RCI Transfers from Galveston

JaniceB

Pickup on 2/27 IAH to Galveston Hotel; 2:30 PM

Pickup on 3/6 Cruise Port to IAH, 10:30AM.....Flight leaves 3PM

Originally booked Galveston Express RT but AA changed flight times, 2 hrs later. Not worth the hurry or waiting at airport. Lincoln Sedan MKT. 2 of us.

Barbara

I have read about an Avis agency in Texas City, which is much closer to the port than Hobby. Avis will do one-way rentals from Hobby to Texas City. If I ever am inclined to cruise out of Galveston again, I intend to try the Texas City Avis. We would do pretty much the same as you did, except take a taxi back to the port from Texas City, but I'll bet it saves a bunch of travel time.

Glad the info helped. Please report back on your experience, plus I'd also like to know how long it takes to get to the port from the Texas City Avis, and how much the taxi charges.

Yes, that Avis rental location has been discussed on the Gulf Homeport Board concerning getting to/from that port and is just off of the Gulf Fwy, #45, only 8 miles or about 15 minutes from Galveston two cruise terminals. I've found that Avis gave us the best us the best rates when we did one way rental between Orlando airport and Cape Canaveral, both ways, for our last Octobers B2B Freedom cruises.

Since I was already on the Avis site looking for that locations address I looked up a full size one way rental to there from Hobby for Saturday to Sunday for next November and I got a prepay rate of $73 total including all taxes and fees in. The rate was just under $60 each way for our PC cruise and that wasn't prepay but I did use an Avis discount code I found online which I didn't use for the above.

I seem to recall that a taxi from that Avis location to Galveston cruise terminal was $40 was mentioned on one thread and worldtaximeter.com seems to confirm that cost without tip.

attachment.php?attachmentid=375418&d=1454622176

Considering we got two 2 nice and modern hotel rooms with breakfast and a one day full size rental for a total cost of $120 on Hotwire which allowed us to shop at a Walmart for cruise supplies it did save us, who were two couples, quite a bit even with the one person shuttle cost and gas included.

GalvestonTaxi.jpg.e851ce2a94e35f902c37e49031205435.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I forgot to add that on cruise day morning the traffic gets jammed going into the port so it's sometimes better and much quicker to get out on the Harborside Dr if being dropped off by a taxi with no luggage or even those being dropped off with luggage before one returns the rental car and to walk the short distance across Cruise Terminal 2 parking lot as the one entrance to both terminals is at the far light controlled intersection, one turns left, from the direction you come in and you must return by Terminal one to get to Terminal two which is the one RCI sails from. The luggage drop off is at the west end of terminal 2 or on the Guft Fwy side most come in from on Harborside Dr.

Edited by robtulipe

• 2 months later...
I forgot to add that on cruise day morning the traffic gets jammed going into the port so it's sometimes better and much quicker to get out on the Harborside Dr if being dropped off by a taxi with no luggage or even those being dropped off with luggage before one returns the rental car and to walk the short distance across Cruise Terminal 2 parking lot as the one entrance to both terminals is at the far light controlled intersection, one turns left, from the direction you come in and you must return by Terminal one to get to Terminal two which is the one RCI sails from. The luggage drop off is at the west end of terminal 2 or on the Guft Fwy side most come in from on Harborside Dr.

Thanks for this info.

We stopped doing cruise line transfers because the bus isn't able to leave until all passengers disembarking are on board. We do cab or private shuttle.

I have never used cruise line transfers but heard it can take a while to fill up the bus and leave. This is why I was trying to find reliable transportation for us to the port and back.