Can someone please explain Labadee to me? (what to do with kids and a budget?)

kathy95

We've only been on a few cruises, so we're still new to this. Can someone please explain Labadee to me?

The only other "private island" we've been to was on a Disney Cruise and it really was private. All the food on shore was included in the cruise, and it was all run by Disney. The kids swam (for free), although we did rent bikes for a modest price.

It looks to me that Labadee is shared by several cruise lines. We're on RCI. Can anyone tell me, is the food on the island included as part of the cruise? Or is it like any other port of call where you will pay at individual restaurants?

Also, I'm looking for something fun to do with 3 boys (ages 5-11) that won't break the bank. Is there anything to do that doesn't cost $85 per person?

Is there an option for just swimming/snorkeling off the beach? Do you have to pay extra to use the water slides, etc? If we went with a budget of $0, would we be able to do anything and enjoy it? Or does everything cost money?

My ideal day would be just to lounge around on the beach, swim, and maybe snorkel or kayak a bit.

Any suggestions?

We've only been on a few cruises, so we're still new to this. Can someone please explain Labadee to me?

The only other "private island" we've been to was on a Disney Cruise and it really was private. All the food on shore was included in the cruise, and it was all run by Disney. The kids swam (for free), although we did rent bikes for a modest price.

It looks to me that Labadee is shared by several cruise lines. We're on RCI. Can anyone tell me, is the food on the island included as part of the cruise? Or is it like any other port of call where you will pay at individual restaurants?

Also, I'm looking for something fun to do with 3 boys (ages 5-11) that won't break the bank. Is there anything to do that doesn't cost $85 per person?

Is there an option for just swimming/snorkeling off the beach? Do you have to pay extra to use the water slides, etc? If we went with a budget of $0, would we be able to do anything and enjoy it? Or does everything cost money?

My ideal day would be just to lounge around on the beach, swim, and maybe snorkel or kayak a bit.

Any suggestions?

The same as Disney's private island . All cruise lines under the RCI banner can or do use it. Water equipment and zip lining will have a charge to them.

If the kids want a float, bring cheap blow up ones....they charge a fortune for their floating mats. You do not need to spend a penny on Labadee (or Coco Cay)...it's a beach day...that's all!

Loungers are everywhere...move them if you want to. Sun and shade...sand and surf....unless you want to book an "excursion"., like the plastic waterpark, or jet skis, or zip-line, roller coaster, etc....you don't need to spend a red cent. Lunch is served on the beach.

You can come and go from the ship as you wish.....

Of course, alcohol and soda cost the same on the island as on the ship.....but there are included options, too...like lemonade, and ice water. Aside from the odd drink or two, we never spend money on the private beach days!

Edited by cb at sea

No charge for lunch at Labadee, so feel free to eat up, We have been to Labadee 3 times and our next cruise in Feb 2016 will be our 4th, we are buying our own beach mats and going snorkeling, we are also renting out one of the cabanas, we do not spend any money on that day, I might buy via seapass some beer because it will be my birthday that day we are at Labadee

The only thing we have ever spent money on while at Labadee, has been snorkel gear. Although several years ago we purchased our own gear including the vests(RCCL requires them - but they do not require you to inflate them...) so now we spend $0.00

Edited by nopvntv

We took 7 grandkids to Labadee--it was a great beach day and we spent $0. The kids bought a few souvineers with their own money.

We spent most of the day on the beach, which was calm and perfect for kids. There was a small water park--more just sprinklers and jets--that they enjoyed. The meal was free and so were the shuttle rides, if you wanted them.

They got along fine with their masks and just swimming and playing in the sand.

• 6 months later...
Can you bring your own beach float Matt? I have one for my pool

That I love! It folds up really small too

If it fits in your suitcase and you want to bring it along, there would be no problem. Some people buy the cheap blowup ones and just toss them out at the end of the day.

The picnic lunch is just like you were eating onboard the ship, except you will see flies all around the area. You rarely see a fly on the ship, unless they board while you are in a port.