Jewel Haven Mexican Riviera Photo Review 1/3/16

3kidsncats

Hi, love your photos and review!!!

Aww, thank you! I keep wanting to go back and look at them myself, lol

We are sailing on Jade (sister ship) in the 2 bedroom Family Haven Suite in March. There will be 6 of us as well. From the pictures I can see that the room layout is identical to what we are getting ready for. I have some questions for you if you have the time!

1. Master bath toilet has the glass door....how did you handle bathroom privacy? Is there a way to hang a towel on the glass? Now that I mention it, shower privacy as well?

Well, we are a pretty close knit, casual family, so not a lot of privacy issues between us. The BF was never in the Master bath/bedroom, so that made that easy. The window to the balcony (next to the tub) has a shade, which helps minimally. We would shut the door to the main room if using any of the bathroom facilities, so that was fine. When I took a bath, I requested no one go on the balcony -- that worked fine for us, especially as I only did that once. No, there is no way I can think of to hang a towel. My best suggestion is communication, and schedules if your family is more privacy conscious than mine.

2. I was shocked to see the walkway under your shower window! We will be in 14508, which according to your photos puts our shower right above the walkway as well?? Is there any way to make the shower safe from viewing eyes?

Sean addressed this pretty well -- but, you are not on the Jewel, so may be in luck. Some of the other Jewel Class ships have an awning added above that deck, which obscures the view to the balconies and bathrooms -- it's possible the Jade has that awning.

3. The 2nd bedroom: How did the steward make this room comfortable for everyone? How big was the lower bed? My brother in law and sister in law will be sleeping in there. I am hoping it is comfortable for the two of them...

My teens loved it -- they lounged in there all the time, so it must have been comfy enough. Egg crate was asked for, and apparently provided, so I second that recommendation of Sean's

4. We are having my twin 17 year old girls sleep in the living room area. I assume that we will need an additional cot brought in for the two of them? (one on cot, one on sofa?)

Like Sean says, I don't think that is going to work, but you can try. I know someone in the GV had cots brought in, so I know they have them. It will be a serious space crunch though. It's intended that the 6th person sleep in the pull down bunk in the second bedroom. The couch bed is pretty comfortable -- the one in our cabin had a memory foam mattress of some type -- but it is definitely only for one person. If you can get the cot, I'm going to be a little obnoxious, and suggest you tip the steward a healthy amount over for the extra hassle, especially if you don't want the cot there during the day. IT will make a LOT of extra work for them, and if they leave it during the day, it will cause real impact on your enjoyment of the space all day.

5. Is there anything you wish you had packed that would make the close quarters more comfortable to live in for a week?

Hmm, not that I can think of off hand. Some people in our roll call had those shoe organizers to drape over the door, and were happy to have them, but I didn't feel like we needed that in our cabin. But your girls may have more shoes than mine -- I have more shoes than they do, lol

6. Are there showers in the Haven courtyard that we can use if necessary (when everyone is getting ready for dinner perhaps)?

Yes, one for each gender as Sean said. I posted a picture of the doorway to it in the Courtyard section of my review. No mirror or anything like that, and can't remember if it was a curtain or a door. Also, courtyard will be closed prior to the VIP party, so don't plan on it that evening.

Now that you look back, please tell me anything that you wish you had known ahead of time (or brought) with regard to the Haven and having 6 people. I appreciate any input you will have.

Again, I don't know if I have any real tips. I think the biggest help is everyone having a good attitude. Since we only had "kids" to share with, the second bedroom was used for our 14 yo also, so her stuff was partially in there, and one suitcase in the main room for her overflow. There is a lot of space under the bed (master -- not sure about second bedroom, but most likely there as well) that you could use for suitcases. You could keep shoes/overflow items in the suitcases closest to the end of the bed and pull out as needed. A family commitment to being tidy helps -- at one point I had to remind kids to put their shoes somewhere other than the main room floor. Bring manila envelopes (1 or 2 legal size) to put all the papers, dailies, etc. Those pile up quick, and it's handy to keep them organized. The coffee pods were fine for us and the french press in Modernos was great (or any other specialty restaurant, but they don't offer it in the Courtyard) And if you are anything like us, and likely to bring the odd food plate back to the cabin, post it notes to say "don't throw away" for the steward. Our wonderful Alex was so efficient, stuff disappeared faster than we wanted at times.. Or maybe it was the butler Richard --not sure, it would just vanish, lol

Thanks for the amazing review of your vacation! Jade is a completely different itinerary...but I really enjoyed reading all of your port reviews regardless.

