Can I brew my own coffee on the Breakaway

13seth

We have a balcony (B2) cabin with a coffee maker. Basically, I want to bring my own ground coffee to brew in the provided coffee maker. I am hoping that someone can tell me what filters or device I would need to make this happen?

The reason for this is I love my coffee, don't want to spend extra on specialty coffee and have read that the ship coffee is not great.

I have seen reusable filters to use your own coffee in Keurig machines and am hoping to find something similar.

Thanks!

I used to work for an airline and one of our Captains always carried some small scissors, a small stapler and his own coffee. He would cut open the sealed coffee packs, empty them, fill w/ his own coffee, staple shut and brew. This may be an idea for you if the machines on NCL use the single use filter packs/pod style system typically found in hotels (which is what I think they are)

You could also bring some single use tea bags meant for steeping loose tea and do the same with those. I have some that are long and rectangular I think I bought at the grocery store that I use for steeping loose tea

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I used to work for an airline and one of our Captains always carried some small scissors, a small stapler and his own coffee. He would cut open the sealed coffee packs, empty them, fill w/ his own coffee, staple shut and brew.

Ha! That is brilliant!

FWIW, I've tried a few different methods (Starbuck's Via instant, portable french press, aeropress, etc.) and have just decided I'm not in to the hassle of packing extra stuff/making my own coffee on vacation.

We have a balcony (B2) cabin with a coffee maker. Basically, I want to bring my own ground coffee to brew in the provided coffee maker. I am hoping that someone can tell me what filters or device I would need to make this happen?

The reason for this is I love my coffee, don't want to spend extra on specialty coffee and have read that the ship coffee is not great.

I have seen reusable filters to use your own coffee in Keurig machines and am hoping to find something similar.

Thanks!

We were in a standard balcony cabin and was told it was a Hamilton Beach pod brewer. I ordered Melitta Coffee Pods from Amazon. I ordered dark roast and it wasn't too bad -- definitely better than the coffee they provide.

BA pax in standard balcony get the Hamilton single cup flat/pod-style drip coffee maker (as pictured here on Amazon)

Get the filters (on Amazon) & you can make your blend, strengthen & all, etc. as desired. No staples needed per instructions :D http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A89H6X2?keywords=coffee%20pods&qid=145020514690&ref_=sr_1_14&sr=8-

Edited by mking8288

I used to work for an airline and one of our Captains always carried some small scissors, a small stapler and his own coffee. He would cut open the sealed coffee packs, empty them, fill w/ his own coffee, staple shut and brew. This may be an idea for you if the machines on NCL use the single use filter packs/pod style system typically found in hotels (which is what I think they are)

You could also bring some single use tea bags meant for steeping loose tea and do the same with those. I have some that are long and rectangular I think I bought at the grocery store that I use for steeping loose tea

So,,, f0lgers singles is exactly that. Ground coffee in a "tea bag". Just get hot water from your in-roof coffee maker and steep your own coffee.

BA pax in standard balcony get the Hamilton single cup flat/pod-style drip coffee maker (as pictured here on Amazon)

Get the filters (on Amazon) & you can make your blend, strengthen & all, etc. as desired. No staples needed per instructions :D http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A89H6X2?keywords=coffee%20pods&qid=145020514690&ref_=sr_1_14&sr=8-

You really don't need to go through all this trouble. Just bring some regular round filters, put them in like you would in a standard drip coffee maker, add ground coffee to taste, and hey presto you've got good coffee! I bring a bag of Dunkin Dark Roast with me and do this all the time. Don't forget to borrow a tablespoon and a tea spoon from the buffet and put them away in a drawer or your steward will remove them when then clean the cabin. :)

You really don't need to go through all this trouble. Just bring some regular round filters, put them in like you would in a standard drip coffee maker, add ground coffee to taste, and hey presto you've got good coffee! I bring a bag of Dunkin Dark Roast with me and do this all the time. Don't forget to borrow a tablespoon and a tea spoon from the buffet and put them away in a drawer or your steward will remove them when then clean the cabin. :)

A regular size filter will Fit? If this is the case I will give it a try, thanks!

Leaving loose coffee grounds for the cabin steward to clean up from the garbage can isn't really fair. When the steward takes the garbage down to the garbage sorting area, they have to hand sort everything, so a wet mass of coffee grounds makes a mess of this process.

Leaving loose coffee grounds for the cabin steward to clean up from the garbage can isn't really fair. When the steward takes the garbage down to the garbage sorting area, they have to hand sort everything, so a wet mass of coffee grounds makes a mess of this process.

I bring my own coffee, grinder and water kettle whenever I travel (I leave the kettle at home for a cruise) and my coffee kit also includes a supply of sandwich-sized ziploc bags for the grounds. I agree that a hotel maid or cabin steward shouldn't have to deal with my extra mess.