Splendor drydock

lisajm

Has my Carnival Craze ended?

There's no way around it - I went from super excited to kinda bummed. For weeks as each ship came and went out of drydock this year with details from Carnival, news articles up the wazoo promoting the new features, pictures & promotions, etc., I had such high hopes for Splendor. If it was going to be an option between it and the other China-bound ship, then have some variety, right? Okay. I can take that, but the silence, the disregard for all of its fans - had driven a lot of us nuts trolling for the smallest new details.

So many people LOVE this ship, the itinerary, the crew, the cleanliness (that's big for me too). As much as they spent on the Magic, I prayed that Carnival would listen and use the drydock to really polish up its special jewel in the crown. The ship is not that old, but they workhorse it with a cruise b2b every single week and shifting ports like crazy. What would have been wrong with new seating in the major common areas and the room sofas, changing the venues' sign lighting to LED, using the miracle of graphics to tone down and modernize all those loopy pink circles and Miami Vice color schemes... not un-Farcus but modern refresh. BTW - are those flowers hanging from the lido pool real? IJS

If all of this 2.0 rebranding was so important, then why not change over the common stuff (bars, cantinas, burritos, pizza)? What's the point in having versions of the same service & offerings but call it something else? Some think different, but you're side eyed with a dinosaur.

So that leaves me with optimistic for the old faves: lobster, Tandoor, melting cake and the unique Western Caribbean ports (Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel). If there's a way to help me get back my traveler's mojo... what are those special somethings the Splendor has that the other Carnival ships possibly don't? :confused:

Global, beauty will be in the eye of the beholder. I've read many comments on the pink ship - lots of them think it is gaudy, many have said how beautiful it is. So it will be subjective - totally up to you. BUT the fun of cruising on different ships is to experience the various atmospheres and venues.

Some we will like better than others - but I always enjoy every single day I'm cruising and not at my desk at work!

We all knew there would be no 2.0 since January. I would have enjoyed Guy's and Blue Iguana - but I have never experienced Tandoor, so I am looking forward to that!

There will be other cruises with other decors and venues to experience in the future....and I can hardly wait!!

We are on day 5 of the cruise now so figured I'd get the Internet and give an update. No American Table, we have the old menus with the didja items. Food is pretty good overall, best food is the Tandoor station. We have only had one production show in the 5 days, the 80s one, seems like playlist production (4 guys, 4 girls, both sing and dance). Otherwise it has just been the "welcome show" which was more like a shopping commercial, a hypnotist, a magician, and the love & marriage show for main entertainment. Crew does try hard though. We were only given option to do either morning or evening cabin service, we're not allowed to have both. Crew are friendly and helpful overall, no complaints on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

By the way we had an electrical issue on the ship at 5am. A couple of cabins had smoke in them from what was called a short circuit in an electrical panel. They made multiple announcements in everyone ones cabins at 5am. Closed watertight doors, explained the situation, told people affected not to go back to cabins. AC currently out on decks 1 & 2 as of noon.

We were only given option to do either morning or evening cabin service, we're not allowed to have both.

FLSteve11, you should please post this to both the Carnival Facebook page and John Heald's Facebook page, because it has been confirmed by Carnival that YES you can have both - and that some of the staff may be confused still. You should contact guest services first with this info. I did take the liberty of posting on John's facebook, but not knowing your name or cabin number, they cannot address it....hence I am asking you to do it yourself so that this confusion can be clarified for both the balance of your cruise and for those sailing after you.

We are on day 5 of the cruise now so figured I'd get the Internet and give an update. No American Table, we have the old menus with the didja items. Food is pretty good overall, best food is the Tandoor station. We have only had one production show in the 5 days, the 80s one, seems like playlist production (4 guys, 4 girls, both sing and dance). Otherwise it has just been the "welcome show" which was more like a shopping commercial, a hypnotist, a magician, and the love & marriage show for main entertainment. Crew does try hard though. We were only given option to do either morning or evening cabin service, we're not allowed to have both. Crew are friendly and helpful overall, no complaints on them.

John Heald has been telling everyone on his Facebook posts that we can have both morning and evening cabin service. Can you let him know about your experience. We are going on the May 26 sailing on the Splendor.

Wow is right!! We are also sailing out April 10th and hope they take care of the issue. If we have to be without AC then they should discount our rooms or something.

I really don't think I could be without air conditioning or at least some reasonable level of temperature comfort in my room. This is one instance where I might consider that vacation guarantee, as I cant really envision myself sleeping on a lounger on deck. I hope this issue is quickly resolved, especially for those on board now.

I'm going to be there in April 3rd![emoji15]

I am sure they will get everything taken care of and everything will be fixed by then. I hope they take care of all of those passengers without air...that would definitely suck!

We were only given option to do either morning or evening cabin service, we're not allowed to have both. Crew are friendly and helpful overall, no complaints on them.

You should ask for Sergau (sp? pronounced sir jo) or Anna...they are the House Keeping manager and assistant. I bet they could straighten that out for you. Even if you don't care about both or just one service, it would be nice to know if they know and maybe it's just the stewards that are mistaken.

We were only given option to do either morning or evening cabin service, we're not allowed to have both. Crew are friendly and helpful overall, no complaints on them.

Apparently John is off on a short vacation right now, but Steve is filling in for him and sending info to him. He would like to know your name and cabin number so they can check into it. I can give you my email if you'd prefer not to put it on here.

Thanks!

I'm not even sure I really care about the morning cabin service, I have never gone without it so I can't decide. Nightly service is a must for the towel animals of course! However, with that said there are a ton of threads on CC talking about cabin stewards absolutely refusing to do twice daily service. There has to be something to it. I believe it was the Dream where it is a huge deal. I also don't believe a thing JH says anymore. I used to, but he is completely different now. This is all very interesting....

FLSteve11, I wonder which one did you choose?

If it was morning, did you still get a towel animal at night? If it was morning, how did that work out for towels and trash, etc? Basically what was your experience overall with the service? Did it seem adequate? Have you spoken with anyone that had the opposite one than you had to see what their experience was?

Thanks!

We are mid ship on deck 2 and Andy is out steward. We were offered (and accepted) twice a day cabin service.

For the record, we were not able to dock in Costa Maya today AND we have a medical emergency, so we are headed back to Cozumel. I don't think they will allow us off there, probably just dropping off the medical emergency.