Hong Kong Airport Arrival Help Needed

hpeabody

I have never done this. I will arrive at Hong Kong airport from the US on CX (Cathay Pacific) I believe the arrival will be at TERMINAL 1. I will need to get to the desk in TERMINAL 2 to exchange prepaid AIRPORT EXPRESS voucher for pass at Plaza Premium Lounge (Arrival Hall, Terminal 2). I am trying to understand the logistics. I have tried looking at websites, but still not really clear.

Is it advisable or not to have prepaid for the AIRPORT EXPRESS. If it is not prepaid where do you purchase a round trip pass? (I can cancel the prepaid voucher) I am kind of hoping to avoid any long lines if possible.

Can someone give me a little basic walk through of the process I should expect from arrival at TERMINAL 1 ending up at Salisbury YMCA Hotel on Kowloon.

TIA

There probably isn't a need to prepay for an airport express voucher since it looks like you need to go through the hassle to exchange it for a ticket.

There are two counters to buy MTR tickets or Octopus cards. The first one you see may have a bit of a lineup but there is a second counter closer to the platform which usually doesn't have a lineup.

From Kowloon station, you would need to complete your trip by taxi, which are relatively inexpensive. Alternatively, you cross the harbour on the airport express to Hong Kong Station, change lines to cross the harbour back to TST station and then take the underground walkways to your hotel.

What may be easier is to take airport bus A21 which has a stop on Middle Rd about a block away from your hotel. It will take a bit longer but is considerably cheaper. 33 HKD cash or buy an Octopus card. Google "A21 bus airport bus hong kong" for route and schedule info.

No need to buy the prepaid ticket at all. The walk from Terminal 1 to 2 is a good 10 to 15 minute walk.

When you exit from the Custom hall, before you hit the public greeting area, there is a lobby with several counters. One sells the Airport Express tickets. Another is a Bank Of China money exchange counter and the other one is hotel reservation desk. Yes, there is usually a line for the ticket, but may be 4 to 5 persons only.

There is another counter before you reach the train platform, more staff but a wait is usually required. But do not worry, the trains run at 8 minute intervals during the day.

When you get off at the Kowloon Station, find the shuttle to Salisbury, the bus trip should be less than 15 minutes.

The total trip from Customs to hotel should be within one hour.

There is no need to get any prepaid Airport Express tickets in HKG. I am not sure if this is a Plaza Premium Lounge promotion but it is only worthwhile if they are providing a good deal.

A single journey ticket from the airport to Kowloon station costs HK$90. If you are travelling as a group buy a group ticket at a reduced price. A group ticket for two costs HK$140 ($70 each). These special fare tickets can only be purchased at a customer service point (you talk to a person) and not at ticket machines.

At HKG there are multiple points where you can purchase Airport Express tickets. The first is after you leave customs (but before you exit the arrival hall, on the left). It is usually more crowded as tourists generally go there. There is another ticket sales point in the middle of the Arrivals Hall under the “Train to City” sign. The third, and easiest, is the customer service desk on the platform itself (it is in the middle of the platform, just in front of the train). Most of the time the wait (if any) is short. Credit cards are accepted.

Know that you actually do NOT need a ticket to board the train. The ticket (contact type) is required only once, as you exit your destination station. No on board checks are done.

So I would suggest the “Walk through” at HKG:

1. Arrive at Terminal 1, Collect bags, go through immigration and customs.

2. Walk directly to the train on the same level. (Turn left at Arrivals Hall, look for big “Train to City” sign in the middle, you will arrive on the platform in less than 2 minutes. There is only one train.

3. Go to the middle of the platform and purchase the ticket at the Customer Service Desk.

4. If there is a queue and the train is already waiting, just board the train without tickets. It is perfectly legal. Purchase the same tickets at the Kowloon Station customer service desk at the platform when you arrive and then exit the station.

5. You have a choice of taking a taxi to the Salisbury hotel, or use the free Airport Express Shuttle Bus (Route K2 to Peninsula Hotel) – show the boarding pass.

There may be other “tricks” to get a slightly better deal depending on whether you are flying home from HKG, how many people in your group, and your intended length of stay in HKG, but the difference is not big.

If you have to go there, the Plaza Premium (Arrivals) Lounge is actually one level right below the customer service desk at the middle of the Airport Express Platform. The signage is not very clear. Follow the same Train to City sign to the middle of the platform. Take an escalator / elevator down with your bags. The lounge is on the left, in the passageway between Terminal 1 and 2.

Edited by dbbsteve

HKG is one of the most visitor's friendly and efficient 24/7 airport system in the world, where English is spoken well enough by all those behind various counters and podiums, etc. on information and assistance, questions, etc. - the airport has free WiFi everywhere.

A picture is worth a thousand words and video = 10 thousand words, easily - # 1 here has a good overview of arrival & walk thru. #2 here has a virtual view of the free & quick automated people mover's (mini-train) ride from the typical CX gates to the main/central terminal (T1 for most arrivals) - follow the large/bilingual signs to head "downstairs" (escalators or elevators) to go thru immigration first, then, proceed to pickup your luggage at the carousals - there are plenty of free luggage carts to use, you can take them out "landside" to the Airport Express Train platform/waiting area (where there are porter's help, if desired) or to other forms of ground transportation (i.e. to the Airport Bus with various routes - exact change in local currency or the Octopus Card (regular ones for local/frequent visitors & special ones for tourists, with different reloaded values for short stay and/or longer stays, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xtNU5zAWk

Here's a video of the A21 Bus ride into the "city" of Kowloon, it's maybe 15 to 20 "limited" stops to one of the closest stop in Tsim Sha Tsui ("TST") to within 2 blocks of the Salisbury YMCA - if you can manage your luggage to bring them onto/off the air-conditioned double decker bus, with bilingual announcement of each upcoming stops. If you are rested in-flight and not too tired, it's a 45 to 60 minutes scenic, above-ground ride thru town - sort of an unguided, free tour across town to various hotels. We've done it with our 25" rollers plus carry-on, and of course, when I travel light with 22" bags and hand luggage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJvRo-V7nHg

There are also "uniformed" volunteers in the arrival level at the airport to provide traveler's aide and assistance, answer questions and point the ways for you, feel free to use them - they are easily identified. The HK Tourism Board has an info counter & help desk after the secured arrival area - just before reaching the public "meet & greet" area, with free maps, guides and of course, one-to-one help.

If you want to pay by cash we found only a couple of ATM's and long queues.We should have used the foreign exchanges,who had reasonable rates, and found ATM's in the city later. We bought an Octopus card and it was great and the refund at the end of our visit also easy. As others said the airport is really well signposted and also the station at Kowloon where we took a taxi ( cost HKD $60)since it was Saturday night at 7pm and dark and our hotel was not on the free shuttle list!

You will be tired. Take the airport express to Kowloon station and a taxi to the Salisbury. You will be glad you did. No need to prepay the express train. taxis are inexpensive. The salisbury is a great choice. As good a location as any hotel in HK. Cost about 42 HK or 6 US$ for the taxi portion.

Edited by Earl Rosebery

• 4 weeks later...