Comparison of Shorex- So America- Need help please

TiogaCruiser

A co-worker leaves for South America early next week. She is taking the Zaandam from Buenas Aires to Antarctica, and up to Valpo. She needs a little help with the shorex in P. Arenas and P. Montt. When we went we were not able to get into P. Montt, so i cannot answer questions for that port. And i did a private tour in P. Arenas. So we need some advise, please, from those who have gone.

1) In Punta Arenas, how does Magdelena Island stack up to Otway Sound for penguins?

2) In Puerto Montt, she is looking at Petruhe Falls, Lake cruise and Chilean Countryside vs Symphony of Lakes and Volcanos.

Any light you can shed will be appreciated. She is not wanting to do a private tour, only HAL shorex. :)

Thanks

~TC

1. I liked both of these shorex but think the Magdalena Island one is the better the first time around. Just a longer and more wow! shorex, with more to see.

Otway is shorter and more low-key time. We saw condors and rheas too on this one, so it turned into a big deal for us.

This is a sensational cruise: I hope your co-worker has the best time!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I did HAL's shore excursion in Punta Arenas to Magdalena Island and it was fantastic! We saw thousands of penguins. The ferry ride is about 90 minutes one way, but is comfortable and you can stay inside or outside - they have food/drink on board as well.

I highly recommend it.

I did Otway Sound. It was a long ride and then a long walk on the boardwalks, not too much to see, there were just a few penguins but we were towards the end of the season, late February. Can't really recommend it from my experience.

We chose Otway Sound over Magdelena Island because we combined it (opted for the two-part tour) with the lunch at sheep ranch. This was late November and there were lots of penguins and chicks! It was probably the best excursion of the trip (although the estancia in Buenos Aires might be a tie).

In Puerto Montt, we did Petrohue Cascades & the City of Roses which was just something to get us into the countryside to see what was there. The national park was closed for a strike so our guide and driver thought fast and took us on to a lake, very scenic. This was intentionally NOT a full-day thing as we wanted to get back to the the worthwhile “market” 400 yards from the ship!

I did HAL's shore excursion in Punta Arenas to Magdalena Island and it was fantastic! We saw thousands of penguins. The ferry ride is about 90 minutes one way, but is comfortable and you can stay inside or outside - they have food/drink on board as well.

I highly recommend it.

Ditto - we did it in December when we went. Really enjoyed it.

I loved the Otway Sound excursion so much that I booked it again when I returned to Punta Arenas---gambling that I would be able to rent one of the few scooters).

I loved that I could see the penguins so close on land, living in a way that I couldn't see in Antarctica. Then to see the thousands on the beach and in the sea was such fun.

If I thought I could be certain to get a scooter, I would do this again next trip.

I would love to take that Puerto Montt excursion. I have been out to the area on other excursions, and it is very pretty. I have also been to the falls, and they are nice to see. Now I would love to take the boat ride there.

btw, I love that shopping area (this from a woman who hates shopping), and was very disappointed that we missed that port. There was something I wanted to buy! Now I have to go again just to get the purchase. ;)

I loved the Otway Sound excursion so much that I booked it again when I returned to Punta Arenas---gambling that I would be able to rent one of the few scooters).

I loved that I could see the penguins so close on land, living in a way that I couldn't see in Antarctica. Then to see the thousands on the beach and in the sea was such fun.

If I thought I could be certain to get a scooter, I would do this again next trip.

I would love to take that Puerto Montt excursion. I have been out to the area on other excursions, and it is very pretty. I have also been to the falls, and they are nice to see. Now I would love to take the boat ride there.

btw, I love that shopping area (this from a woman who hates shopping), and was very disappointed that we missed that port. There was something I wanted to buy! Now I have to go again just to get the purchase. ;)

That's the idea, Ruth: just have to go again. Absolutely!!

Agree about Otway Sound: up close and personal just blew us away!