Night before Cruise

canuckinindia

Wanted some recommendation from seasoned travellers to the FLL/MIA area. Landing on January 2nd at an international flight, two people likely three suitcases.

Current plan is to

- land @ 7:30pm

- rent a car from airport

- have dinner somewhere nice in Miami

- check in to a hotel (MIA? / FLL?)

- wanted to do some morning shopping

- pick up some of our friends who land @ 11:30am from FLL (optional, only if we have a car otherwise they will grab a taxi)

- drop everyone for check-in around ~12:30 to Port Everglades

- drop off rental car

- enjoy a late lunch on board

Questions

1. Assuming all goes reasonably (customs, rental car, travel time to destination) is feasible to have dinner in the Miami Beach area or will it not be worth the effort?

2. Is it better to drive to FLL at night and stay at a hotel there or stay back in MIA hotel?

3. Rental car or Airport shuttle? Don't want to complicate life with rental but seemed on the surface to be the best option given multiple transfers and suitcases

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do think a rental car is the best option for you considering the amount of traveling you plan to do once you arrive in Florida.

Is your cruise departing from Miami or Port Everglades? If port Everglades, I would suggest you stay the night in Ft. Lauderdale. Miami's hotels are generally much more expensive and if you need to be in Ft. Lauderdale anyways it doesn't quite make sense.

It can be anywhere from a 40 minute plus drive to Miami given traffic conditions and even longer to Miami Beach. It's totally up to you if you are wiling to make that round trip drive to Miami Beach just for dinner given the fact that your plane doesn't land until 7:30, but my opinion is that you won't have enough time. Landing at 7:30 doesn't mean out of the airport by 7:30. You still have customs, luggage claim, the rental car pick up, hotel check in. That's a lot to squeeze in in one evening.

Landing at MIA? :confused: Cruising form Port Everglades?

I would choose to stay at an MIA airport hotel, ride the shuttle, grab dinner and crash. Make your way to Port Everglades the next day -- several good hotels (Hilton, Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Sofitel, etc.) in the Blue lagoon area near MIA with shopping and dining options nearby.

I think it will be tight that first night. If you land on time you might not be out of the airport terminal until 9:00 pm. Do you really want to get a rental car. Why not take a taxi to a downtown Maimi hotel and then try to get dinner.

Then if your cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale take a shuttle over there the next morning.

Keith

I would hop in the car, drive to Fort Lauderdale, stay at The Riverside Hotel, park the car, walk down Las Olas Boulevard and have a nice, late dinner at Big City Tavern, JohnnyVs, Café Europa, Louie Bossi, Sweet Nectar, or Roccos Tacos.

Cheesecake Factory, Big City Tavern, Louie Bossi, and Roccos Tacos serve until midnight.

I would hop in the car, drive to Fort Lauderdale, stay at The Riverside Hotel, park the car, walk down Las Olas Boulevard and have a nice, late dinner at Big City Tavern, JohnnyVs, Café Europa, Louie Bossi, Sweet Nectar, or Roccos Tacos.

Cheesecake Factory, Big City Tavern, Louie Bossi, and Roccos Tacos serve until midnight.

Saving this one for next year, thanks BH. :)

Are there Miami hotels with shuttles to Port Everglades?

NO. :( The drive from the MIA airport to the FLL area - depending slightly upon where your hotel is located and traffic - will take about an hour.

I like Blue Heron's suggestion - but I would skip the rental car and rely n a limo/car service or taxi to get from MIA to FLL.

I like Blue Heron's suggestion - but I would skip the rental car and rely n a limo/car service or taxi to get from MIA to FLL.

That's an even better idea! The OP will pay for parking at The Riverside. This way the limo can drop them off at the hotel.

Or use Uber. I think Uber is only around $50.

If you've never used it before, please use my promo code to get $20 off your ride making it $30.

Uber Promo Code: e27tw

That's an even better idea! The OP will pay for parking at The Riverside. This way the limo can drop them off at the hotel.

Or use Uber. I think Uber is only around $50.

If you've never used it before, please use my promo code to get $20 off your ride making it $30.

Uber Promo Code: e27tw

Regular user of uber have used them on three continents and more than a half dozen countries.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk