Upsell Update

Gypsy-Bear

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my quest to upsell from an inside cabin to a balcony for our upcoming 14 day breakaway cruise. At the time I just missed out on an upsell of $300pp from inside to balcony. I was disappointed but some nice CC members advised me to wait until 15 days out and call the upsell department.

I called yesterday and was told there were no upsells available so I decided to call my TA and just pay the price diffference between the inside and balcony and be done with it. When I call my TA she advised me that I could upgrade to a balcony for 50pp but would lose my UBP. What?? I couldn't give that up since both my husband and I like to indulge a little so I declined.

Today, determined to get that balcony cabin, I called the upsell department again. To my delight they offered me an upgrade to a balcony for $200pp and I get to keep my UBP! So excited! I was assigned cabin 8710 and was happy just to have a balcony but after some research I have discovered that not only did I get a balcony cabin but one with an extra large balcony...100sq feet! It is at the very front of the ship which I have never experienced before but who cares I am cruising for 14 days in a cabin with and extra large balcony. This will be the best cruise ever.

Thanks to all who offered their advice. Cruise Critic is the best place ever to get helpful information!!

Happy cruising everyone!

P.S I was so excited I had to tell my husband so he won't be surprised on the ship but it is nice to share the excitement now!

1-800-625-4309 from what I have read it's only 2 weeks before the cruise.. I called yesterday for cruise on Jan 17th and they had no offers. Told me to call back next week.

I called Monday and was told there were no offers....called Tuesday got a girl named Kim and she gave me the offer.....keep trying!

Thanks so much for the info. Called this morning and upgraded to a aft penthouse suite for my 1/16 cruise on the Jade from a balcony for $1000 total for the 3 of us. I will be surprising my husband and adult son who are going with me:) Love the aft cabins!

It has been a rough couple of weeks for us. My sister died unexpectedly at my house Christmas eve and I am currently at her home cleaning it out so we can get it on the market. I was really looking forward to getting away and now more than ever, will I need a bit of pampering! Plan on using the UDP and laying on the balcony for some much needed R&R.

In the grand scheme of things life is short and money is just a piece of paper....you can't take it with you!

We got an upsell for the Jan 17 Getaway more than a week ago (last Tue). I called Monday and she told me there were no offers yet then the next day I got an email with offers (from balcony to Haven). Just letting people know sometimes it can be more than 15 days (which was when I planned to call back).

I had never heard of an "Upsell" opportunity, or even thought about it, until I read this thread. Out of curiosity, I called the number someone was kind enough to post and got a GREAT upgrade to The Haven, 12106. Pretty excited, and going to try to keep it a secret from my daughter, who is going on her first cruise since she was 5. Thanks for the advice, CC community!

Steffymi

I had never heard of an "Upsell" opportunity, or even thought about it, until I read this thread. Out of curiosity, I called the number someone was kind enough to post and got a GREAT upgrade to The Haven, 12106. Pretty excited, and going to try to keep it a secret from my daughter, who is going on her first cruise since she was 5. Thanks for the advice, CC community!

Steffymi

Assume you're asking steffy but I'll give you my info as well. We upgraded from a B6 (large balcony) on the Getaway to a Haven aft penthouse suite for the Jan 17 cruise last week. Ours was $750pp but only for the first 2 people so $1500 total for our group of 4.

• 1 month later...
What is an "upsale" and who do you contact?

We are cruising to Alaska this summer. Please reply or send me a response through my email at ateacher4stars@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Adaline

An upsale happens when you contact the cruise line ( or sometimes in the last few weeks, the upsell dept emails you with an offer ) and pay the difference between what you initially paid for your cabin and the current price for whatever category you are wanting to move up to. If prices have dropped dramatically, this can be quite a savings over just booking that category initially.

In the last few weeks before sale date, the cruiseline sometimes drops prices drastically in order to fill remaining cabins. The ideal thing is to monitor prices on the website and then call the regular reservation line when the prices fall to a level you feel comfortable with.

You can call the official "upsell" number which is unlisted but posted here regularly. If there are no offers, that does not mean you cannot call the regular reservation number and pay a perhaps very reasonable fee to go from inside or balcony to a balcony or mini suite. If the prices are not right, wait a few days or a week and try again.

We upsold ourselves from an aft facing mini to a corner penthouse suite for $80 pp on our Alaska cruise. We initiated it ourselves.

Edited by punkincc

So the lesson is to just keep asking and don't settle. Nice that you don't have to keep asking the same person or your PCC. Enjoy your vacation!

Don't keep asking...it's a sure way for them to close off this phone number and go to online only.

Thanks so much for the info. Called this morning and upgraded to a aft penthouse suite for my 1/16 cruise on the Jade from a balcony for $1000 total for the 3 of us. I will be surprising my husband and adult son who are going with me:) Love the aft cabins!

It has been a rough couple of weeks for us. My sister died unexpectedly at my house Christmas eve and I am currently at her home cleaning it out so we can get it on the market. I was really looking forward to getting away and now more than ever, will I need a bit of pampering! Plan on using the UDP and laying on the balcony for some much needed R&R.

In the grand scheme of things life is short and money is just a piece of paper....you can't take it with you!

Just wanted to send a hug your way. Lost my brother very unexpectedly (within days of his 43rd bday) in November. It's been brutal. Enjoy that suite life. Bask on that balcony. So true. Life is so short, never promised tomorrow.