How can I help make your visit better?

drake2014

We were in St. Croix last Tuesday and spent the day at Rhythms at Rainbow Beach. Very, very laid back, Jimmy Buffet on the turntable, the BEST drinks of our entire 11 day cruise, good food! We're not exactly beach people but it was exactly what I needed. A day on a calm beach, good tunes and good drinks!

This sounds perfect place to hang out after our dive. How long was it to get back to the ship?

Hi Drake. Thanks for this thread. Any thoughts on renting a car in St. Croix. We've done it on other Caribbean islands some with great success others were a challenge. Is that a good way to see the island. Not really interested in spending a day at the beach, but would like to tour the island on our own

Yeah Freedom City is where you want to be. Don't worry about the time, they'll be open by the time your ship docks.

Thanks again for your confirmation of Freedom City Beach Bar...we did grab an umbrella and chairs. Super nice folks working there and the rum punches were decent too.

That said, they were *not* open when we docked...at least I don't think so, since we got in at 2am due to a medical emergency onboard :confused:. By the time we got off the ship around 9am they were certainly open and a handful of spots were already taken. Not too much longer, everything was pretty much booked up so to those thinking they dont open until 11 as indicated on their website, dont believe it.

I liked that you could choose your spot and keep moving around to what suited you. Unfortunately the larger umbrellas (thus more shade coverage) were in the back row and the front row closest to the water with no one parked in front of you were the smaller umbrellas. We found that we had to keep shifting around so we didnt fry too much...very important on a longer cruise in the winter months! :eek:

Nonetheless, next time we're in STX, we'll hit the same spot. Thanks again!

Edited by Kristin1112

Hi Drake. Thanks for this thread. Any thoughts on renting a car in St. Croix. We've done it on other Caribbean islands some with great success others were a challenge. Is that a good way to see the island. Not really interested in spending a day at the beach, but would like to tour the island on our own

I suggest you read this thread from VacationLady. She wrote up her tour here and it's great.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2201059

I think it's a great way to see the island!

Edited by drake2014

Thanks again for your confirmation of Freedom City Beach Bar...we did grab an umbrella and chairs. Super nice folks working there and the rum punches were decent too.

That said, they were *not* open when we docked...at least I don't think so, since we got in at 2am due to a medical emergency onboard :confused:. By the time we got off the ship around 9am they were certainly open and a handful of spots were already taken. Not too much longer, everything was pretty much booked up so to those thinking they dont open until 11 as indicated on their website, dont believe it.

I liked that you could choose your spot and keep moving around to what suited you. Unfortunately the larger umbrellas (thus more shade coverage) were in the back row and the front row closest to the water with no one parked in front of you were the smaller umbrellas. We found that we had to keep shifting around so we didnt fry too much...very important on a longer cruise in the winter months! :eek:

Nonetheless, next time we're in STX, we'll hit the same spot. Thanks again!

I didn't foresee a 2am docking lol, sorry to hear about the emergency but glad you guys enjoyed yourselves.

My husband and I will be there in mid-February and want to do some snorkeling. I had heard that the Buck Island snorkeling is not that great due to past hurricanes. How is the marine garden? Or would another place be a better choice to go snorkeling and seeing many fish? Thanks for you help.

My husband and I will be there in mid-February and want to do some snorkeling. I had heard that the Buck Island snorkeling is not that great due to past hurricanes. How is the marine garden? Or would another place be a better choice to go snorkeling and seeing many fish? Thanks for you help.

I often hear from people on these boards that they didn't have a spectacular time at Buck Island but I have always enjoyed myself there. To each their own I suppose. My only big concern for cruisers wanting to see buck island is the time it takes you to get out there and back really limits you to a half-day sail, and I don't think that's enough time to see everything there is to see.

Generally for cruisers I recommend hanging around the west end of the island so you are closer to the ship. There are plenty of great things to see just off shore from Sandcastle or Rhythms (I followed an Eagle Ray for half an hour at Sandcastle on Sunday). Grab a snorkel and jump in!

Good Afternoon Drake,

We'll be in St Croix on Feb 28, '16 - I think I've read that Sunday's are family day in St Croix, will there be any stores open when we're there? Also, does your buddy Prince do private tours for a small group of 4?

It's nice when you can ask a local for info, thanks for the info you have posted previously.

Good Afternoon Drake,

We'll be in St Croix on Feb 28, '16 - I think I've read that Sunday's are family day in St Croix, will there be any stores open when we're there? Also, does your buddy Prince do private tours for a small group of 4?

It's nice when you can ask a local for info, thanks for the info you have posted previously.

Happy to help! Yes there will be some shops and stores open in Frederiksted, as well as booths and tents along the waterfront full of local jewelery and souvenirs. I'm sure Prince would be happy to unless he already has people booked, your best bet is to give him a call and ask. :)

Good Day Drake,

I just want to thank you very much for all the time you put in to answer these questions and all the great information you have to give. It helps so very much for a first timer.

I do have a few questions for you, I am not sure if I just missed this in all the posts but if one would like to walk to Sandcastle beach about how long would it take the average person to do so from the pier? or How much would a taxi cost to go there? Which beach do you like best for snorkeling, Sandcastle or Freedom City? Also someone mentioned frederiksted pool can you tell me a little bit about this?

thank you Gail

Edited by 1gail1

I'm glad I found your posting, and hopefully you can give me good advise.:)

First, we have never been to St. Croix, and have no clue if it is a small/large island/port?

I like the "natives" like yourself, as I feel they can give me "sometimes" more information, than a regular tour guide.

Do you have a beach, just for the sand only. If so, is it close, or do we need transportation?

Since I don't know what St. Croix is know for, what is a MUST to see/do in St. Croix?

Do you have vendors/natives that make their own items? If so, where do we look for them? Do they have a set price, or bargain at times?

Please feel free to advise me of anything else that we could check out?

Good Day Drake,

I just want to thank you very much for all the time you put in to answer these questions and all the great information you have to give. It helps so very much for a first timer.

I do have a few questions for you, I am not sure if I just missed this in all the posts but if one would like to walk to Sandcastle beach about how long would it take the average person to do so from the pier? or How much would a taxi cost to go there? Which beach do you like best for snorkeling, Sandcastle or Freedom City? Also someone mentioned frederiksted pool can you tell me a little bit about this?

thank you Gail

Thank you very much, it's nice to be appreciated. I would not recommend that walk, it's a narrow road with no sidewalks and a taxi is much safer. If you are insistent I suppose it would take about a half hour to walk there from the pier. A taxi will cost about $5 per person and is much quicker.

These days I'm a Sandcastle fan, Freedom City is going through some personnel changes that don't make me comfortable there. Been seeing some great sealife at Sandcastle lately as well.

The pool is simply our public pool. It has a few basic amenities but no food or drinks. I hesitate to say this and hope I don't offend anyone but we don't really like to see tourists at the pool. It's one of the few "locals only" spots on the island.

Feel free to keep asking anything else I can help with.

I'm glad I found your posting, and hopefully you can give me good advise.:)

First, we have never been to St. Croix, and have no clue if it is a small/large island/port?

I like the "natives" like yourself, as I feel they can give me "sometimes" more information, than a regular tour guide.

Do you have a beach, just for the sand only. If so, is it close, or do we need transportation?

Since I don't know what St. Croix is know for, what is a MUST to see/do in St. Croix?

Do you have vendors/natives that make their own items? If so, where do we look for them? Do they have a set price, or bargain at times?

Please feel free to advise me of anything else that we could check out?

St. Croix is the largest of the Virgin Islands but much much smaller than Puerto Rico. The entire island is roughly 83 square miles, making us larger than most other cruise destinations. The cruise ship pier (I'm presuming you are coming via cruise ship) is located in the smaller of the 2 towns on island, Frederiksted. Frederiksted is a small and sleepy town 90% of the time but we wake up a bit when a boat is here.

We have many beautiful beaches scattered around the island with the best ones mostly here on the west end where the ships dock. I've reviewed them all extensively on other threads so I will simply say I recommend Sandcastle beach to the south of the pier, grab a taxi.

We are known for a few things: Cruzan Rum, beer drinking pigs, hook bracelets, beautiful beaches, amazing diving, and local seafood.

There will be tents of vendors next to the pier when your ship docks, browse through and see what you like. There are also brick and mortar shops all over town. Get a cruzan hook bracelet from Sonya's tent on the waterfront, and some t-shirts from the dive shop on the corner. It's fine to try to bargain but they may not accept it.

Please look through my other posts (about 400 of them now) to learn more about my home, and ask anything else you'd like to know.

Hi Drake,

We are going to be visiting St Croix on a Sunday and would like to attend church while there. How formally do people dress for services? (Don't want to offend by being too casual.)

Thanks!

Pretty normal "sunday best". A nice blazer or a decent dress seems to be the regular look.

Well if we were there on Sunday, I would love to attend the church.

You mentioned about Sandcastle beach for snorkling. We do not snorkle, but would that be the beach to go to for just sand/laying in the sun, or would there be a better one to check out?

Well if we were there on Sunday, I would love to attend the church.

You mentioned about Sandcastle beach for snorkling. We do not snorkle, but would that be the beach to go to for just sand/laying in the sun, or would there be a better one to check out?

Yup it's a great beach to grab a lounge chair and relax.

I have been to Sandcastle twice, the first time was great but a year ago November there were waves and exposed rocks in the water making it difficult to get in and out of the water. We are planning on going there Jan 25 and was wondering how it is now. thank you!

Hello Drake - thanks for your very helpful information.

My husband and I will be renting a car from the cruise pier and seeing the island on our own. We will stop in Christiansted to visit the fort and waterfront/boardwalk, and probably walk around and see what we can see. I can see on the satellite map that there is a parking lot at the fort. Will we be allowed to leave our car there and walk out of the fort along the rest of the boardwalk and have a look around town, or will we need to move our car? If we need to move, can we expect it to be easy to figure out where we are allowed to park and how to pay for it? Sometimes parking rules are unclear, and the last thing we need is to miss our ship because our rental car got towed! :rolleyes:

I was thinking of going clockwise, along Hwy. 63 (stop at Estate Mt. Washington), Scenic Rd., Cane Bay, Salt River Rd., etc. into Christiansted, then out to Pt. Udall. Return Hwy. 60, Hwy. 62, Centerline Rd., more or less. Stop at St. George Village Botanical Garden and/or Cruzan, as time allows. Is there any part of that route you wouldn't recommend for any reason - such as road condition or something like that?

Thanks again!

Hello Drake - thanks for your very helpful information.

My husband and I will be renting a car from the cruise pier and seeing the island on our own. We will stop in Christiansted to visit the fort and waterfront/boardwalk, and probably walk around and see what we can see. I can see on the satellite map that there is a parking lot at the fort. Will we be allowed to leave our car there and walk out of the fort along the rest of the boardwalk and have a look around town, or will we need to move our car? If we need to move, can we expect it to be easy to figure out where we are allowed to park and how to pay for it? Sometimes parking rules are unclear, and the last thing we need is to miss our ship because our rental car got towed! :rolleyes:

I was thinking of going clockwise, along Hwy. 63 (stop at Estate Mt. Washington), Scenic Rd., Cane Bay, Salt River Rd., etc. into Christiansted, then out to Pt. Udall. Return Hwy. 60, Hwy. 62, Centerline Rd., more or less. Stop at St. George Village Botanical Garden and/or Cruzan, as time allows. Is there any part of that route you wouldn't recommend for any reason - such as road condition or something like that?

Thanks again!

Happy to help! Yes you can park at the fort and leave your car but watch the time, I believe all of those spots are 2 hour limits and the rangers will tow you. Parking in downtown Christiansted can be a pain even when there isn't a ship in town. Most street parking in unpaid but timed, and the lots around town usually cost $$. Realistically just park where you can and watch the clock.

I think you are packing a bit much into your day here, that is a heck of a long time to spend driving. The scenic roads are beautiful but winding through the hills at 10mph will take a long time to get anywhere. You may decide to adjust your route on the fly and spend more time on the highway and centerline than you are planning.

Good luck and enjoy your day!

Happy to help! Yes you can park at the fort and leave your car but watch the time, I believe all of those spots are 2 hour limits and the rangers will tow you. Parking in downtown Christiansted can be a pain even when there isn't a ship in town. Most street parking in unpaid but timed, and the lots around town usually cost $$. Realistically just park where you can and watch the clock.

I think you are packing a bit much into your day here, that is a heck of a long time to spend driving. The scenic roads are beautiful but winding through the hills at 10mph will take a long time to get anywhere. You may decide to adjust your route on the fly and spend more time on the highway and centerline than you are planning.

Good luck and enjoy your day!

Thanks Drake; that is one of the things I was wondering about - just how slow we might be going on the scenic roads. We will probably adjust the route, as you suggest.

I have been to Sandcastle twice, the first time was great but a year ago November there were waves and exposed rocks in the water making it difficult to get in and out of the water. We are planning on going there Jan 25 and was wondering how it is now. thank you!

It's probably about how you remember it, I went for an evening swim last night and it was quite rough. The christmas winds this time of year tend to whip up the waves a bit. You never know though, it may be calm when you arrive.

As far as the rocks go I often hear from people that they don't like the big rocks in front of Sandcastle, but I love them. They draw sealife right up to the shoreline because they can hide amongst the rocks.

If you need a bit smoother entry try going just a bit north (back toward the ship) from Sandcastle to the public beach next door. There are wider sandy patches between the rocks there.