How can I help make your visit better?

drake2014

Drake,

What is it about the personnel changes at Freedom City that make you uncomfortable? We are leaning towards Sandcastle anyway, but thought Freedom City would be nice since it is walkable.

It's local drama and I don't want to burden visitors with it. Suffice it to say I don't have faith in their cooking anymore, some days it's great and some days it's garbage. No one is getting food poisoning or anything, it's just a risk to spend money and get crappy food.

It's local drama and I don't want to burden visitors with it. Suffice it to say I don't have faith in their cooking anymore, some days it's great and some days it's garbage. No one is getting food poisoning or anything, it's just a risk to spend money and get crappy food.

Appreciate the prompt insight as always. Decided on Sandcastle for sure and made reservations for DW and I.

If you are free on the 28th, stop by...I'll buy you a drink. :)

Hi Drake, just wanted to thank you for all your advice. We just got back, we rented a car and drove all over the island. Since we had a four-wheel-drive jeep we decided to go up into the mountains and explore. I'm not sure I would call those "roads" but it was a fabulous adventure with some amazing views. We ate at angry nares for lunch. Overall, a great day of driving, eating, drinking, beach time, renting a car is definitely a great way to go!

Hi Drake, just wanted to thank you for all your advice. We just got back, we rented a car and drove all over the island. Since we had a four-wheel-drive jeep we decided to go up into the mountains and explore. I'm not sure I would call those "roads" but it was a fabulous adventure with some amazing views. We ate at angry nares for lunch. Overall, a great day of driving, eating, drinking, beach time, renting a car is definitely a great way to go!

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Drake, just want to say thanks for this thread! Last week we stopped at St Croix and went to Sandcastle Beach. The staff were great, the island beautiful and most of all the beach was fantastic and gorgeous. Hope to plan a trip to stay on your island to really explore.

Thanks, Kathy

Did you take a cab to to Sandcastle? How much was the fare?

Thank you

• 6 months later...

I started looking on line for beaches and excursions while in port in November. I read that you can we get the #4 ferry ride to Protestant Cay instead of booking with the cruise line. We don't want to have lunch just a few hours in the water and enjoy the beach. Do we have to catch a cab to get to the ferry from the cruise ship? Is it far from the cruise port? Are the beaches nicer in Christiansted or Frederikstred?

Thanks for your help!

I started looking on line for beaches and excursions while in port in November. I read that you can we get the #4 ferry ride to Protestant Cay instead of booking with the cruise line. We don't want to have lunch just a few hours in the water and enjoy the beach. Do we have to catch a cab to get to the ferry from the cruise ship? Is it far from the cruise port? Are the beaches nicer in Christiansted or Frederikstred?

Thanks for your help!

You can always take the boat to Hotel on the Cay (that's the only thing on Protestant Cay so they run the boat) and enjoy the bar and restaurant there. You will need a cab to get to Christiansted to get on the boat. It leaves from the boardwalk so you can wander around and shop and drink.

It's a half-hour to 45 minutes from the cruise pier to Christiansted, should cost you $25.

Frederiksted beaches are better generally but hotel on the Cay is nice.

Drake,

Can you help me. I will be there Dec. 5th on a cruise docking in Frederiksted. We would like to go to the Cruzin Rum factory, Fort Frederik, Freedom City Surf board shop & grill, and some shopping around the pire. What is the best way to do them few things and the best order to do them? If it helps we would like to eat at the surf shop & grill.

Thank you for any help you can give to us.

Drake,

Can you help me. I will be there Dec. 5th on a cruise docking in Frederiksted. We would like to go to the Cruzin Rum factory, Fort Frederik, Freedom City Surf board shop & grill, and some shopping around the pire. What is the best way to do them few things and the best order to do them? If it helps we would like to eat at the surf shop & grill.

Thank you for any help you can give to us.

Sounds like a good day! According to the schedule your ship has a really early docking (7am) which is rare so here's how I would do it:

When you come off the ship wander around the waterfront for shopping and sights. Since it's such an early docking I'm not sure what will be open but you should be able to get a cup of coffee at Polly's and enjoy the views. The Fort might not be open yet but if it is this is a good time to go check it out.

Cruzan opens at 9am so you'll want to get headed that way around 8:45 or so, should be plenty of taxi vans willing to take you. I always recommend you take the earliest tour you can at Cruzan because they fill up later in the day.

When you get finished there head for Freedom City to eat and relax.

If the Fort was closed in the morning you can take the tour now.

I think that covers everything you asked for.

Enjoy your trip!

You can always take the boat to Hotel on the Cay (that's the only thing on Protestant Cay so they run the boat) and enjoy the bar and restaurant there. You will need a cab to get to Christiansted to get on the boat. It leaves from the boardwalk so you can wander around and shop and drink.

It's a half-hour to 45 minutes from the cruise pier to Christiansted, should cost you $25.

Frederiksted beaches are better generally but hotel on the Cay is nice.

If we stay in Frederiksted, what beach would you recommend? We enjoy snorkeling and/or a scenic beach with easy walk in. How far are the beaches from the pier? We would also love to find a few pieces of sea glass. I'm also trying to find a shop that makes jewelry out of sea glass.

I really appreciate your answering all our questions. Your a great help!

Edited by maryh307

If we stay in Frederiksted, what beach would you recommend? We enjoy snorkeling and/or a scenic beach with easy walk in. How far are the beaches from the pier? We would also love to find a few pieces of sea glass. I'm also trying to find a shop that makes jewelry out of sea glass.

I really appreciate your answering all our questions. Your a great help!

Sandcastle is lovely if you are looking for amenities, as is Freedom City. I go back and forth depending on my mood. Sandcastle is more relaxed and Freedom City is more lively.

Sandcastle is a less than 5 minute taxi ride, Freedom City is about a 5 minute walk.

Lots of seaglass on all the beaches here.

I saw your post about the seaglass jewelry but I'm sorry, I don't know anyone that does.

Thanks for the info about the beaches and that sea glass. Someone had responded to another post that Lea Ann Robson, who makes sea glass jewelry, lives near the cruise port. I don't do face book so I will have to search more on line to find her pieces and how to contact her.

Again,

Thank you

Mary

Edited by maryh307

Sounds like a good day! According to the schedule your ship has a really early docking (7am) which is rare so here's how I would do it:

When you come off the ship wander around the waterfront for shopping and sights. Since it's such an early docking I'm not sure what will be open but you should be able to get a cup of coffee at Polly's and enjoy the views. The Fort might not be open yet but if it is this is a good time to go check it out.

Cruzan opens at 9am so you'll want to get headed that way around 8:45 or so, should be plenty of taxi vans willing to take you. I always recommend you take the earliest tour you can at Cruzan because they fill up later in the day.

When you get finished there head for Freedom City to eat and relax.

If the Fort was closed in the morning you can take the tour now.

I think that covers everything you asked for.

Enjoy your trip!

Drake,

Thank you for all your help. All set now just to sit and wait until the cruise.

One other question...besides rum...what would you say would be the best things to take home with you?

Hi Drake,

I got a response from another thread about sea glass jewelry. Thought I would share this info in case someone else is interested. Lea Ann Robson creates and sells sea glass jewelry. Her web site if fromthecjewelry.com. We have been in touch and will meet near the sea wall and clock tower.

Thank you for all the other info about beaches.

Mary

Hi,

I was wondering what are the must see places in Frederiksted?

What is the area around the port like - is it like other Caribbean islands where you have the usual cruise ship shops?

Is there anywhere that you can get fresh coconut water (e.g. cut open the top of the coconut and drink the water straight out of it)?

Hi,

I was wondering what are the must see places in Frederiksted?

What is the area around the port like - is it like other Caribbean islands where you have the usual cruise ship shops?

Is there anywhere that you can get fresh coconut water (e.g. cut open the top of the coconut and drink the water straight out of it)?

Just within the town? Hmmm, the beaches, the bars and restaurants along King Street, the churches up the hill, all of the old danish architecture.

We aren't nearly as dependent on tourism for our economy as most islands so it's not as crazy when a ship docks. There will be tents with vendors on the waterfront and there are a few little shops (Molly's and Franklin's) around Polly's that you can check out. But the town of Frederiksted is pretty sleepy even on ship days. I usually forget there's a ship in town until I try to hit an atm or get coffee at Polly's, then I go hide at the bar...

Freedom City does that with coconuts, I think they are $3.

Just within the town? Hmmm, the beaches, the bars and restaurants along King Street, the churches up the hill, all of the old danish architecture.

We aren't nearly as dependent on tourism for our economy as most islands so it's not as crazy when a ship docks. There will be tents with vendors on the waterfront and there are a few little shops (Molly's and Franklin's) around Polly's that you can check out. But the town of Frederiksted is pretty sleepy even on ship days. I usually forget there's a ship in town until I try to hit an atm or get coffee at Polly's, then I go hide at the bar...

Freedom City does that with coconuts, I think they are $3.

Thanks for the information!!

Where is Freedom City relative to the port?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello -

We will be visiting in December and we are trying to decide on two beach excursions - Cay Beach Break and The Palms at Pelican Cove Beach Break. We are leaning towards the Cay Beach break as we could walk around Christiansted as well. Any thoughts on either of these beaches? Thanks.

Hi Drake,

I am wondering if you could tell me if there is somewhere that sells Christmas tree ornaments to hang on the tree?

Franklin's right on the waterfront next to Polly's has stuff like that. Can't remember seeing ornaments but if anyone has them they will. Ask for Paula, she'll know.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello -

We will be visiting in December and we are trying to decide on two beach excursions - Cay Beach Break and The Palms at Pelican Cove Beach Break. We are leaning towards the Cay Beach break as we could walk around Christiansted as well. Any thoughts on either of these beaches? Thanks.

Sorry, just noticed I had skipped this one. Definitely do the Cay Beach Break at Hotel on the Cay, snorkeling and swimming at the palms is terrible. Pelican cove has pretty rough water year round compared to the rest of the island.