Please HELP..... Lots of questions - first time cruiser

sabri

1. Who should we BOOK through? -

We have an exact cruise in mind.....

should we book straight with Royal Caribbean website, a Travel Agent, a or "Discount Cruise" website?

2. Should we pay for TIPS ahead of time on the website? What is the benefit?

3. Which side of the ship is it better to be on?

4. Is a JUNIOR SUITE large enough (comfortably) for 2 adult women and 2 teen girls? Ship is Royal Carribean's Grandeur of The Seas

5. Is 245 sq. feet (for a cabin) about equal to a normal Hotel Room? Is 58 sq. feet decent for a balcony?

Thank you so much. :)

5. Is 245 sq. feet (for a cabin) about equal to a normal Hotel Room? Is 58 sq. feet decent for a balcony?

Thank you so much. :)

245 sq ft is not hotel room size. It's about 15.5ft by 15.5ft, or 25ft by 10ft so try going to your bedroom and measuring the area out around your bed to give you some idea. Bear in mind that this footage will also include the bathroom, wardrobes, cupboards etc.

Think of the balcony as about two big strides by three plus - OK for sitting out on, but you wouldn't want to have too big a party on it?

Hope this helps

should we book straight with Royal Caribbean website, a Travel Agent, a or "Discount Cruise" website?

Do not book directly through RCCI. If you are comfortable with a faceless internet TA, a reputable service works. If you need "handholding" go with a local TA you know & trust. The differences are a matter of service, not necessarily the price or value of the product you'll receive.

You can. The biggest benefit is having a smaller bill at the end of the trip because this expense is taken care of in advance. Even if I did this, I'd still hand out some cash on the ship.

It doesn't matter.

4. Is a JUNIOR SUITE large enough (comfortably) for 2 adult women and 2 teen girls? Ship is Royal Carribean's Grandeur of The Seas

]5. Is 245 sq. feet (for a cabin) about equal to a normal Hotel Room? Is 58 sq. feet decent for a balcony?

I wouldn't want to fit 4 people in a 245 sq ft space, especially 4 women. It will be tight. Cruise ship cabins are small even the suites. This isn't like a hotel room where you get extra rooms with a suite. It is feasable.

I'd check the prices: can you book a inside across from a balcony? Book 1 adult & 1 teen in each & then switch so the adults get the balcony & the kids have their "own" cabin; obviously you'll get 2 bathrooms this way & the kids can, of course, enjoy your balcony.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Do not book directly through RCCI. If you are comfortable with a faceless internet TA, a reputable service works. If you need "handholding" go with a local TA you know & trust. The differences are a matter of service, not necessarily the price or value of the product you'll receive.

You can. The biggest benefit is having a smaller bill at the end of the trip because this expense is taken care of in advance. Even if I did this, I'd still hand out some cash on the ship.

It doesn't matter. Deck location matters. For the smoothest ride (least rocking) you want to be mid ship. The higher up you go & the farther toward bow or stern the more movement you will feel.

]5. Is 245 sq. feet (for a cabin) about equal to a normal Hotel Room? Is 58 sq. feet decent for a balcony?

I wouldn't want to fit 4 people in a 245 sq ft space, especially 4 women. It will be tight. Cruise ship cabins are small even the suites. This isn't like a hotel room where you get extra rooms with a suite. It is feasable.

I'd check the prices: can you book a inside across from a balcony? Book 1 adult & 1 teen in each & then switch so the adults get the balcony & the kids have their "own" cabin; obviously you'll get 2 bathrooms this way & the kids can, of course, enjoy your balcony.

Enjoy your first cruise.

As far as who to book with, I have done both TA and online. I got the BEST price online, but that is not always the case. If you book far enough ahead, a TA will get lower prices if YOU look and do the research and call her. I do not know if an online co will reduce the price - good question though.

I would not prepay tips, there really is no need to. You can add them to your room charge during the trip though and give extra if you want to. I have never tipped less than recommended.

A suite will be fine for 4 - I did a regular balcony with 4 and it was fine, just don't expect a hotel room size. It will seem very small when you first go in, but you will realize after a short time that you don't need anymore room.

