Where should we have Christmas dinner?

Kmkub

Hi everyone! We're doing our first ever Christmas cruise with the kids and the grandparents. (My in-laws.)

It's also our first cruise on Norwegian (Getaway.) We've only been on Princess so far.

The adults have the dining package but the kids do not.

Any suggestions on the place to be Christmas dinner? If we have to pay to up charge the kids, it's not a deal breaker.

I don't have a strong feeling about traditional dinner versus non traditional - we just want to have the nicest experience. It's the first time the kids & the grandparents will be having Christmas day together - long overdue.

Thanks!

Hi everyone! We're doing our first ever Christmas cruise with the kids and the grandparents. (My in-laws.)

It's also our first cruise on Norwegian (Getaway.) We've only been on Princess so far.

Any suggestions on the place to be Christmas dinner? If we have to pay to up charge the kids, it's not a deal breaker.

I don't have a strong feeling about traditional dinner versus non traditional - we just want to have the nicest experience. It's the first time the kids & the grandparents will be having Christmas day together - long overdue.

Thanks!

The MDRs all have a very special menu for Christmas. We enjoyed it quite a bit. It is not the regular menu at all. Everything was festive. It is a more traditional meal but there were several choices. I don't think the available every day menu was even available. The upcharge restaurants have their regular menus. Of course, I have not been on the Getaway for Christmas, but I imagine the menus would be similar.

Edited by drvalo

I find cruise Christmas dinners to be nothing close to what I would get at home. I don't want dry as a bone turkey and bread crumb stuffing with no cranberry sauce to be found.

If I were you, I would choose Le Bistro at an early hour and feast there. You won't get a bad a meal. Sure, it is possible that the MDR will be fine, but I wouldn't bet Christmas on it.

Thanks!

I'd say the MDR (main dining room), for the ambiance, menu, and decorations.

I'm sorry that I don't have a specific recommendation, but I do wonder if you can get a reservation this close to Christmas? Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer, I could just imagine booking being tough. Unless you mean next year?

The OP is already booked on the cruise. They are asking where to eat on their cruise.

Yes, and I assumed they meant specialty restaurants, which may already be booked up (online) for Christmas dinner. I could be wrong on both counts.

Yes, I agree, the specialties may very well be booked up pre cruise for Christmas Day, but you might be able to get a reservation of you check immediately after you board.

But I'm not sure I'd want to be in a specialty on Christmas. Doesn't seem very Christmas like. I think I'd prefer the elegance and festive atmosphere of the aft MDR. Since they always have live entertainment there, for Christmas I would assume it would be holiday related.

Why not do a specialty dinner on Christmas Eve instead?

We are on the Epic. Booked Cagneys for Xmas Eve, MDR on Xmas day at 5:30 and Cirque show at 9:30.. Booked too late to get a better time for Xmas Dinner

Isn't cirque show a meal and show? Are you hoping for two Christmas dinners or hedging your bets the first will not be very good?

Since you are doing Cirque it won't apply to you, but for others....

When we sailed over Thanksgiving we enjoyed our early "dinner" in the MDR but I was missing the turkey sandwich I usually have (with dressing and cranberry sauce of course) so I was pleased to discover that the Garden Café was carving whole turkey for dinner. I made a sandwich and quickly took it back to the mini fridge.

If you are like me and enjoy leftovers, hopefully they will do something similar on your cruise!

We are on the Epic. Booked Cagneys for Xmas Eve, MDR on Xmas day at 5:30 and Cirque show at 9:30.. Booked too late to get a better time for Xmas Dinner

We will be there with you we booked the early cirque show - figure if food is terrible we can drop in on one of the other places to eat after the show