Mexican Riviera & MDR questions

TiogaCruiser

Am heading to Mexican riviera on Sunday (Veendam) and have a few questions please. ( the Mexican riviera board is quiet).

1) Does HAL still offer the "always available" menu selections (even on Gala night)? I seem to remember folks saying the paper menu is reorganized and all selections are mixed together), and that they found the Always Availables were available even if not on the paper menu).

2) anyone have current info on internet packages (and which sites are available in the social media package)? (I am assuming CC is not)

3) any recommendation for spending maybe 2 hours (after whale watching) in Cabo. Am not interested in bars. Like history and culture and nature. Am looking for something close to the marina that I can walk to safely.

4) Am trying to prebook horseback riding on Stone island in the morning and do the Mercado in the early afternoon. All the vendors I contacted start late and return between 1-2. Any suggestions? (The riding is to cover more ground and see more than the horse-rider experience.) I also want to walk along the beach.

Thanks!

In Cabo, if you want to do a little souvenir shopping, as you step off the pier, instead of going to the right - where most of the town is - go to the left. About a block away is a building that doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it is jam packed with booths selling all sorts of Mexican items.

I looked it up and it is on the waterfront, just a couple of hundred feet to the left (east) from the tender pier. it is called the Marina Mercado. I have attached a couple of pictures that I found on the internet. One showing what the building looks like from the outside and another showing a few of the many booths on the inside. The vendors don't harass you like the ones in the street do.

mercado.jpg

inside%20mercado.jpg

If you like handblown Mexican glass, this can make a worthy visit during your extra time in Cabo - we came home with an entire set since we did not have to fly from San Diego. Concur they do wrap things very well, if you decide you want to take a few pieces home:

From Trip Advisor: Just returned today from Cabo and bought lovely glass at Israel's store. The sign on the store front says "Glass Factory" and it's located on Lazaro Cardenas Street near the Plaza Aramburo. It's a short walk from the marina and visiting Israel is well worth your time. As stated before, Israel does a wonderful job packing your glassware for travel and he speaks excellent English.

I looked it up and it is on the waterfront, just a couple of hundred feet to the left (east) from the tender pier. it is called the Marina Mercado. I have attached a couple of pictures that I found on the internet. One showing what the building looks like from the outside and another showing a few of the many booths on the inside. The vendors don't harass you like the ones in the street do.

mercado.jpg

inside%20mercado.jpg

Op, you really can't miss this market. It's very close to where the tenders let you off. I would say it's to the right if you are heading out if the tender area. I have no idea if that's east, west, north or south :D:o.

Thanks. Normally I'm not much of a shopper but this time I would like to try to get a nativity set and a leather purse for my DSIL. And I love ethnic/cultural textiles.

And I wouldn't mind picking up a few wine glasses. Had some small ones from TJ when I first set up my household some 40 years ago and really liked them.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Op, you really can't miss this market. It's very close to where the tenders let you off. I would say it's to the right if you are heading out if the tender area. I have no idea if that's east, west, north or south :D:o.

Unless they have changed where you get off the tender since May, it is to the left.

OP, below are two pics of CSL's marina. In the top pic, the large pier in the center is the tender pier used by cruise ships. HAL typically uses the middle of the three docks "sticking out" on the top of that pier. The Marina Mercado discussed here is the large white roofed building to the left of the large pier as you exit same. Right in front of that building, on the marina side, is a smaller dock used by pleasure craft

In the bottom pic, the same building is located centrally at about 4-5 o'clock showing the tan colors of the front of the structure

Cabo%20San%20Lucas%20marina_zpsuufola9n.jpg

Cabo%20San%20Lucas%20marina%202_zps251h9pgy.jpg?t=1449592877

OP, below are two pics of CSL's marina. In the top pic, the large pier in the center is the tender pier used by cruise ships. HAL typically uses the middle of the three docks "sticking out" on the top of that pier. The Marina Mercado discussed here is the large white roofed building to the left of the large pier as you exit same. Right in front of that building, on the marina side, is a smaller dock used by pleasure craft

In the bottom pic, the same building is located centrally at about 4-5 o'clock showing the tan colors of the front of the structure

Cabo%20San%20Lucas%20marina_zpsuufola9n.jpg

Thanks Copper for those great aerial pictures. For more clarification, the Mercado is the triangular shaped building to the left as you step on land. You can't miss it.

Thx for the pics copper. Strange, it always seems like it's on the right to me but I know where it is so no big deal. It's pretty easy for anyone to find it. I remember you posting pics of Cozumel as well. Very helpful.

Have a good day up there Cruz Chic

Thanks all.

And Copper, those aerials make it easy to understand what people have meant about walking around the marina. It's going to be good! (This is my second MR cruise inspired by your blog thread last year.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Thanks all.

And Copper, those aerials make it easy to understand what people have meant about walking around the marina. It's going to be good! (This is my second MR cruise inspired by your blog thread last year.)

Enjoy VEDM and the Mexican Riviera, Tioga!

Thanks Tom O. and John for your able assistance!

We will also be on the Veendam this Sunday and appreciate the shopping assistance. We have always turned to the right when exiting the pier in Cabo, so this time we will vector left!

Hi TiogaCruiser!

We will also be on the Veendam this Sunday and appreciate the shopping assistance. We have always turned to the right when exiting the pier in Cabo, so this time we will vector left!

Hi TiogaCruiser!

Do you have a vector, Victor? ;)

Hi TiogaCruiser!

Hi BillS

Counting the days.... hours.... 'til we hear those 3 toots sending us out to sea....

Hi Tioga Cruiser!

Yes, almost down to counting the hours instead of days!

This will be our 2nd time on the Veendam, but we have done this itinerary several times. It provides a nice and easy break for us.

Come Saturday, it will be San Diego or Bust for us!

Hi Tioga Cruiser!

Yes, almost down to counting the hours instead of days!

This will be our 2nd time on the Veendam, but we have done this itinerary several times. It provides a nice and easy break for us.

Come Saturday, it will be San Diego or Bust for us!

There's rain in San diegos forecast, so I may be swimming from the Amtrak station!

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Thanks all.

It's a very pleasant way to spend some time, and some great places to get a drink or two and some good food, and free wifi. We usually stop at Solomon's Landing.

Thanks for the pictures Copper. That is where I thought it was, but I've only been to Cabo a few times so didn't want to provide incorrect information in case I was remembering wrong. :)