The reason not to book directly with RCI: If something goes wrong, their customer service, like alot of other cruise line's, is a nightmare to deal with. A good TA (and an online agency is the equivalent of a TA in RCI's minds) will handle any problems so you won't have to deal with RCI's customer service.

If you have a good local TA I would use them, or look for an online website that you are comfortable with.

For 2 women plus 2 teens, I would recommend getting 2 rooms, maybe a balcony plus an inside. You will want the additional bathroom. However, if you go for the JS, you will all get 2 Crown&Anchor credits and priority boarding. And you can always send the teens to use the bathrooms in the exercise/spa area to get ready.

There is no better side of the ship to be on unless you count aft (across the back of the ship) as a side. Each side will have it's own pros and cons. If at all possible though, try for one of the rooms on the back of the ship, especially the corner afts, as they have much larger balconies than the rooms on the sides.

My opinion differs from the other posters.

Booking through the cruiseline directly allows "YOU" to be in charge of your own booking. You can make changes, change your mind about anything, ask questions and get the answers. TA's are fine if you can find a reputable one that has actually been on a cruise ( same with online agents ) with that cruiseline and has sailed often enough to have an accurate opinion. Sometimes a TA can get you a little better price. Sometimes TA's call you back, sometimes they don't. Sometimes trying to get a hold of them at odd hours is impossible. Know matter what you decide do it with the confidence that your cruise will be wonderful.

Pre-paying tips is only beneficial if you want to get them paid before the cruise. No other benefit involved. They can be adjusted up or down before you sail or near the end of the cruise as you see fit.

We've had four large adults in an inside stateroom on the Sovereign of the Seas without any difficulty. ( SOS has probably the smallest insides in the world :) However, we come from a big family and a tight fit was normal at home in every circumstance. If you sleep in a king size bed in a room to yourself at home than there isn't a cabin afloat that will be large enough for you.

As to the balcony- you probably won't all be on it at the same time anyways so think of it as an extra and be happy with it. It its too small go out on deck.

Either side of the ship would be the same. Depending on some itineraries where you port ( like Alaska ) may make a difference , but again you can go out on deck.

enjoy!

Four women, one very small bathroom, trying to get ready on formal night all at once? Think about that. Plus one small closet for four women? Another thing to consider.

For a first cruise, I highly recommend a local travel agent. Once you have that first cruise under your belt, and you know the ins and outs of cruising, then book with an internet agency or with the cruise line directly. There can be many problems with internet agencies that could frustrate a first time cruiser such as not being able to contact them with a problem (some agencies only deal via email). If you find a really good local agent, they can provide some perks for you like pre-paid gratuities or a small cabin credit as a gift to you for booking with them.

You will find the balconies very tiny and won't accommodate four of you if you want to sit outside at the same time. There's only room for two chairs.

Four women, one very small bathroom, trying to get ready on formal night all at once? Think about that. Plus one small closet for four women? Another thing to consider.

You will find the balconies very tiny and won't accommodate four of you if you want to sit outside at the same time. There's only room for two chairs.

Actually a junior suite on Royal Caribbean will have a large walk-in closet so there will be enough closet space and the balcony is wider than a regular stateroom's balcony.

If you decide to book through a TA, be sure to ask if they charge fees for cancelling or changing your reservation - on top of what the cruiseline would charge. Not sure if some of them also have a booking fee.

245 sq ft is not hotel room size. It's about 15.5ft by 15.5ft, or 25ft by 10ft so try going to your bedroom and measuring the area out around your bed to give you some idea.

If I wanted to measure out 15.5 by 15.5 in my bedroom I would have to knock out some walls.....that seems quite spacious to me!!! :D

If I wanted to measure out 15.5 by 15.5 in my bedroom I would have to knock out some walls.....that seems quite spacious to me!!! :D

Ooops! Good point. I guess we are a bit spoilt, in that our house is old (built 1840), and the rooms tended to be a lot bigger in those days.

What I was suggesting was for the OP to roughly mark out a 245 sq ft area, with the bathroom, beds etc., then get 4 people in and see how it feels. You might have to do it outside in the garden maybe, but it could be fun anyway, although the neighbours may think something strange is going on.:confused:

Congratulations, you are going to LOVE cruising. Now read the boards, best thing you can do to get ready. Make friends here and if your ship has a CC meet and mingle GO!

