Just off the Grandeur

We were on the Dec.9-Dec.19 cruise . I can offer Pros and Cons but the Pros outweigh the cons.

We booked a cruise for 2016 on the ship and the same cabin that we had this time.

Our Cabin Steward ,Allan was excellent as was our Waiter Kenneth and his assistant ,Pandy.

The Head Waiter ,Garth ,came to our table every evening to make sure everything was fine.

At the entrance to the Windjammer there was a wonderful young woman who was soooooooooo nice and soooo friendly.

We liked the CD ,we thought he was great.

The food in the MDR was very good and there were many choices .

There were many interesting activities on the ship and the Shore Excursions were good.

My only negative was the shows. The comedians were not that funny .The singers not that good .

There were 11 singers/dancers on the staff and in my opinion only 2 ,Michael and Ashley were good.

Many people complain about the mattresses . My mattress was quite firm ,exactly like I required it.

I look forward to my next Grandeur cruise.

Lenny

Thanks for your review Lenny. We will be on Grandeur on 1/16/2016.

I see that you liked your wait staff. Did you have "My time dinning"?

Same cruise as Lenny, Hi Lenny!

We had My time dining.

Agree with Lenny on most, however we didn't care for the cruise director Paul.

Food was good, mattress good. Dancers I thought were good, better than last April, some singers not the best. I missed the first comedian due to being sea sick,lol.. but the second was good.

Service was absolutely perfect!!! I mean wow, they are great!

my objective and subjective thoughts re the 12/9/15 cruise.

the mdr service was of high quality, the food was very good but it is to each persons taste, I went to izumi for lunch and chops for dinner and found both to be worth the money. the windjammer I found to be subpar but that is my subjective. the park café was great between meals.

the cd was very dry and more of a master of ceremonies my taste leans more upbeat, tt the activity director needs to learn how to effective run activities and needs seasoning or replacement, but claps to big money, the bingo guy, a future cd or whatever he wants.

the nighly entertainment, it is subjective, but the first night comedian was terrible, the rcc singers and dancers were uneven, the some singers were weak. the centruim entertainment was of high quality.

now here are some things that rcc needs to do.

1. I have walking for distance difficulty and I spoke with rcc and its accessible unit prior and was assured of a certain level of service which was not present on the ship, along with other matters I spoke with rcc before leaving. in summary I found a lack of coordination between the rcc land staff and the on ship experience, which needs tightened up.

2. once you leave the ship, at some ports, there was a long distance to the 3rd part shore providers, in some ports, but some ports were excellent. rcc the other cruise lines and the local govt. should place benches on the piers and encourage golf carts or mini transit on the pier to the 3rd party transit centers. the cost would be minimal and could be recouped by fees or advertising. I passed this on to rcc, I am cynical and believe they threw my idea away.

3. an observation without a good solution, I was in unit 8061, large interior, with the beds together, on one side of the bed there is a walkway area, the other side is tight and ends against a fixed piece of furniture were the tv is located, causing that side to walk over the bed, a design flaw, but rcc can't fix.

the staff on the ship were all friendly and accommodating, except my room attendant who was just going through the motion and the woman in charge of group sales, who I asked for mobility assistance and provided me a curt remarks on two occasions.

4. it seemed to me that there were a lot of people with mobility issues and that at Baltimore both on/off rcc seemed terribily understaffed with a body just to grab a wheelchair which were available and push the people off. but to rcc there seemed to be ample people carrying ice and liquor to restock the bars.

would I go on another cruise, yes. with rcc, yes. but unlike other correspondants, I am not loyal to royal and have other non-cruise ideas .

if this trip had a theme it would be that rcc is the Chevrolet of cruise lines, that the total experience was good and serviceability but certain events, contacts, or procedures just miss the mark and prevent rcc from going into the excellent class. now before all you, loyal to royal cheerleaders respond, that's just my opinion.

but as to my four stated remarks, I believe them to be objective and helpful.

remember there were 2000 passengers on the cruise with 3000 opinions.

Edited by ibis16

We were on the Dec.9-Dec.19 cruise . I can offer Pros and Cons but the Pros outweigh the cons.

We booked a cruise for 2016 on the ship and the same cabin that we had this time.

Our Cabin Steward ,Allan was excellent as was our Waiter Kenneth and his assistant ,Pandy.

The Head Waiter ,Garth ,came to our table every evening to make sure everything was fine.

At the entrance to the Windjammer there was a wonderful young woman who was soooooooooo nice and soooo friendly.

We liked the CD ,we thought he was great.

The food in the MDR was very good and there were many choices .

There were many interesting activities on the ship and the Shore Excursions were good.

My only negative was the shows. The comedians were not that funny .The singers not that good .

There were 11 singers/dancers on the staff and in my opinion only 2 ,Michael and Ashley were good.

Many people complain about the mattresses . My mattress was quite firm ,exactly like I required it.

I look forward to my next Grandeur cruise.

Lenny

Thanks for your input. Could you tell me which port in Cozumel that GOS uses? Do you know if it's always the same one?

We traveled with friends ,the wife was in a wheelchair and had no problems on the ship.

Re Paul the CD :

He was involved in activities from early morning to late at night .

He conducted the Hanukah service every evening for those who celebrated the holiday.

He was very pleasant to converse with .

My wife and I have been cruising since 1973 and have been on 7 different cruise lines .Paul Rutter is the very best CD we have ever encountered.

Thanks for your review. We love the Grandeur. Will be back on her Jan. 24. Of course for us, it is the convenience to the port and getting away from the cold weather.:confused:Usually cold weather.

We also will be on aboard for that cruise and for the same reason. Love the ship, but the no flights, and the lure of warm sun has us on board. Hope to meet you there.

Just got off Grandeur on the 27th. First time for Grandeur and first time for the Port of Baltimore. I was a bit skeptical of Grandeur as the reviews were so so but I really enjoyed it. My mattress was perfect. MDR food was fine. Windjammer was not so good, but that is just my opinion. MDR service and room steward service was exceptional. Aerial shows were beautiful. I would definitely sail on Grandeur again.

Thank you for the review!! We are looking forward to sailing on her in a couple of weeks!!

I don't take negative reviews to heart, they are typically someone bitching about the little things! :rolleyes: It seems to be in todays world, more people complain than compliment or people trying to get compensation for things they do not deserve!!

Its nice to see the positive even if it is mixed with some negative ;)

we had Paul as the CD on Legend and we really liked him. He was one of the favorites. We actually spoke to him often which is rare.

Can anyone tell me what time are the shows? This is the first time we are trying Anytime Dining and wish to pre reserve some times but do not want to miss the shows. thanks. As I recall from LOS the show was after late dining and we went at 10 pm for the shows...but maybe those were the late comedians...just cannot recall this detail.

PLS HELP.....