Istanbul options if cancelled due to unrest ?

umpy10

I also called NCL today and spoke with our cruise consultant. He said a decision has not yet been made to cancel Istanbul or Ephesus for the May 19th Spirit sailing. I find it very interesting reading the different perspectives on Istanbul. It is a terrible thing that happened. But it was one day out of 365. I chose this itinerary specifically for Istanbul. Unless the attacks there become a regular occurrence, I hope NCL doesn't cancel too prematurely. If they do - it will be because of lack of sales - not safety of passengers, unfortunately. That said, Croatia would be a nice alternative. No one can predict where the next suicide bombing will be - but the way they seem to operate - it is likely it won't be in the exact same spot.

Totally agree😄😄

I have been to Istanbul twice in my life: in 1971 and in 2015.

Historic city, sure.

BUT,

the place was one big dump back in 1971 and an even bigger dump in 2015. Especially if you visit off-the-beaten track places.

The only exception is their excellent and relatively cheap public transportation system which surprisingly is very clean.

Edited by rekarlu

I also called NCL today and spoke with our cruise consultant. He said a decision has not yet been made to cancel Istanbul or Ephesus for the May 19th Spirit sailing. I find it very interesting reading the different perspectives on Istanbul. It is a terrible thing that happened. But it was one day out of 365. I chose this itinerary specifically for Istanbul. Unless the attacks there become a regular occurrence, I hope NCL doesn't cancel too prematurely. If they do - it will be because of lack of sales - not safety of passengers, unfortunately. That said, Croatia would be a nice alternative. No one can predict where the next suicide bombing will be - but the way they seem to operate - it is likely it won't be in the exact same spot.

Wow

So you are willing to take the chance that it will not be a regular occurrence and you will not be at the spot where the suicide bombers will be next time ?

Hope your luck holds out.

Wow

So you are willing to take the chance that it will not be a regular occurrence and you will not be at the spot where the suicide bombers will be next time ?

I would still go if the ship took me there.

The risks of actually being directly involved in these things are minuscule. Even if you happened to be in a particular city on the day that something happened then the chances of being directly involved in it are very small.

I was in Istanbul last year, and despite spending some time in Sultanahmet square, we were never close enough to the spot where the bomber was. Even if we were there on the day that they struck then the chances of us being in that wrong place are at the levels of risk that we all accept in other areas of life.

I grew up during the time when the IRA were regularly bombing in London and it never stopped me or anyone else I knew from visiting there. Despite being a regular visitor there (and other places that have been attacked), the risk of something happening to me on the way there were much higher than the risk of being involved in a terrorist incident.

Personally, I think we have a duty to not allow these people to get any sort of victory by affecting the way we live our lives.

Of course that doesn't mean taking unreasonable risks, so if a city does become regularly subject to such things, or if there is a specific warning then that needs considering.

However, one attack on a particular city, or regular attacks on a whole continent (in fact, on the whole world) are nothing like enough to change my plans.

I would still go if the ship took me there.

The risks of actually being directly involved in these things are minuscule. Even if you happened to be in a particular city on the day that something happened then the chances of being directly involved in it are very small.

I was in Istanbul last year, and despite spending some time in Sultanahmet square, we were never close enough to the spot where the bomber was. Even if we were there on the day that they struck then the chances of us being in that wrong place are at the levels of risk that we all accept in other areas of life.

I grew up during the time when the IRA were regularly bombing in London and it never stopped me or anyone else I knew from visiting there. Despite being a regular visitor there (and other places that have been attacked), the risk of something happening to me on the way there were much higher than the risk of being involved in a terrorist incident.

Personally, I think we have a duty to not allow these people to get any sort of victory by affecting the way we live our lives.

Of course that doesn't mean taking unreasonable risks, so if a city does become regularly subject to such things, or if there is a specific warning then that needs considering.

