What's "Main" dining?

TiogaCruiser

Just booked a sort of last minute cruise for next month. I got to choose between "main" and "anytime". Interesting, there was no time listed for "Main". HALs website didn't give a hint as to what time, first seating or second. I can choose table size, but there is no indication of which seating.

So could anyone shed light on which is Main, and what time that is? This is Mexican Rivera. ( I'm kind of surprised assigned is still available).

Thanks- TC

We have been on ships that had the "Main" fixed dining time at 7:45.

The Open Seating dining is from 5:15 - 9 PM.

You can show up anytime you want to between those hours. Or you can make reservations between 5:15 - 6:16 and 7:30 - 9 PM for any size table you want. Also you can make reservations for 3 days at a time.

Back in the Dark Ages when I was a TA, most cruiselines had main {early} and late seating. For some reason, even back then, HAL had early and main (late). No idea why the difference but we had a fairly affluent clientele and booked HAl a lot so that really sticks in my mind.