How can I help make your visit better?

drake2014

Thanks Drake; that is one of the things I was wondering about - just how slow we might be going on the scenic roads. We will probably adjust the route, as you suggest.

Don't try to overplan it, just enjoy the journey. That's life in the left lane.

Thank you Drake for your wealth of information. I don't know if you get paid for this, but you SHOULD.:)

In regard to Sandcastle Beach that you recommended. You said it would cost about $5.00pp to go there. Will there be Taxi or anyone like that to bring us back or how do we get back? Also is there a restroom at this beach, or facilities close by to use a restroom or for food?

If we didn't want to take a Taxi, are there "natives" that would take us on a tour, and show us around St. Croix? If so, do you have any idea what the charge would be for an hour or two for two people?

I wish I had time to read all your answers to the questions, but I don't, so that is why I am asking you now.:)

Thank you Drake for your wealth of information. I don't know if you get paid for this, but you SHOULD.:)

In regard to Sandcastle Beach that you recommended. You said it would cost about $5.00pp to go there. Will there be Taxi or anyone like that to bring us back or how do we get back? Also is there a restroom at this beach, or facilities close by to use a restroom or for food?

If we didn't want to take a Taxi, are there "natives" that would take us on a tour, and show us around St. Croix? If so, do you have any idea what the charge would be for an hour or two for two people?

I wish I had time to read all your answers to the questions, but I don't, so that is why I am asking you now.:)

No I do not get paid, our tourism department is a joke.

Yes there are taxis running back and forth to Sandcastle all day. If there isn't one there when you are ready to leave ask the front desk to call you one.

It's a hotel and restaurant, plenty of facilities.

Call my friend Prince (340-642-3811), he is a local taxi driver and guide. You will have to ask him his prices.

An answer may have already been posted, but I'm a little confused right now.:(

We are coming to St. Croix, the first part of April. You or someone mentioned Frederiksted. Is that a town or what? When we come from the pier, do we walk to it, or get a Taxi, or tour guide or what? What is there to see?

I was hoping Sandcastle was going to be open, but it sounds like it is closed for turtle season in April? What is another beach close by the pier that we could check out just for laying out in the sun, not snorkling, etc.?

An answer may have already been posted, but I'm a little confused right now.:(

We are coming to St. Croix, the first part of April. You or someone mentioned Frederiksted. Is that a town or what? When we come from the pier, do we walk to it, or get a Taxi, or tour guide or what? What is there to see?

I was hoping Sandcastle was going to be open, but it sounds like it is closed for turtle season in April? What is another beach close by the pier that we could check out just for laying out in the sun, not snorkling, etc.?

Ok let's start from the top. Your ship is coming to St Croix, there are two main towns here. The boat docks in Frederiksted, the town on the west end of St Croix. Most of the major shopping and dining is found in Christiansted, the major city on the eastern end of the island. I do not have the time to list every single possible thing there is to do in my town, I welcome you once again to please look through the various threads on this forum where I have discussed my home at length. The cruise ship pier is basically in the middle of town, you can go in any direction from that Pier and find something to do.

Sandcastle is a hotel on a beach to the south of the pier.. On cruise ship days they open up their beach for your use. They also have many wonderful amenities that I have discussed with you before. I have selected Sandcastle for you, because I feel it is the best fit for what you are looking to do.

The beach that you are thinking of that will be closed is Sandy Point, which is a wildlife refuge at the far south southwestern tip of St Croix. There are no amenities there, and it is a bit of a hike from the parking lot to the water. Not the ideal place for what you are looking to do.

Okay, I have looked back thru the posts but I could have overlooked it. We are going to Sandlcaslte per your recommendation, that being said... Do we just show up?? or do we have to get a day pass?? Is it the Beach hotel or just the Beach??

Thanks,

Okay, I have looked back thru the posts but I could have overlooked it. We are going to Sandlcaslte per your recommendation, that being said... Do we just show up?? or do we have to get a day pass?? Is it the Beach hotel or just the Beach??

Thanks,

Sandcastle is a hotel on a beach. Yes you just show up, talk to the lady at the front desk and she will take care of you.

All beaches on st. Croix are public beaches. The reason that you pay to use it at a hotel or resort is for the amenities. There is nothing to stop you from just walking on to the beach and enjoying the sea and the sand.

Thank you Drake, can you give me more info on the public beach? What is it called so I can tell taxi driver, do they have bathroom facility, food and drink, do they rent chairs and umbrellas. Does it get very crowded? Any other beaches you would recommend, we are stopping twice there on our back to back cruise.

Thank you Drake, can you give me more info on the public beach? What is it called so I can tell taxi driver, do they have bathroom facility, food and drink, do they rent chairs and umbrellas. Does it get very crowded? Any other beaches you would recommend, we are stopping twice there on our back to back cruise.

You'll still want to go to Sandcastle, I'm just suggesting that when you step off the patio you head to the right about 10 yards and get into the water there.

