Can I plug an external drive into an iLounge computer?

GottaKnowWhen

My basic question is as above: Can I plug an external drive into an iLounge computer? From the website description of the iLounge it sounds like the expected typical user is going to be accessing email, web surfing, doing other internet stuff. So I wonder if that is all that can be done, and if the USB ports are disabled as they often are on corporate and public systems

I am trying to think of ways to slim down my baggage. I carry a laptop which I only need to use as a mechanism to download and backup photos. (Anything else can be done on my iPad.) On a typical three-week trip I accumulate 500-600GB DNG-format photo files and my process has been to download the images from my SD card(s) nightly to the laptop, with duplicate copies going to an external SSD. And then reusing the SD cards.

If I ditch the laptop, if I can use the iLounge computers to copy the files from the SD cards to my SSD, if I don't reuse the SD cards, then I will have a relatively secure backed-up set of images without the bulk and weight of the laptop. I'll use the 2nd slot on the camera to capture jpeg duplicates which I can load to my iPad for viewing/sharing along the way and with no concerns about losing or over-writing those jpegs which are basically throwaways... This scheme hinges on being able to use someone else's system (i.e., the iLounge) to copy/backup my SD cards. (Yes, I know that there are free-standing drives which incorporate a card reader. I would just as soon not need to deal with, and pay for, the extra functionality and added complexity of those devices.)

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

I remember being told on Eclipse, that they will copy to disc for you, so I suspect you cannot plug into one of the computers in the iLounge.

We actually had this done for us in 2008, but I can't remember how much it cost.

Our local schools won't allow teachers to use their personal USB memory sticks on the school computers, due to the possible transfer of viruses.

And we all know how easily viruses spread on cruise ships :( ;)

Had to deal with such restrictions in many work situations; I hoped the iLounge would be more open but am not too surprised to hear that it may not be. Even though I have never seen a virus or any evidence of a virus on any of my many mac computers over the years...

No, all external ports/drives are blocked. I had exactly the same issue, wanting to just bring my iPad and leave my MacBook Pro at home, but I ended up brining both.

Thanks for the info. I may just order a shipload of 64GB cards (@about $375 total) and a memory card backup system (@ about $450). Hmmm. Or maybe I'll just carry the laptop...

Stan

Thanks for the info. I may just order a shipload of 64GB cards (@about $375 total) and a memory card backup system (@ about $450). Hmmm. Or maybe I'll just carry the laptop...

Stan

One option I'd considered but didn't pursue was a wireless external backup drive to use with the iPad. Decided to save the money and simply accept carrying the laptop when cruising.

Why not just buy extra SD cards, they really don't cost that much.

My workflow is to fill my SD cards, periodically downloading the RAW DNG via a computer to my external SSD. If said computer is my own laptop, then the computer is copy #1, the external drive is copy #2, and I can reformat and reuse my cards. If said computer is someone else's, like in the iLounge for example, then my copy #2 would be on the external and copy #1 would still be on the original card. And with only two copies, I would not reformat, reuse the SD cards. So what I was proposing already requires that I buy a bunch of 64GB or 128GB cards, and the good ones are not all that cheap.

I am figuring it will be about $375-400 for what I will need. Individual files are about 70MB, 6500-7500 images typically over 3-4 weeks. (Plus the 1000-1500 images, smaller file size, that my wife will be shooting.) I have friends that shoot that much in two or three days and they use the laptop + external drive(s) solution; I am trying to slim down and go light. I am even leaving some lenses home! And I will probably leave my second camera home and just take my first one with my third one as a backup just in case.

Stan

My thought on if USB ports are blocked on some ships, just unplug the mouse and use that USB port and the track pad to move the cursor. They are MAC's.

Normally you block certain types of USB devices, not USB ports. E.g. you can allow keyboard and mouse and block USB data drives so it doesn't matter which port you use, keyboard/mouse will always work and USB drives not.

Normally you block certain types of USB devices, not USB ports. E.g. you can allow keyboard and mouse and block USB data drives so it doesn't matter which port you use, keyboard/mouse will always work and USB drives not.

Right. I agree that if there is any blockage it is going to be via a software patch rather than any physical obstruction. That is how the IT guys at my (former) place of work were blocking USB 10+ years ago.

But Curt's first reply noted that he had used a USB stick with no problem. The Mac OS recognizes a USB stick as an external drive, an SD card in its card reader as an external drive, and a SSD or HDD as an external drive. So if one works, they all should work and thus his experience on one ship gives me hope that I will have the same situation on other Celebrity ships. I will know for certain in 25 days.

Stan

Right. I agree that if there is any blockage it is going to be via a software patch rather than any physical obstruction. That is how the IT guys at my (former) place of work were blocking USB 10+ years ago.

But Curt's first reply noted that he had used a USB stick with no problem. The Mac OS recognizes a USB stick as an external drive, an SD card in its card reader as an external drive, and a SSD or HDD as an external drive. So if one works, they all should work and thus his experience on one ship gives me hope that I will have the same situation on other Celebrity ships. I will know for certain in 25 days.

Stan

Conversely, I couldn't access the USB port with a thumb drive and was told by an iLounge employee that all the external ports were blocked for security reasons. I don't doubt Curt's experience, and put it down to different ships and/or different times. Anyway, Stan, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. And please let us know how it works out, as we'll be back on the Eclipse in March.

... Anyway, Stan, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst....

Plans made, preparing for the worst, placing the orders with B&H later this morning. But still hoping!

... And please let us know how it works out, as we'll be back on the Eclipse in March.

I will do that.

Stan

Last year on the Equinox iLounge used an external hard drive and SD cards successfully in the iMacs to transfer and backup photos

Additional convoluted option since they have classes on iPads I would imagine involve syncing with your computer that syncing of an iPad is an option (depending on if you have enough free storage) for backing up files from an SD.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk