How can I help make your visit better?

drake2014

Drake,

We will be on the Jewel of the Seas cruise ship the day of the upcoming big parade, Jan.2.

We sea that you've said the parade should be on the 2nd street from the dock. That's very convenient for us. But what time should the parade pass thru that area? Hear good things about your parade and want to be there on time and take lots pf pictures.

One more thing, is that also the day that the beer drinking pigs get the day off?

Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

It's scheduled for 10am but we don't put much stock in clocks down here. It could come downtown anytime between 9:30am and 11am. You'll hear it coming, trust me.

Generally Norma is heavily involved in the festivities so the domino club is closed, but she has some decent staff up there now so they might be open. The best advice is to ask a cab driver when you get here.

So now we are thinking beach with activities... We have stubbled upon Freedom City for some paddle boarding... However there's no information for pricing, etc... Is this a place you'd recommend? Is the beach good and does it have a bar, grill, etc... Thanks

Hi Drake, just want to say thanks for this thread! Last week we stopped at St Croix and went to Sandcastle Beach. The staff were great, the island beautiful and most of all the beach was fantastic and gorgeous. Hope to plan a trip to stay on your island to really explore.

Thanks, Kathy

Drake,

We have been looking quite a bit into excursions. We are coming in February. At first we thought about going to Buck Island but we are docking in Fredericksted.... So now we are thinking beach with activities... We have stubbled upon Freedom City for some paddle boarding... However there's no information for pricing, etc... Is this a place you'd recommend? Is the beach good and does it have a bar, grill, etc... Thanks

I've talked about it a few times in the past but happy to do it again.

The lesson/rental on the paddle board is around $30 (if you need exact pricing I'll swing by later and take a look) and that get's you an hour out on the board. After an hour if no one is waiting for your board they will usually let you keep going at no charge.

The food is pretty good but they just hired a whole new staff so they are kinda trying to find themselves, sometimes it takes a while to get food out and the tacos aren't as amazing as they used to be.

It has a full bar and they make most drinks pretty darn well, I usually stick with beers there but the margaritas aren't bad either.

To summarize: it's a pretty good place to spend an active day at the beach.

I hope you enjoy it!

Hi again Drake...

I just wanted to stop back in and recount our experience(s) at our recent stop @ St. Croix last Tuesday.

Being a day w/ a cruise ship in port, Sandy Point was open to visitors. We took a taxi to Fredriksted Pool and hiked all of the way down the beach from there. It was a fairly long walk, but worth it. The unspoiled beach made for a gorgeous stroll along the water. There were also a few other people (that had travelled from the other side of the point by vehicle) at the end, enjoying the sun, sand and water.

Even though I was previously told that they are closed on Tuesdays, we were also fortunate in that the Bar/Restaurant at Sandcastle on the Beach was open for Lunch -- As we were hungry and thirsty after our (RT) trek. We were told that the restaurant would be open on cruise ship days until 2:30p for lunch, with the bar staying open for about an hour later.

We spent the rest of the afternoon at SCOTB, and a little bit of time walking around in F'sted before heading back to the ship.

Thanks again for your help.

Is there anything that you suggest that is a Must See while visiting?

We will be there on a cruise in February 2016. I think most of our group will lean towards the Captain Morgan or Cruzan Rum Tour. But I would like to see if there is something that is a must see that a part of the group might be more interested in.

Is there anything that you suggest that is a Must See while visiting?

We will be there on a cruise in February 2016. I think most of our group will lean towards the Captain Morgan or Cruzan Rum Tour. But I would like to see if there is something that is a must see that a part of the group might be more interested in.

Well if you're thinking about those two places I strongly urge you to skip Captain Morgan, that place is an embarrassment. Must-see things here are: go scuba diving if you are so inclined, snorkel the west end, check out the Domino Club and see the beer drinking pig, relax on a beautiful beach.

OK. There's a lagoon that's near Sandcastle and it's a bird sanctuary. Let me see if I can find the name and a Google map. I took photos on one of my trips, but they aren't good ones.

There are also quite a few birds that hang out near the cruise dock. I have good photos of blue heron and others that I don't remember names of. The VI is a popular stop for migrating birds so species vary by season though some are year round.

More later...

We were in St. Croix last Tuesday and spent the day at Rhythms at Rainbow Beach. Very, very laid back, Jimmy Buffet on the turntable, the BEST drinks of our entire 11 day cruise, good food! We're not exactly beach people but it was exactly what I needed. A day on a calm beach, good tunes and good drinks!

Merry Christmas We will be on/off jewel on jan16,last year in Dec there was a fair being set up rides and such will that be there and open this year when we r there.

Also what and where r these beer drinking pigs from port

Thanks

Joe

Hi Drake,

Good afternoon (see I'm learning!). Thanks so much for this thread. It's been very helpful for me, since this will be our first time to St. Croix.

Trying to figure out what to do with our day in February. I always need to do much research because I cannot walk long distances, and uneven ground can do me in within minutes. This will be our first port, so I need to spend my energy wisely.

After reading this thread, there are a couple of things that pique my interest. Some places mentioned are Sandcastle Beach, Rhythms at Rainbow Beach and Freedom City Beach Bar. I'm thinking it's a taxi to the first and/or second or walk to the latter, but how far of a walk is it? Fifteen-twenty minutes for an able bodied soul is one thing, but for me it might be too much, so I wanted to check with you. We like the idea of a calmer, laid back atmosphere to chill out.

With that said, what we usually do when we come to a new port is a land tour. I haven't seen anything on this thread about that. Is this something that would be an interesting trip? Would the guide be taking us to out of the way places? We are very interested in the people and the culture (as opposed to history). Good food, a couple of drinks and meeting people are what interests us the most. Throw in a little authentic shopping and I'm in heaven.

