Taxes on Drink Packaged purchased onboard before sail away?

I read on another thread that if you purchase a drink package on the ship but before it sails, you will be charged sales tax. Is this accurate? We are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on the Oasis next Saturday. I have purchased OBC to pay for our packages and planned on getting them as soon as we board. I am not talking about the 18% gratuity but actual FL state sales tax.

Thanks in advance!

Jess

I remember seeing that post. The person said they were charge 20% taxes. I think that they just confused that with 18% gratuity that is automatically added. There have been no other reports of taxes on drink packages. Individual drinks yes packages no.

Florida sales tax rate is only around 6.5%

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Thanks. If that was the same thread I read about the Allure, they said $20 in tax per package, not 20%. If they bought the select package, 6.5% would be just over $19.

I didn't notice if I got charged tax the last time I purchased immediately upon boarding in FL.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

Thanks. If that was the same thread I read about the Allure, they said $20 in tax per package, not 20%. If they bought the select package, 6.5% would be just over $19.

I didn't notice if I got charged tax the last time I purchased immediately upon boarding in FL.

Thanks. If it was $ then that would make sense, somehow I thought it was %.

Do you board early enough that you get the full value of the package the first date? You could always wait until day 2 to purchase it at the prorated amount.

We should be onboard just after 12 (barring any boarding delays) so we do. It I have to pay another $20-25, it is what it is, but I hair wanted to see if I could find out ahead of time. :)

yes, you will most likely be charged local tax. Buy it now to avoid or wait until the stores open after leaving port

We should be onboard just after 12 (barring any boarding delays) so we do. It I have to pay another $20-25, it is what it is, but I hair wanted to see if I could find out ahead of time. :)

You do not pay sales tax on any package. Sales tax is only charged on individual drinks purchased while still in port.

So, we shall share some long time experience. Do not fret about such things as sales tax. The cruise line/staff wants to sell packages and upgrades and they really push the packages at embarkation and on that first day. So, if you want to purchase either a package or upgrade a drink package just ask the staffer or bar tender, "do I have to pay local tax on this package?" And the likely answer will be something like, "no, I will take care of it" or "do not be concerned." Many times they will write up the package/upgrade on a paper receipt and not enter it into the ship's computer to hours outside of the port. Other times, the computer just does not charge tax on packages (but they do charge on individual drinks).

Hank

So, we shall share some long time experience. Do not fret about such things as sales tax. The cruise line/staff wants to sell packages and upgrades and they really push the packages at embarkation and on that first day. So, if you want to purchase either a package or upgrade a drink package just ask the staffer or bar tender, "do I have to pay local tax on this package?" And the likely answer will be something like, "no, I will take care of it" or "do not be concerned." Many times they will write up the package/upgrade on a paper receipt and not enter it into the ship's computer to hours outside of the port. Other times, the computer just does not charge tax on packages (but they do charge on individual drinks).

Hank

this is exactly my experience! OP I would not be concerned about tax. Enjoy your cruise :)

You do not pay sales tax on any package. Sales tax is only charged on individual drinks purchased while still in port.

I am the one who made the original post on another thread. I went to guest services and that was what they explained. I have been on cruises before where they did "hand-write" the ticket but never noticed if they held it and rang it up after we were at sea so that there was no tax charged. I suppose I could have asked however when I saw that the charge was $419 instead of $399 (like I expected), I did ask the bartender and he said he did not know why there was tax. He told me to go talk to the folks in the outside area that were selling the packages but they didn't know either. It wasn't until I got to Guest Services that they told me that you pay tax when in port.

Maybe you can wait until you sail and get into international waters but that could be about 6:00 or 7:00 pm at night - if you get on the boat at noon, that seems like a long time to wait.......

Barbara

I am the one who made the original post on another thread. I went to guest services and that was what they explained. I have been on cruises before where they did "hand-write" the ticket but never noticed if they held it and rang it up after we were at sea so that there was no tax charged. I suppose I could have asked however when I saw that the charge was $419 instead of $399 (like I expected), I did ask the bartender and he said he did not know why there was tax. He told me to go talk to the folks in the outside area that were selling the packages but they didn't know either. It wasn't until I got to Guest Services that they told me that you pay tax when in port.

Maybe you can wait until you sail and get into international waters but that could be about 6:00 or 7:00 pm at night - if you get on the boat at noon, that seems like a long time to wait.......

Barbara

Yes, they charge tax on Individual drinks purchased while in port. Tax is not charged on drink packages. Someone screwed up and charged the tax when they shouldn't have.

I followed the advice of another cruise critic poster and called Guest Services since returning from my cruise and they agreed that we should NOT have been changed tax on the drink package just because we bought it in port - so the person on the other end of the phone actually gave me a credit for the $20 x 2 for the drink packages my husband and I ordered. Good to know!

I hope this helps others.

Barbara

I followed the advice of another cruise critic poster and called Guest Services since returning from my cruise and they agreed that we should NOT have been changed tax on the drink package just because we bought it in port - so the person on the other end of the phone actually gave me a credit for the $20 x 2 for the drink packages my husband and I ordered. Good to know!

Barbara

Thank-you for the update. It's good to know that the policy has not changed.:)

Barbara

The cruise critic community is a very small minority of actual cruisers. It makes you wonder how many times they do this and nothing is said.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I also purchased OBC... we want to buy our drink packages once we board the Oasis in February... Do we go to any bar, or are there displays set up that allow you to purchase them? Any advice?

You will likely be approached by more than one crewmember selling packages, maybe even before you get on the ship. Just walk along the Royal Promenade.