However, one attack on a particular city, or regular attacks on a whole continent (in fact, on the whole world) are nothing like enough to change my plans.

A very good, and clear, statement about the level of personal risk.

The problem is that NCL are not prepared to take the risk of a single passenger from 2000+ being affected, no matter how low that risk....think of the effect on NCL bookings if anything even mildly foreseeable were to happen, so I fully understand and respect their position..

The problem is that NCL are not prepared to take the risk of a single passenger from 2000+ being affected, no matter how low that risk....think of the effect on NCL bookings if anything even mildly foreseeable were to happen, so I fully understand and respect their position..

Absolutely. The decision is a lot different for the people who are providing the travel.

They also have to justify their decisions to more people. I just have to justify it to myself.

In my opinion, fear is the biggest factor here. Whatever I say about actual risk, if someone is scared then they are unlikely to be reassured, and not putting themselves in these positions is important. We go on holiday to enjoy ourselves and if you spend the whole week in fear than the enjoyment will be impacted.

No amount of stats will help here, in the same way that many people won't go on a roller coaster, for example. They know that they are safe really but they won't actually enjoy the experience.

....In my opinion, fear is the biggest factor here. Whatever I say about actual risk, if someone is scared then they are unlikely to be reassured, and not putting themselves in these positions is important.....

Indeed, and the fear perception varies even between couples! We have been to Istanbul, thoroughly enjoyed our 2 ship days and an overnight post cruise, so no need to return.

We haven't been to Egypt or Israel, or through the Suez canal and would both love to do so. My DW will not go because of the current terrorist activity in that part of the globe. I would manage the miniscule personal risk (it is miniscule, as you correctly pointed out in earlier post) but cannot go because she would be fearful.

There is a fantastic Azamara repositioning from Rome I think, to Dubai via Suez with a good few stops in October this year of my 60th birthday. I have pleaded, and pointed out the risk levels, but she will not go....probably because we have 3 adult children, recently our 1st grandchild and perceiving there will be more to follow and she wants to enjoy the remaining year's that God grants to us. You and I both know that she could go on the cruise and still enjoy these pleasures, but she will not change her thinking!:(

Edited by hamrag

Being the original poster, after reading these some of these replies, I have come to the conclusion that I will not stick my head in the sand !! I will continue to go where I want, when I want. Not going to let the Thugs of this world Win, they instill fear and when you buckle to that fear you have let them defeat you.

Having said that, obviously I will only be able to go where the Carrier takes me (NCL), but will still book and travel. If NCL decides to go to Dubrovnik & Crete instead of Istanbul & Kusadasi then so be it. I stand a greater chance of getting injured in an accident with in 100 miles or less of my home than I do anywhere else in the world. The rest of you Ostriches can stay home, I'm off to see what this beautiful planet we all live in has to offer..... I'll send postcards. ;)

cheers...the Ump...:D

Being the original poster, after reading these some of these replies, I have come to the conclusion that I will not stick my head in the sand !! I will continue to go where I want, when I want. Not going to let the Thugs of this world Win, they instill fear and when you buckle to that fear you have let them defeat you.

Having said that, obviously I will only be able to go where the Carrier takes me (NCL), but will still book and travel. If NCL decides to go to Dubrovnik & Crete instead of Istanbul & Kusadasi then so be it. I stand a greater chance of getting injured in an accident with in 100 miles or less of my home than I do anywhere else in the world. The rest of you Ostriches can stay home, I'm off to see what this beautiful planet we all live in has to offer..... I'll send postcards. ;)

Good, and commendable, attitude....enjoy, wherever those travels take you!

Right there with you, looking forward to the postcards:D

Wow

Just got back from the mall. Drove 45 minutes each way. Went for dinner last night. The chances were more doing those things that I would be involved in an accident.....but I still went. Personal choice....based on tolerance and fear level for each individual. Until the cruise line removes a stop or the bombings are more than just once, I still plan on seeing Istanbul.