To answer your questions. Remember these are opinions only and you know what opinoins are like...

It really does not matter with RCI. You know I would look for a CC group cruise on that ship and see if you can go cheaper that way. You do not have to participate in the group activities but the discounts can be fantastic! I am thrilled that I am going on a group cruise next week and honestly I have become so close online to four of the ladies I think I have friends for life. That does not appeal to everyone but you don't have to do that. There are some negatives but they are outweighed by the positives so much.

No benefit other than you can free up more room on your CC maybe or in my ca se not carry as much cash with you.

Does not matter anymore. If you were sailing from England to the US there used to be a saying "Posh", yes as in the term posh (someone may have said this, I did not read all the replies) it stood for Port Out Starboard Home. That was to ensure a smoother ride etc. Since you will be sailing in a circle (sort of ) your view does not matter.

Hmmm well teen girls can pretty much take over ANY space. With our space hogging boys (one of them us a hair gel freak and he is only 8. He can spend more time in the bathroom "lookin cool for the ladies" (yes I am locking him up when he is a teen) than me! We booked connecting cabins. I get my privacy and his Royal Highness gets a bathroom to share with his brother. It cost about the same as a suite. No I will not have a balconey, but I can live without that. A deck chair in my running attire with a nice cup of coffee can happen on any deck.

It's small. Your average small hotel room (a moderate Disney hotel for example) runs about 330 square feet. Ships cabins are smal. The balconey is small. You really are not in there too much. I promise.

You are going to enjoy it so much and so are your girls!

One other thing to be sure of (like you need one more thing to think about) is that your TA will work with you to get the discount if the price of your cabin goes down. On our last cruise the price fell and we were able to get the reduced price even after we had paid our final payment. Friends of ours couldn't get it because their on-line TA wouldn't do that. They even called RCI and since they were working through a TA, RCI wouldn't do it either. We were very glad we had chosen the TA that we had.

We cruised Grandeur on our second cruise and loved her.

Have a great cruise!

Does not matter anymore. If you were sailing from England to the US there used to be a saying "Posh", yes as in the term posh (someone may have said this, I did not read all the replies) it stood for Port Out Starboard Home. That was to ensure a smoother ride etc. Since you will be sailing in a circle (sort of ) your view does not matter.

Nearly right. POSH was allegedly used for voyages between the UK and the Eastern part of the British Empire (India, Malayasia etc.), and the reason was not for smoothness, but to try and have a cabin on the cooler side of the ship i.e. the north-facing side when sailing east or west. As a fair amount of time would be spent sailing north or south around Africa (no Suez Canal in those days), I'm not sure what they did - they certainly didn't have the much sought after stern cabins with oversize balconies!

Nearly right. POSH was allegedly used for voyages between the UK and the Eastern part of the British Empire (India, Malayasia etc.), and the reason was not for smoothness, but to try and have a cabin on the cooler side of the ship i.e. the north-facing side when sailing east or west. As a fair amount of time would be spent sailing north or south around Africa (no Suez Canal in those days), I'm not sure what they did - they certainly didn't have the much sought after stern cabins with oversize balconies!

Leaving England, heading South, East would be on the left or Port side of Ship. Your stateroom would have a nice sunrise, but none of hot afternoon sun.

The reverse would be true heading "home" to England, now going North.

Sure, it did not apply the whole voyage, but for a goodly portion.

Thank you all SO much for your helpful replies :)

Here is an update......

I was just going to book through RCCI but my friend wanted me to call a Travel Agency that a friend of a friend works for. I called and the TA was just telling me basically everything I have alread learned myself by reading online and she quoted me exactly the same price that I could get for booking with RCCI and she wanted to put on hold the same cabin that I could put on hold myself.

I just kind of mentioned that I wish that I could have gotten an Aft Balcony cabin because I have read about the nice sized balconies they have, etc.....

After I got off the phone with her, I figured I would just book the cruise myself with RCCI and then I could check on things (such as price, cabin availability, etc.... and change whenever I wanted).

***** BUT THEN ******

She called me back and said that she put a new cabin on hold for me and it is 7650 which is a CORNER AFT BALCONY cabin!!!!!

This is the EXACT cabin that I have seen pictures of and I was amazed at the size of the balcony. I have no idea how she was able to get it ...... It is exactly what I had wanted :)

Soooo........ I decided at that moment that I would book my cruise through her!! :)

Nliedel:

It's funny that in the example you gave you used a Moderate Disney Hotel room because up until now, Disney was my vacation obsession and we have always stayed in the Moderate Resorts there, so your post was very helpful. Cruising will NOW be our new Vacation obsession :)

We are also from Michigan.

Thank you everyone.

When we did both Celebrity and Carnival, we booked directly with them on their 1-800 numbers. We told Carnival about an e-mail offer we had from another source and while they couldn't give us a better price, they upgraded us 2 levels on the ship. We had never done a Carnival cruise and so he asked about every possible discount we could have had (ie-are we related to anyone in the cruise industry, are we military, etc.) and since we weren't he gave us some kind of discount. The cruise line shoud be able to give you the best possible rooms available for your money. Discount sites and TA's only have certain rooms available to deal with. Just my opinion. Celebrity asked if we were celebrating anything special. Our 25th anniversary. They told us then that we'd be invited to a free anniversary party.

The cruise line shoud be able to give you the best possible rooms available for your money. Discount sites and TA's only have certain rooms available to deal with.

Hi celbercrz333 .......

I had posted just a few minutes before you.

The TA was able to get us one of the top two most desirable Junior Suite cabins available on the ship, yet RCCI only showed availability in "regular" Junior Suite rooms. Maybe RCCI would have done better if I had called them on the phone?:confused: I don't know, but online they didn't offer much.

Hi celbercrz333 .......

I had posted just a few minutes before you.

The TA was able to get us one of the top two most desirable Junior Suite cabins available on the ship, yet RCCI only showed availability in "regular" Junior Suite rooms. Maybe RCCI would have done better if I had called them on the phone?:confused: I don't know, but online they didn't offer much.

I agree with your thoughts. On our upcoming cruise I could only see a few cabins on the 4th deck available for our category. While on our last cruise I went to the Loyalty Ambassador for booking our cabins, she showed ALL of them that were available. I have no idea why they only show some for our availability, the SAME ones even today!

Glad you got what you wanted!

I'll chime in from the TA angle....

The available cabins you see online with any cruise line is the best 5-7 cabins in that category as determined by their system. This is usually a computer program that places priority on midship and gives the "top handful" available starting from the midpoint out. The problem is when you are looking for an aft cabin or a cabin near an elevator and there are a handful of more midship ones available. In this case your online choices may not show the available in the location you desire.

I'll be evenhanded here and say both the cruise line reservations AND any travel agent should be able to access all of the available cabins since they are logged into the same database. The question becomes which one will be patient enough to search for exactly what you are looking for?

But the reason a TA or cruiseline direct can find cabins that you can't see online is that you are given a small sampling online, where we can open up a deckplan and manually type in cabin number to see if they are available or not. Again to be fair, the cruise line can do this as well if you ask and you find someone patient enough to search for you. You can always hang up and you'll get someone different next call :-)

Hope that helps...

Michael

Hope that helps

I'll chime in from the TA angle....

The available cabins you see online with any cruise line is the best 5-7 cabins in that category as determined by their system. This is usually a computer program that places priority on midship and gives the "top handful" available starting from the midpoint out. The problem is when you are looking for an aft cabin or a cabin near an elevator and there are a handful of more midship ones available. In this case your online choices may not show the available in the location you desire.

I'll be evenhanded here and say both the cruise line reservations AND any travel agent should be able to access all of the available cabins since they are logged into the same database. The question becomes which one will be patient enough to search for exactly what you are looking for?

But the reason a TA or cruiseline direct can find cabins that you can't see online is that you are given a small sampling online, where we can open up a deckplan and manually type in cabin number to see if they are available or not. Again to be fair, the cruise line can do this as well if you ask and you find someone patient enough to search for you. You can always hang up and you'll get someone different next call :-)

Hope that helps...

Michael

Thank you Michael. That is very interesting.... I just figured that what is shown on-line is all that is available. I figured that if you tried to check for availablility as soon as a certain sailing goes on sale that you would have a choice from ALL the cabins and then as time went on and cabins sold out the number would go down.

Thank you for that explanation. :)

Archived