childrens programs

rugrat

Can anyone comment on the HAL club childrens programs? We are traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam in January with our 5 year old grandson and are looking for some information or suggestions. This is also our first trip with Holland America.

On our last HAL cruise our kids were 10, 8 & 5 and they all LOVED Club HAL. They were begging to go back there every hour they were open. I have heard some people claim their kids did not like the kids' club on just about all the cruise lines. All I can tell you is that my kids loved it and are looking forward to being in them again.

Can anyone comment on the HAL club childrens programs? We are traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam in January with our 5 year old grandson and are looking for some information or suggestions. This is also our first trip with Holland America.

Welcome to HAL.

Here is a link to Club HAL activities for five-year old kids in Alaska to give you an idea of what things HAL does to keep kids happy.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-3-7.pdf

I am leaving on the Eurodam today and will try to get the Caribbean Club HAL activities for you.

Club HAL is the best kept secret Holland America has, in my opinion. My son was 7 the first time we cruised and out daughter 10. They both loved it, ever more than the children's club on Disney. Hard to believe but for our family HAL is the best fit and Club HAL is the reason. The programme is varied and geared towards 3 age groups. Your grandson will be in the 3 to 7 year old group. It is open from 9 in the morning until 11:30 then 1:00 to 4:30 and again from 7 through 10:00. This allows a good mix of family time and Club activities.

Your grandson can expect to have a pj movie night, treasure hunt, making his own breakfast in the culinary arts centre, Club HAL Olympics, arts and crafts, games and sports. For his age group there are no video games. I have included some pictures for you from both the Volendam and Westerdam. The Ryndam is no longer a HAL ship so I did not include those.

ry%3D400

For the young ones there is lots of room for imaginative play and organized activities. I am sure he will enjoy his time onboard. As the guardians you will have to sign him in and out and you will be asked to include where on the ship you plan to be so they can find you if necessary. When you go through check in at the port he will be given a coloured bracelet with the number of the life boat station so in case of emergency you will not have to find him, the Club HAL staff will bring him right to the life boat station.

My two are now 11 and 14 and still want to sail only HAL and that is because of Club HAL. Honest!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Any comments on activities for s 13 year old girl? Taking our DD and DGD on Alaskan cruise and am hoping there will be enough to keep DGD interested on sea days

We were on the Westerdam for 20 days in April with our DD who was 13 at the time. The program for teens is called The Loft and all are age appropriate. You will receive the next day's itinerary for the Loft in your mail slot the night before so your teen can plan (or decide what to wear :rolleyes:). There is no sign-in for teens and they are free to leave when they want without signing out. Our DD knows that I would freak if she did that so she always stayed, plus DS was in Club HAL. They do not have to have a wrist band with life boat station but our DD requested one from the front desk. No problem.

They have access to all the new technology in video games and can use them when they want but there is also organized activities with supervision. Dance parties at night, movies, sports, games and crafts. DD was collected one morning to make waffles for breakfast.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I put many of the 20 days of programs on another site so they would be available (Club HAL too). If you google "HAL information" and go to the site that should come first you will see info and pictures on all ships. Click on General Information and go right to the bottom of the screen where you will find "miscellaneous info". Click on Club HAL Westerdam April 2015 for both Club HAL and The LOFT activity itineraries for the Panama Canal repositioning cruise.

I have to say the entire HAL crew pays wonderful attention to children on HAL. We cruised with my nephews on the Eurodam when they were 4 and 7. They choose not to utilize club HAL so I can't comment on that facility. But I can tell you that so many of the crew made it a special point to talk to our nephews, especially during dinning hours. So many of the crew have young ones they are missing at home and love to connect with the kids on board.

Club HAL is the best kept secret Holland America has, in my opinion. My son was 7 the first time we cruised and out daughter 10. They both loved it, ever more than the children's club on Disney. Hard to believe but for our family HAL is the best fit and Club HAL is the reason. The programme is varied and geared towards 3 age groups. Your grandson will be in the 3 to 7 year old group. It is open from 9 in the morning until 11:30 then 1:00 to 4:30 and again from 7 through 10:00. This allows a good mix of family time and Club activities.

Your grandson can expect to have a pj movie night, treasure hunt, making his own breakfast in the culinary arts centre, Club HAL Olympics, arts and crafts, games and sports. For his age group there are no video games. I have included some pictures for you from both the Volendam and Westerdam. The Ryndam is no longer a HAL ship so I did not include those.

ry%3D400

For the young ones there is lots of room for imaginative play and organized activities. I am sure he will enjoy his time onboard. As the guardians you will have to sign him in and out and you will be asked to include where on the ship you plan to be so they can find you if necessary. When you go through check in at the port he will be given a coloured bracelet with the number of the life boat station so in case of emergency you will not have to find him, the Club HAL staff will bring him right to the life boat station.

My two are now 11 and 14 and still want to sail only HAL and that is because of Club HAL. Honest!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Wow, great info. Who knew Holland America offered so much for little kids. Thanks

Itinerary and time of year will greatly affect the number of children in the program. A club Hal rep told me she had 300 children on a summer cruise and 17 on a winter cruise. I think the young man will enjoy a lot of attention on a January cruise.

My son sailed with us frequently at that age. That was 20 years ago so there are bound to be changes, but if anything I'm sure Club HAL has only gotten better. There were times he was part of a small group, sometimes a little larger. Never anything like you'd see on for example Disney or Royal Caribbean....but completely age appropriate, fun activities. I always thought the kids program to be underestimated, our son loved it.

Any comments on activities for s 13 year old girl? Taking our DD and DGD on Alaskan cruise and am hoping there will be enough to keep DGD interested on sea days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As requested:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-13-17.pdf

We were on the Westerdam for 20 days in April with our DD who was 13 at the time. The program for teens is called The Loft and all are age appropriate. You will receive the next day's itinerary for the Loft in your mail slot the night before so your teen can plan (or decide what to wear :rolleyes:). There is no sign-in for teens and they are free to leave when they want without signing out. Our DD knows that I would freak if she did that so she always stayed, plus DS was in Club HAL. They do not have to have a wrist band with life boat station but our DD requested one from the front desk. No problem.

They have access to all the new technology in video games and can use them when they want but there is also organized activities with supervision. Dance parties at night, movies, sports, games and crafts. DD was collected one morning to make waffles for breakfast.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I put many of the 20 days of programs on another site so they would be available (Club HAL too). If you google "HAL information" and go to the site that should come first you will see info and pictures on all ships. Click on General Information and go right to the bottom of the screen where you will find "miscellaneous info". Click on Club HAL Westerdam April 2015 for both Club HAL and The LOFT activity itineraries for the Panama Canal repositioning cruise.

Amazing amount of information and photos! Having been on your children's last cruise, I had no idea just how much the HAL club and The Loft had to offer, I just remember how much both your kids enjoyed it.

Amazing amount of information and photos! Having been on your children's last cruise, I had no idea just how much the HAL club and The Loft had to offer, I just remember how much both your kids enjoyed it.

Bolding is mine...:p :) :p They would be tickled to know it was their cruise!!!

I know, but it struck me as amusing and that doesn't happen too often these days so I thank you.

Now...wasn't that a party? They had a blast and Club HAL is a big part of that but so was our amazing roll call who made them feel so welcome and included. Then the great staff who always had a nice word. The dining room staff, including the wine steward, were always asking them if there was anything you could do. We had a great laugh when DS's red shorts went missing in the laundry thinking about their adventures in other cabins since there were only about 10 children on board and none his size. Yes the shorts were found.

ry%3D400

DD was the biggest Disney Princess fan but she hated the pre teen area on the Disney Magic. It scared her. It was made to look like a basement. We have enough of darkness all winter we don't want it on vacation. Believe me, it was a surprise to DH and myself but we would not force her to go. DS just plunked himself in front of computer screens on Disney and we never saw him. Not good for family time. Club HAL rules in my book and we actually like our children!

ry%3D400

So much fun AND they pulled their school lessons "off the cloud" whatever that means. They went back to school and the note came back home from the teacher of DS "I could never teach him what he learned".

Perfect!

If you have questions fire away. Our boys (now 7 and 10) have been on three HAL cruises. They LOVE Club Hal.

In fact at 10 pm, its almost impossible to get them out of there as they want to stay and keep having fun.

The younger kids program (which your granddaughter will be in) includes arts, crafts, games, activities and nightly themed parties. The last night of the cruise is generally a PJ party to allow parents to pack.

The Club HAL on the Nieuw Amsterdam is the biggest and best we have been on so far (also the Zuiderdam and the Amsterdam). We are going on the Oosterdam in a couple of weeks and our kids cant stop talking about it.

One really nice thing compared to other lines is their port day activities. There previously was no additional cost for port days (other lines charge). So if your little one cant go on a tour, there is still activities for them to participate in.

They will get their own bulletin every couple of days with the itinerary on it. Highlights have been ice cream parties, family scavenger hunts, pizza making (they have cooking classes for Club HAL too and our kids love cooking) and just generally meeting new friends.

Our eldest, who is extremely shy, met a boy his age during a kids program (on another line but still), and that family will be joining us for the third time on our upcoming trip. They boys are excited to see each other again (and its been 5 years).

As one mom once said to me, it is the kids vacation too so Club HAL is perfect for their get away in a safe environment and allows the parents (or grandparents) some time to enjoy as well.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily