Shore Excursion prices Med

MrsKNZ

Hi everyone! I'm hoping that someone can help me - I'm looking at shore excursion prices for out Med cruise in July, but I'm only getting NZD prices through Celebrity's website and can't change it to the onshore currency. We have OBC and want to use that, but don't know how much we're budgeting for.

We're looking specifically at Pompeii from the Amalfi Coast stop, and Vatican City plus Rome City Centre drop off. TIA!!

The one Celebrity charges for OBC? It's ridiculously low, and nothing near what I would pay if purchasing cash here - around 15-20c different. I did use that but I don't know if I can trust it for the excursions.

Hi everyone! I'm hoping that someone can help me - I'm looking at shore excursion prices for out Med cruise in July, but I'm only getting NZD prices through Celebrity's website and can't change it to the onshore currency. We have OBC and want to use that, but don't know how much we're budgeting for.

We're looking specifically at Pompeii from the Amalfi Coast stop, and Vatican City plus Rome City Centre drop off. TIA!!

The onboard prices are all in USD.

If you scroll to the bottom of Celebrity's website and change the country to United States, it will change the prices on the website to USD :)

Hmmm, I'll try again. I can't get prices unless I'm logged into my profile, and that keeps defaulting back to NZD.

If you multiply the NZ cost by 0.67 you will get an indicative costing. We are on the Constellation cruise in April and have decided to pay in NZ dollars for the Pompeii excursion out of Salerno and use our OBC for other things yet to be decided. The price to Pompeii in NZ dollars on the Constellation was cheaper than I could find on any private excursion via the internet. We are going to take the train from the port to Rome as we are staying in Rome for three days after the cruise. The train trip is a pittance compared with Cruise line charges.

Costs may change once you get on board anyway depending upon prevailing exchange rates at the time of sailing. Prepaying ones excursion at least guarantees the costs.

Thanks Beanb41, I appreciate that. We too are in Rome for three days after the cruise, I was feeling swayed by the ease of the transfer and the bonus of getting straight into the Vatican quickly without standing in line in the summer heat for hours! Lazy, I know ;-)

Thanks Beanb41, I appreciate that. We too are in Rome for three days after the cruise, I was feeling swayed by the ease of the transfer and the bonus of getting straight into the Vatican quickly without standing in line in the summer heat for hours! Lazy, I know ;-)

We are booking our Vatican experience privately the day after disembarkation. Its a matter of still finding the best option as there are so many offering the skip the queues, early entry, you name it someone is offering to provide it. It comes down to convenience and cost. I would be reluctant to rely on a ships excursion because of the need to get to the Vatican early or I have been told that there will be a Friday night tour again skipping the lines starting in April. Dates are still to be published . Our plan on leaving the ship is train to Rome , check in to hotel / drop off bags ( our hotel is 5 minutes from Main Terminus station) and do the Collessum tour in the afternoon, Vatican following morning. With so much to see and so little time it is very much a case of maximising ones time. We have a day in Rome before joining the ship with which to sus out the lay of the land. As we are there over the ANZAC Day period and have family connections with Monte Cassino we shall be going to visit the Abbey and the NZ war cemetery also. So much to see and so little time

What part of GODZOWN are you from? We are in Wellington

Yeah, hubby's toured Rome twice (so has done it all!), I've been once but was injured so didn't see anything other than the resort pool and bar. Our hotel is near the Spanish steps and Trevi fountain, and I'm comfortable walking up to the Coliseum at some stage, it's really the Vatican and St Peters that I'm concerned about queues and tourists (ironic, I know!).

We're from Auckland, 'enjoying' the weather today (any wonder I'm dreaming of our summer cruise?)!

It is now possible to pre-reserve a ticket for the Vatican Museum and avoid the long lines. You do have to specify a time. If you go to the Vatican website you will see all the options, including booking an official guided tour, if you prefer that to going it alone.

I'd recommend this approach over the cruise excursions...

Vatican Museum site: http://www.museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

You probably already realize this, but it's a Jubilee year in Rome, so sites are likely to be more crowded than ever, unfortunately, whether you visit on your own or with a tour.

It is now possible to pre-reserve a ticket for the Vatican Museum and avoid the long lines. You do have to specify a time. If you go to the Vatican website you will see all the options, including booking an official guided tour, if you prefer that to going it alone.

I'd recommend this approach over the cruise excursions...

Vatican Museum site: http://www.museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

You probably already realize this, but it's a Jubilee year in Rome, so sites are likely to be more crowded than ever, unfortunately, whether you visit on your own or with a tour.

It could not possibly be more crowded this year at the Vatican. They shove - almost literally - tens of thousands through every day! Truly believe you could have a heart attack and die in the first gallery and appear still standing at the exit an hour or two later. The guided tours are not the way to go as going on your own there are a few places not on the main tour route to hide. This tour is a must be be aware of the pitfalls that await you and leave lots of time. Our first tour was guided (April) and we got in to begin after 2 hours of waiting. Second tour in June we waited in line over 5 hours to get inside after getting in line at 7am!

It could not possibly be more crowded this year at the Vatican. They shove - almost literally - tens of thousands through every day! Truly believe you could have a heart attack and die in the first gallery and appear still standing at the exit an hour or two later. The guided tours are not the way to go as going on your own there are a few places not on the main tour route to hide. This tour is a must be be aware of the pitfalls that await you and leave lots of time. Our first tour was guided (April) and we got in to begin after 2 hours of waiting. Second tour in June we waited in line over 5 hours to get inside after getting in line at 7am!

I don't understand -- you had a timed tour and/or tickets and you still waited in line for that amount of time? :eek: I have been to the Vatican many times and have never had that experience. They are generally pretty good about having multiple lines and getting people inside in time for their tours. What happened???

I have to say that I've done various official Vatican tours (including the Scavi tour and the new catacombs tour), taken private tours and done the museum on my own a few times as well. It IS one of the most crowded places at times, especially during peak tourist season. I have had good luck visiting in the off season (November, December, February).