Have I told you enough for you to make any suggestions for us? Thanks in advance.

Edited by KAWS

We will be on Carnival Glory in Feb. I have never been to ST Croix before. Hubby likes forts so is Fort Frederick a SHORT walking distance from the cruise ship dock? I am not good at long distance walking. And is taking a cab to Point Urdall possible? If so how long a drive/ approximately how much $. If we are taking a cab there, is there any where else we should see along the way? Thanks in advance!

Drake - I've been studying several of the St. Croix postings and read that you mentioned paddle boarding at Freedom City Beach. My question is whether there is somewhere else on the island - either a public beach where someone rents paddle boards or at a resort - that might have a cove/protected area for trying paddle boarding? Freedom City is great sounding since it's close to the ship, but, I don't mind getting a cab if there's somewhere else you can think of that might be an easier place (smoother water) to paddle board at.

Thanks in advance for a response and all of your many posts here!

Merry Christmas We will be on/off jewel on jan16,last year in Dec there was a fair being set up rides and such will that be there and open this year when we r there.

Also what and where r these beer drinking pigs from port

Thanks

Joe

Carnival officially ends Sunday January 3rd, but it usually stretches to Three Kings Day (January 6th). It will be all wrapped up well before you get here I'm afraid.

The beer drinking pigs are up at the Montpellier Domino Club in the rainforest, also called Norma's Place. Ask a taxi driver to get you there, it's up on Mahogany Road. About 4 miles from the port.

Hi Drake,

Good afternoon (see I'm learning!). Thanks so much for this thread. It's been very helpful for me, since this will be our first time to St. Croix.

Trying to figure out what to do with our day in February. I always need to do much research because I cannot walk long distances, and uneven ground can do me in within minutes. This will be our first port, so I need to spend my energy wisely.

After reading this thread, there are a couple of things that pique my interest. Some places mentioned are Sandcastle Beach, Rhythms at Rainbow Beach and Freedom City Beach Bar. I'm thinking it's a taxi to the first and/or second or walk to the latter, but how far of a walk is it? Fifteen-twenty minutes for an able bodied soul is one thing, but for me it might be too much, so I wanted to check with you. We like the idea of a calmer, laid back atmosphere to chill out.

With that said, what we usually do when we come to a new port is a land tour. I haven't seen anything on this thread about that. Is this something that would be an interesting trip? Would the guide be taking us to out of the way places? We are very interested in the people and the culture (as opposed to history). Good food, a couple of drinks and meeting people are what interests us the most. Throw in a little authentic shopping and I'm in heaven.

Have I told you enough for you to make any suggestions for us? Thanks in advance.

Good morning! Glad to see someone getting it.

Sandcastle and Rhythms are definitely a taxi ride away, even if you're in good shape. Freedom City is roughly 1/2 a mile from the pier, about a 5 minute walk for most people. However you'll either be walking along the road which gets narrow and a little rough in places or you'll be walking on the beach which might be a problem for you. It's up to you on whether you need a taxi or not for that hop but maybe it's a good idea.

If you are looking for a tour my personal recommendation is Prince with Heritage Safari Tours (340-642-3811) as he's the only one I've ridden with myself. He's very flexible and will show you the wonderful culture of our island.

Let me know if you need any more ideas!

We will be on Carnival Glory in Feb. I have never been to ST Croix before. Hubby likes forts so is Fort Frederick a SHORT walking distance from the cruise ship dock? I am not good at long distance walking. And is taking a cab to Point Urdall possible? If so how long a drive/ approximately how much $. If we are taking a cab there, is there any where else we should see along the way? Thanks in advance!

Absolutely, Fort Frederick is less than 500 feet from where the ship unloads you. You'll walk across a beautiful park to get there as well, it's quite scenic.

I've never seen a cab run all the way to Point Udall but I imagine if they did it would be pretty expensive. It's about 26 miles from the pier and takes at least an hour to get there one way. I know a taxi to Divi (the closest major stop to Point Udall) costs $36 one way, and that's 4 miles short so I bet to get all the way to the point would be $45+

Maybe you would rather just take a cab into Christiansted for shopping and dining? Or perhaps just stay at the west end and enjoy what we have to offer.

Drake - I've been studying several of the St. Croix postings and read that you mentioned paddle boarding at Freedom City Beach. My question is whether there is somewhere else on the island - either a public beach where someone rents paddle boards or at a resort - that might have a cove/protected area for trying paddle boarding? Freedom City is great sounding since it's close to the ship, but, I don't mind getting a cab if there's somewhere else you can think of that might be an easier place (smoother water) to paddle board at.

Thanks in advance for a response and all of your many posts here!

The only other place I know of is The Buccaneer Hotel out east, located on Beauregard Bay. I've been told they offer stand up paddle now but I've never been there myself. I will say that if their paddleboarding is like the rest of their amenities it will be incredibly expensive.

I personally like the water at Freedom City and have never really had a problem with it being rough. The other big advantage there is that the teachers at Freedom City are all competitive paddleboarders, some with national titles. You'll never find better instruction!

We were in St. Croix last Tuesday and spent the day at Rhythms at Rainbow Beach. Very, very laid back, Jimmy Buffet on the turntable, the BEST drinks of our entire 11 day cruise, good food! We're not exactly beach people but it was exactly what I needed. A day on a calm beach, good tunes and good drinks!

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Thank You, I'm in that industry and would of like to seen it open,They where just dropping equipment last year.Looked like older stuff but in good shape hope the people enjoyed it. And thanks we will take a ride to see the pigs.Weve been to st Croix 3/4 times can never seem to get past that little tiki hut by the public bathrooms to the left of the pier when walking off.I think the owner said he was from Brooklyn LOL