All things Triumph

Suenos del mar

We love the Dream, our last 3 cruises have been on her for 7 night voyages. Our little one will be 10 months old in September, so we are going to opt for the 5 night on Triumph. We sailed on her before and had a good time, but will miss a few of Dreams amenities.

So just to be clear you're choosing the 5 day because you're bringing the baby? That's why I'm sort of reluctant about the 7 day.

Edited by 247kay

So just to be clear you're choosing the 5 day because you're bringing the baby? That's why I'm sort of reluctant about the 7 day.

That's right. If I were choosing only for the ship I would pick the Dream, but we will have a great time on Triumph. Progreso will be fun, too. It's been a few yeas since we have been there. I'm sure a lot of things will be different with a baby, but we all will have a great trip.

We were on the Triumph last week, the best kept secret was during breakfast there was an omelet bar and small buffet set up in the Aft swimming pool area. Just opposite of the Pizza place. While the lines were very long in the main lido buffets, there were only a few people using the aft omelet and buffet area. We felt kind of guilty using it because we got our food right away and was sitting down enjoying our meal within minutes of arriving. Plus there are great tables along the aft window to look out over the water.

We did notice that they were setting up a lunch buffet also, but we chose other venues for lunch so we only used it for breakfast.

We were on the Triumph last week, the best kept secret was during breakfast there was an omelet bar and small buffet set up in the Aft swimming pool area. Just opposite of the Pizza place. While the lines were very long in the main lido buffets, there were only a few people using the aft omelet and buffet area. We felt kind of guilty using it because we got our food right away and was sitting down enjoying our meal within minutes of arriving. Plus there are great tables along the aft window to look out over the water.

We found this area too, but we were too busy enjoying the lack of crowds to feel any guilt.

Hello Fellow cruisers! I did a quick search of the forums for info on the Triumph and turned up very little. I noticed no "All things..." thread showed up for her so I thought I would open one. I'm sailing on her in September so any tidbits, tips, must do's, things to avoid?

I sailed her 18 years ago. It was the nicest of the 3 of that class. She had some trouble some years back, but that seems to be behind her. Pack a red bag just in case, and bring a flashlight.

We did notice that they were setting up a lunch buffet also, but we chose other venues for lunch so we only used it for breakfast.

Thank you for this info!

I was on Triumph twice in 2011 when she was in New Orleans before.

I'm thrilled that she will be back in New Orleans soon!

So far, Triumph is my favorite...after 17 Carnival cruises.

Not too big and not too small.

Following; Read some reviews recently, that weren't great. Someone mentioned a "Chops", but can't find that or any info about that. Seems it must be a mistake, is there a "Chops" on the Triumph? I would LOVE that!

I'd love to see the negative reviews you posted about. The Triumph does not have a Chops. You can see the deck plans by Google search and Cruise Critic has them deck by deck.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-triumph-deck-plans/dp/

We sailed the Triumph three times in 2015, the most recent for NYE and it was a super cruise!

Edited by BallFour4

Has anyone ordered a bottle of wine or champagne from room service once on board? Were you able to get it the first day? I know if you order from Bon Voyage ahead of time they won't deliver it until the next day (at least that's my understanding when you sail from Texas).

I don't know about ordering from room service but you are right that Bon Voyage liquor orders aren't delivered until the next day. Texas has some picky liquor laws and TABC makes sure they get their alcohol taxes. In order to sell alcohol in Texas, it must be bought in Texas and have the tax stamp or you have to pay the tax and get the stamp. This is why during the first day, the alcohol selection onboard is limited. You can get that rum and coke but may not be able to get a Bacardi and coke.

It's been awhile since I worked in a bar, but I don't remember wine and champagne having the same requirements as distilled spirits and you may be able to get them the same day. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be able to tell you for sure.

Thanks Revdoll for the tip! Any other insider info on the triumph? Secret decks? How was the mdr?

Triumph has the "secret" front decks on 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10. WE enjoyed going out there often and only ever ran into 1 or 2 other people.

Loved the food, we went in April 2015. Ate in the MDR every night. Had a great wait staff (requested Kamal every night even though we did YTD).

Kirk was our CD at the time - not sure if he's still on the Triumph or not but he was fabulous! Loved him. Enjoyed his humor a lot.

I have some pics in my Flickr album of the ship.

I don't know about ordering from room service but you are right that Bon Voyage liquor orders aren't delivered until the next day. Texas has some picky liquor laws and TABC makes sure they get their alcohol taxes. In order to sell alcohol in Texas, it must be bought in Texas and have the tax stamp or you have to pay the tax and get the stamp. This is why during the first day, the alcohol selection onboard is limited. You can get that rum and coke but may not be able to get a Bacardi and coke.

It's been awhile since I worked in a bar, but I don't remember wine and champagne having the same requirements as distilled spirits and you may be able to get them the same day. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be able to tell you for sure.

It's not the entire first day. It's only until the ship gets to international water, or about 30 min after sail away. The bars close for about 15 min to make the changeover.

I'd love to see the negative reviews you posted about."

I just found reviews of the Triumph in Cruise Critics, member reviews, shouldn't be hard to find. Mostly all very negative, except for @one. And very recent sailings. I just like to know what to expect, and am sure we will enjoy a great cruise. We aren't that picky. One review made us laugh, the title of review is "Bring your own food". Crazy, I know!!! We won't starve, I can guarantee that!

Found it interesting, and very happy to see some good reports/experiences! Getting excited, never had a bad cruise, 3 times on Carnival....

Having a balcony always makes it better, it can't be that bad, won't expect too much and make the most of the opportunity. Always like the free tea time in the dinning rooms, disappointing if that changes but it won't ruin anything!