"Moving" via cruise ship from US to Mexico and back...can we do it???

SakeDad

We are currently living in both the US and Puerto Vallarta. We are on a tourist visa in PV and must go back to the US before 6 months. We are thinking about cruising out of LA to PV and taking things to our condo there that we don't want to fly (too bulky, too heavy, etc...things for condo...nothing illegal) and think taking it on the cruise then taking it off-ship in PV would solve a lot of problems. Also, we would then take some items from the condo we want back in the US on the ship.

Kind of like walking off the ship with a suitcase and coming back on with the suitcase (and let's face it, many people but more souvenirs than that in port!!)

My question is does anyone know FOR CERTAIN (please don't just guess and give an opinion you THINK is correct!!! :p ) as to why this wouldn't work.

I worked on ships several years ago and know for a FACT it would have been possible then, just want to make sure it would still be possible now.

Thanks in advance for all INFORMED answers. :)

I have done it. I live in Cabo part time and went on a girlfriend cruise and thought it was the perfect time to move stuff in a suitcase to my condo. I live on the marina. I never asked permission or inquired before hand. Cabo being a tender port, I walked down with my suitcase and was sent back to guest services because they needed to see my import papers. I went to guest services and they called the dock agent and explained the situation to him. He told them to let me come to the pier. He was waiting for me, and opened my suitcase to examine every item in it. Mostly, it was kitchen stuff, extras that I was relocating, office stuff like sticky notes, etc. I told him it was all used stuff. He kept asking how much it cost so I told him it was less then $100.00 and oh by the way, I own a condo and used Mexican labor to rebuild it and bought all my materials in Mexico. He zipped up my suitcase and sent me on my way.

I can't tell you about taking items from your condo back to the ship. My suitcase was empty.

At that time, I was also on a tourist visa. Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other questions you may have. Since you are not at a tender port, you may have less of a hassle.

You can contact me at wmiller9999 at yahoo dot com if you would like further information.

I have done it. I live in Cabo part time and went on a girlfriend cruise and thought it was the perfect time to move stuff in a suitcase to my condo. I live on the marina. I never asked permission or inquired before hand. Cabo being a tender port, I walked down with my suitcase and was sent back to guest services because they needed to see my import papers. I went to guest services and they called the dock agent and explained the situation to him. He told them to let me come to the pier. He was waiting for me, and opened my suitcase to examine every item in it. Mostly, it was kitchen stuff, extras that I was relocating, office stuff like sticky notes, etc. I told him it was all used stuff. He kept asking how much it cost so I told him it was less then $100.00 and oh by the way, I own a condo and used Mexican labor to rebuild it and bought all my materials in Mexico. He zipped up my suitcase and sent me on my way.

I can't tell you about taking items from your condo back to the ship. My suitcase was empty.

At that time, I was also on a tourist visa. Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other questions you may have. Since you are not at a tender port, you may have less of a hassle.

You can contact me at wmiller9999 at yahoo dot com if you would like further information.

Thanks! That does help. I don't think it will be a problem as in LA I curb check the bags so as long as there is no booze shouldn't be any problem, no customs in PV when I walk off the ship with suitcase, and when I go back through security I will just say I bought a lot of souvenirs. Then in LA it is all the stuff I took on the ship. :-)

Thanks! I don't think it will be a problem as in LA I curb check the bags so as long as there is no booze shouldn't be any problem, no customs in PV when I walk off the ship with suitcase, and when I go back through security I will just say I bought a lot of souvenirs. Then in LA it is all the stuff I took on the ship. :-)

more than likely... no problema... think'n if we wanted to do it... lots of bags... check a few, walk on with more... no problema...

The problem I encountered was from ship security when I tried to depart with a suitcase. They were the ones that told me the bag had to clear customs with Mexico. My recommendation is to not use a suitcase, use tote bags, backpacks etc, and get a bunch of friends to be your "mules".

The suitcase full of stuff won't be a problem checking in at LA. I even put a note in the suitcase explaining that I was taking stuff to my condo in Cabo. It's not often that a cruise ship passenger has a suitcase full of household goods.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem I encountered was from ship security when I tried to depart with a suitcase. They were the ones that told me the bag had to clear customs with Mexico. My recommendation is to not use a suitcase, use tote bags, backpacks etc, and get a bunch of friends to be your "mules".

The suitcase full of stuff won't be a problem checking in at LA. I even put a note in the suitcase explaining that I was taking stuff to my condo in Cabo. It's not often that a cruise ship passenger has a suitcase full of household goods.

GOOD SUGGESTION! Gracias

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have done this several times.

I live in Costa Rica' date=' so a Panama Canal cruise from L.A. allows me to stock up on what I need and I carry it off the ship in Puntarenas. One of my employees takes it to my home, about 45 minutes away. :D[/quote']

GRACIAS! Do you take whole suitcases off or smaller bags that don't really draw attention? I am hoping to bring my kitchen cookware and some kitchen appliances I can't get in PV. But they are also NOT new so I don't want to have to pay Customs to bring them in.