Luminae - MDR Menu?

themutis

Hi all recent Luminae travelers.

I have a suite booked for my Daughter (25yr) and myself in March and was looking forward to dining in Luminae. I had heard that you could also order off the MDR menu if there was nothing on the Luminae menu that appealed to you.

My daughter is not very adventurous so this option was appealing to me. Now I just read in one review that mid-cruise they were told they could no longer order off the MDR menu in Luminae. Can anyone else confirm that the policy has changed.

If it has, I may cancel the suite and just book a regular balcony. I don't want my daughter to be uncomfortable at dinner :)

Thanks for you comments!

We have just come back from a B2B on Reflection and regularly ordered off the MDR menu. On most night we were given both menus to look at and not just if we did not like something.

We also travel in Aquaclass and this has been the same, although is a little bit more of a pain for the kitchen as Blu is the other end of the ship.

I am sure you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all recent Luminae travelers.

I have a suite booked for my Daughter (25yr) and myself in March and was looking forward to dining in Luminae. I had heard that you could also order off the MDR menu if there was nothing on the Luminae menu that appealed to you.

Thanks for you comments!

We just off Summit. We had no problem to order anything we like from MDR menu. We believe that some dishes from MDR (like cobia fish) we requested were prepared by Luminae chief.

Just ask your waiter and he get you anything from MDR menu.

Hi!

We're currently on the Solstice in a suite and have eaten almost every dinner at Luminae.

On the first night, I didn't find any of the dishes (apps/mains) particularly appealing and asked our server for the main dining room menu. She looked hurt and confused by my request, but she went and got me the menu. I ordered the wedge salad and the steak (wedge salad was on that night's MDR menu, and the steak was part of the MDR's "classics" menu. She took my order, but again seemed confused by my request. A minute later, the Luminae hostess appeared and politely told me that due to a new policy, one could only order from the classics part of the MDR menu, and not the nightly menu. The classics are things like caesar salad, french onion soup, shrimp cocktail, escargot, steak, chicken.

No big deal. I just changed my salad request to the french onion soup.

There seems to be some inconsistency across the ships, but the above was my experience. Onboard the Reflection last month, in Luminae you could order anything from both menus, no problem.

The Hotess or Matre D' who is limiting you to the classic side of the MDR menu needs retraining. Have a chat with the Maitre d' if it is the hostess or an F&B manager or the MC Concierge. We've spent over a month dining in Luminae since April and have never had a reasonable special request denied and some very special meals offered without us asking. The MDR menu is easy to fulfill and they shouldn't say no to it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Hmmm if seems that on the Solstice and Millennium that this "new" policy of only being able to order the "Classic" items from the MDR has been invoked. Hoping it's just a miscommunication and not a new policy being rolled out.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that we have a thread complaining that you can't get MDR food in Luminae?

From Celebrity's marketing of Luminae, one would assume that this is like going to a fine restaurant and asking if they could bring you a steak from Steak and Shake next door.

Does the Luminae menu have its own daily "classics?"

No. You just order what you like. You can easily say "I'd like grilled salmon or grilled chicken" or my partner often ordered a plain broth consume.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that we have a thread complaining that you can't get MDR food in Luminae?

From Celebrity's marketing of Luminae, one would assume that this is like going to a fine restaurant and asking if they could bring you a steak from Steak and Shake next door.

But after eating in the same restaurant every night for weeks you may want a more simple dish. Most people don't choose to eat in the sane restaurant every night for a week, let a lone a month at a time as we've spent onboard. God forbid a suite guest would go to the mdr and take a seat from someone else. :rolls eyes: Or maybe they're eating with friends and prefer something else than the limited menu. Or maybe they'd just prefer the intimate atmosphere of Luminae. Or maybe the MDR food is, contrary to recent opinion of many simply good. Nevertheless no one has compared the MDR to steak and shake.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Dec. 13 Reflection cruise, the waiter brought the MDR menu without being asked every night, and often made suggestions from both. (Some good recommendations, but sometimes not quite on the mark for me.)

I appreciated this because I'm fond of a MDR item, the Top Chef Marcus Samuelsson barbecued chicken with mac & cheese and collards, and enjoyed every bite, as usual, one evening but in Luminae.

Edited by Caribbean Chris