bubba83

Were going on a closed loop cruise out of Baltimore in April on Grandeur of the Seas through Royal. (Western sailing)

We have three children who will be sailing and ages will be 3, 5, and 7. I know we have to bring their birth certificates as we will not have passports for them, but is there any other identification that is needed? I know for adults without a passport you need birth certificate and photo id.

Thanks!

Well that should be interesting asking a 3 year old her birthday... She always shares in February but doesn't remember the date, and I haven even told her the year.... And honestly I don't think my 5 year old knows the year she was born either...

Nope...the BC is all you need. Under 16 needs no photo ID.

Once, at an amusement park, my 3 year old was questioned about his age, since he was a tall kid....he wasn't sure how old he was! Pissed me off....(Under 4 was free!) After we started to raise our voices, they let us in.....asses.

Edited by cb at sea

wait, you do not need passports for kids on cruises? we just went through the whole process to get them.

No you don't need them if your starting and ending in the same port... At least that's the way it is in the USA for many closed loop itineraries.... Adults don't even need them either depending... Just your photo ID and certified/original birth certificate

Although having passports is the best incase something happens when your in a different country... My husband and I have ours but we don't find it beneficial financially to get them for our young kiddos at this time

As stated, kids don't need the passport to cruise closed loop in the US.

However, if something happens and you need to fly home from an international airport, everyone needs a passport, regardless of age. They are good to have for everyone in your party, just in case.

wait, you do not need passports for kids on cruises? we just went through the whole process to get them.

It's not about being kids -- if you need a passport at one age, you need one at every age. For US citizens on closed loop cruises departing from the US and visiting the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, and Bermuda (maybe a couple of others?) you do not have to have a passport if you have the right kind of birth certificate, plus Government issued photo ID for those over 16.

Passports are a safer option for everyone since they allow the option to easily fly home from abroad if needed. We got one for DS before his first cruise at 10 months and will make sure he always has one.

Edit: Check with your cruise line though, some of them have stricter rules and make their own decision that passports are required.

Edited by gymbomb

I sailed with and without passports for me and my children an official birth certificate is fine, however it must be the original document not a photo copy.

Here's a note of caution: At several of the ports all passengers were “REQUIRED” to take their passports (birth certificates if you were traveling w/o a passport) and Photo Id with them. Customs would not allow you off the ship without it. You had to present it to the Customs agent both getting on and off the ship. This was in the Bahamas for Freeport and Nassau. Both were beach days for us, I felt really uneasy about losing an original US Birth Certificate in a foreign country or worst having it stolen. For unlike a passport you can call and alert the US Department of State and have it deactivated or flagged as lost or stolen.

This time around I have opted to travel with passports for everyone.

Actually Princess requires a passport for children. The official rule is birth certificate, but cruise lines can set their own requirements and after some issues Princess requires a passport for children.

Mine have one but my sister's son (my nephew) does not. If you cruise a lot I would or are thinking about a trip where you need one then get one. the more you cruise more likely you will one day have a problem, but for occasional trips it is not worth the hassle and cost as they are only good for kids for five years.

No. The birth certificates are fine. Make sure your kids know their birthdays though. Customs questioned my kids at embarkation and debarkation.

Well that should be interesting asking a 3 year old her birthday... She always shares in February but doesn't remember the date, and I haven even told her the year.... And honestly I don't think my 5 year old knows the year she was born either...

Yeah, pretty much the funniest thing ever. I think they tried to ask my kids their names when they were 13 months. I believe when the child cringes back and wraps themselves around daddy's leg, it provides proof that you are the parent. :D Actually, it's likely that they are looking for the reaction as much as the actual answer to the question, as they do with adults.

We've never seen a custom agent at embarkation though. Only the cruise line employee/contractor doing the check in process, then ships' security during boarding.

• 2 weeks later...