Upsell Elf Visit for Escape!

duchesslt

I got an upsell offer for my Escape sailing from a 5th floor 239 SF family oceanview to a mid ship deck 13 mini suite for $200 total (3 passengers). I

thought it was interesting to find out the mini suite size is 207 SF and the balcony 44 SF. This is different than the 239 SF (which Norwegian's rep explained includes the balcony) on the website.

Merry Christmas to all Cruise Critic posters! I learned a lot from this site, including the advantages of holding out for a last minute upsell :)

I got an upsell offer for my Escape sailing from a 5th floor 239 SF family oceanview to a mid ship deck 13 mini suite for $200 total (3 passengers). I

thought it was interesting to find out the mini suite size is 207 SF and the balcony 44 SF. This is different than the 239 SF (which Norwegian's rep explained includes the balcony) on the website.

Merry Christmas to all Cruise Critic posters! I learned a lot from this site, including the advantages of holding out for a last minute upsell :)

when are you sailing and did you call or did they call you

I will be on this sailing too! How can I find the upsell number that you called? Thank you!

So how did you approach the upsell when you spoke to them..need all the tips ty

I just said that I was told to call this number to see what they could do to book me in a mini suite - I had seen positive reviews on this room after the Escape started sailing and needed the space to spread out my mom, my son and me. They were very, very pleasant and helpful.

Don't waste their time or yours though calling too early. Two weeks before sailing is the EARLIEST most report any success. When I called for my cruise, Monday 12 days before my Saturday cruise, I was polite and just inquired. They said no. I called back 10 days prior and was polite, they upgraded me to a balcony from inside for $300 total.

There is no secret formula.

I'm curious about how this works if you have booked through a TA. Does one have their TA call and then the TA lets you know and you go from there? Or do you call directly and if the price is right and you agree it's just added to your current cruise and you pay through NCL? Thanks for the insight.

Don't waste their time or yours though calling too early. Two weeks before sailing is the EARLIEST most report any success. When I called for my cruise, Monday 12 days before my Saturday cruise, I was polite and just inquired. They said no. I called back 10 days prior and was polite, they upgraded me to a balcony from inside for $300 total.

There is no secret formula.

More great info thanks for posting. We are 19 days out and have an obstructed ocean view and would gladly pay $300 for a balcony upgrade.

I'm curious about how this works if you have booked through a TA. Does one have their TA call and then the TA lets you know and you go from there? Or do you call directly and if the price is right and you agree it's just added to your current cruise and you pay through NCL? Thanks for the insight.

You must go through your TA, the cruise line won't speak to you usually.

You must go through your TA, the cruise line won't speak to you usually.

That wasn't our experience, at least with the upsell department. We booked our Jan. 2016 cruises thru our TA a year ago. We called NCL upsell directly today to see if we could upgrade to a balcony or mini-suite from our oceanview cabin. We ended up getting an upgrade all the way to a Haven penthouse balcony suite! We paid some extra, of course, but the total of what we had previously paid plus what we paid today was still well under half of what NCL was advertising those same Haven rooms for on their website today. Now...if you call the normal NCL customer service number, they usually will refer you back to your travel agent. But the upsell department can and will bump you up without any involvement at all with your travel agent. In fact, come to think of it, I guess I'd better give my agent a call to let him know about our cabin change.

That wasn't our experience, at least with the upsell department. We booked our Jan. 2016 cruises thru our TA a year ago. We called NCL upsell directly today to see if we could upgrade to a balcony or mini-suite from our oceanview cabin. We ended up getting an upgrade all the way to a Haven penthouse balcony suite! We paid some extra, of course, but the total of what we had previously paid plus what we paid today was still well under half of what NCL was advertising those same Haven rooms for on their website today. Now...if you call the normal NCL customer service number, they usually will refer you back to your travel agent. But the upsell department can and will bump you up without any involvement at all with your travel agent. In fact, come to think of it, I guess I'd better give my agent a call to let him know about our cabin change.

How were you billed, if I may ask? Did you pay through your NCL account? Did they take your payment info over the phone or something and email you a confirmation? Thanks!

I'm not surprised they offered you an upsell on a family ocean view. They are some of the roomiest cabins on board short of a suite. Always one of the first cabins to sell out too. I do hope you enjoy your balcony and the more stylish bath. Assuming you are only two or three in your cabin you should be quite comfortable and the balcony makes it a good deal. If there are four of you, you may be a bit cramped. Happy sailing and be well!

Edited by bobg529

How were you billed, if I may ask? Did you pay through your NCL account? Did they take your payment info over the phone or something and email you a confirmation? Thanks!

The NCL upsell dept took my credit card info over the phone; we got an emailed confirmation minutes later; and my NCL online cruise info was updated a short time thereafter. When I let my travel agent know what we'd done the next day, he confirmed and sent us updated documents also confirming the change. We double-checked that everything else remained unchanged (OBC, etc) and there were no discrepancies. All smooth as silk!

Garry

I'm not surprised they offered you an upsell on a family ocean view. They are some of the roomiest cabins on board short of a suite. Always one of the first cabins to sell out too. I do hope you enjoy your balcony and the more stylish bath. Assuming you are only two or three in your cabin you should be quite comfortable and the balcony makes it a good deal. If there are four of you, you may be a bit cramped. Happy sailing and be well!

thank you! Glad to hear it is enough space for 3!:)

thank you! Glad to hear it is enough space for 3!:)

You're welcome, don't mention it!:). Have you joined the roll call for your sailing? The cruise critic group will be having its meet and mingle on the morning of the first sea day. January 17th, 11AM at Cagney's. Check it out. Maybe I will see you there as I'm on the same cruise! :D