There are no amenities on the public beach, you'll need to use the facilities at Sandcastle.

Dorsch Beach (the public beach that we are talking about) gets packed on Sundays with locals. You'll get to see how we hit the beach! Be ready for lots of music and bbq's. Again though I am not suggesting you camp out there, just that it's a bit smoother there than directly in front of Sandcastle.

There are 3 major beaches on the west end, and dozens more across the island. What kind of vibe are you looking for and how far do you want to travel? If you want to really get away from the crowds you'll end up in a taxi headed to the north shore, but the waves and rocks are rougher up there. It's always a trade off.

We were at sand castle twice, first time water had no rocks so there was no trouble getting in and out of water, there were some waves but not bad. We will be on the island during the week. We are Looking for something like Sand Castle, nice beach and easy swimming, restaurant, bathrooms and not too far.We are open to paying for an all inclusive day pass also. We loved Sand Castle but November 2014 we couldn't t even get in the water it was rough and so many exposed rocks to get over.

OK Drake, thank you, so Sandcastle it is.:)

Can you give me an idea of how much the Taxi cost pp it is to Sandcastle?

So we can use the hotel restrooms, and get food there too, is that right?

If we didn't get the hotel to call us a Taxi, are there normally Taxi's waiting around that area for people?

We were at sand castle twice, first time water had no rocks so there was no trouble getting in and out of water, there were some waves but not bad. We will be on the island during the week. We are Looking for something like Sand Castle, nice beach and easy swimming, restaurant, bathrooms and not too far.We are open to paying for an all inclusive day pass also. We loved Sand Castle but November 2014 we couldn't t even get in the water it was rough and so many exposed rocks to get over.

Hmmm I think Sandcastle is probably still the best fit for you, providing you head a little bit to the right off the patio. Everything up on the north shore is so rough these days it's unbelievable.

If you do get to Sandcastle and it's too rough my next thought would be Rhythms at rainbow beach, it tends to be pretty smooth in front of the stage but it's kind of a toss-up.

That's all I've got for you at the moment but I'll hit the beaches this weekend and try to be more helpful.

OK Drake, thank you, so Sandcastle it is.:)

Can you give me an idea of how much the Taxi cost pp it is to Sandcastle?

So we can use the hotel restrooms, and get food there too, is that right?

If we didn't get the hotel to call us a Taxi, are there normally Taxi's waiting around that area for people?

About $5 per person, one-way.

Yes, there are restrooms up on the patio and a full restaurant/bar at your disposal.

There are usually taxis running back and forth around the time you're supposed to be back on the boat.

Drake2014, Good evening. Thank you for all the great information. My wife came up with a few other beaches that we wondered if you had opinions about. They are Cane Bay and The Palms at Pelican Cove. Cane Bay we would do with a taxi but Pelican Cove is one of the ship excursions. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Drake2014, Good evening. Thank you for all the great information. My wife came up with a few other beaches that we wondered if you had opinions about. They are Cane Bay and The Palms at Pelican Cove. Cane Bay we would do with a taxi but Pelican Cove is one of the ship excursions. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Cane Bay is beautiful and of course the wall is spectacular if you're a diver. Pretty decent food around there too. If you don't mind the taxi ride it's well worth checking out.

The Palms is a lovely hotel with great amenities but I've never had fun in pelican cove myself. The water is always a bit rough and cloudy right there and I don't care for it.

Hello Drake, I've enjoyed reading your tips on visiting your beautiful island. My wife and I will be arriving on RCI Adventure of the Seas on 7 March and we are looking for a good place to watch birds. I'm not sure which dock we will be disembarking from but very curious to hear you recommendation. Thx!!

Hello Drake, I've enjoyed reading your tips on visiting your beautiful island. My wife and I will be arriving on RCI Adventure of the Seas on 7 March and we are looking for a good place to watch birds. I'm not sure which dock we will be disembarking from but very curious to hear you recommendation. Thx!!

There's only one dock my friend, you'll be disembarking in Frederiksted.

The best bird watching is around the Salt Pond at Sandy Point. Provided they are open when you come in (they should be) you should be able to grab a taxi to Sandy Point and ask the Park Rangers where to look for birds. They are really nice guys out there!

There's only one dock my friend, you'll be disembarking in Frederiksted.

The best bird watching is around the Salt Pond at Sandy Point. Provided they are open when you come in (they should be) you should be able to grab a taxi to Sandy Point and ask the Park Rangers where to look for birds. They are really nice guys out there!

Thank you for your prompt reply. Any idea how much a taxi would be for two people each way? Do we ask the driver to wait or will we be able to catch another taxi when we are ready to return?

Thank you for your prompt reply. Any idea how much a taxi would be for two people each way? Do we ask the driver to wait or will we be able to catch another taxi when we are ready to return?

Should be pretty cheap, around $10 for the couple. Don't ask them to wait but ask them to come back for you at a certain time. Odds are there won't be many taxis making that loop when you are ready to leave.