So glad you enjoyed, and hopefully it made you even more excited for your Haven experience! If you think of any other questions, feel free to ask

THE ROOM -

This ended up being really tough for us. Mostly because we love being around the ship and meeting other cruisers. We would have spent countless hours in spinnaker or reading in the library or playing games in the card room.

But the Haven room and area are so nice we spent most of our time there. Its really nice having the space but there was a daily internal struggle when deciding whether or not to stay in the Haven.

I completely agree -- we had the same "problem", lol. Plus, we had such an awesome group in the roll call, that if we weren't in the Haven, we were doing something with them, so this is the first cruise where I missed entire areas of the ship. But, other than only making it into the hot tub once, I have no regrets :-D

We loved the living room area. It really made the space more open. The mirrors everywhere really opened up the space.

Things we didn't like -

No separation between the toilet/shower/bath/bed in the master bedroom.

You didn't have a curtain? We were fine with that as a separation.

Also - no pushbutton latch on the master bed door. It was either locked shut or locked open. If the boat were moving enough for the door to slide back and forth it would have to be locked while someone was in the master bathroom. So I couldn't come in and change while wifely was in the shower if she locked the door.

Yep, totally agree

The phone in the master toilet was a pain. I knocked the phone off the hook every single time I used that toilet.

OMG, DH was complaining about the same thing!! I didn't have much problem with it, but I'm smaller

Shower was very shallow. Water wouldn't hit anything lower than my neck.

Same issue except that I had to stand right up next to the glass so the water would hit my neck and not the top of my head

There was dirt coming out of the horizontal airvent above the tub. It left all kinds of fine dust/dirt on the counter and tub.

There was only an outlet on one side of the bed. Not really a big deal but one of us had to plug our phone into the outlet on the bathroom counter at night. There was plenty of 110v Edison outlets throughout the suite. We didn't need a power strip.

DH must have had that side and not found it-- so we both used the bathroom outlet

Hand down the nicest cabin I've ever had on a cruise ship

Wow -- there was a lot of new staff in the Haven in just a few weeks! Port side staff were completely different, but sounds like you had some wonderful people to work with in JonJon and Jayson. I'm not remotely surprised to hear that Len made a stellar impression, and that he spoiled your kids -- as you know, we felt exactly the same. Those courtyard breakfasts are one of the best parts of being in the Haven.

Did you enjoy the cabin? I was surprised how much time we spent there, but it was a very relaxing place to be, so we made the most of it. How about the ports? I was very surprised I enjoyed them as much as I did, but my expectations were very low, lol.

Glad it seems like embarkation was the only hassle during your trip :-)

THE PORTS - Cabo San Lucas

Pulling into Cabo made for some fantastic views from the Port side of the ship.

We did a whale watch in Cabo. We got off the ship asap (about 11am) went with one of the hawkers who got all 6 of us on a crappy little boat for 180$.

We went by the arch and then took a 30 minute ride out to where every other boat was chasing whales across the bay. It was kind of comical to see 20 boats of all sizes and shapes following these beautiful creatures as they dipped up and down in the water.

At that point I was glad I didn't pay the 65/70$ for some of the other tours. All my research showed that the tours were all about 2 hours. It took about 30-45 minutes to cruise out there and spent about 30 minutes chasing whales and 30-45 minutes to come back.

Some of the boats might have been nicer but everyone sees the same thing. I was initially going to pay 400-500$ for a whale watch but we saw plenty of whales and ended up only paying 180$. Thinking about it now we probably could have got it for cheaper than that but we didn't haggle at all.

We could have jumped off the boat at lovers beach but we didn't bring swim wear (seas were pretty choppy on the ride in) and its a pretty small stretch of beach.

It also looked like there were about 200 people standing around when we went by and we decided we didn't want to stand around for an hour on the beach with nothing to do waiting for the little boat to come back.

Our boat driver was great and even detoured on the way back to catch up with a lone whale up close.

We got back to the dock about 1:30 and quickly tendered back to the ship for lunch. After that we dropped the 2 little ones back to kids club and the other 4 of us went back into Cabo to search around.

My preconception about Cabo was completely wrong. I thought it would be a neat Americanized town with some local culture and maybe a few great restaurants with some good places to walk around to.

I got the Americanized part right. But there was no local culture. It was like every "Wings" store (FL peeps know what I'm talking about) that failed in the states picked up and moved to Cabo.

It was awful. We tried to walk away from the Marina to get away from it but it was two or three streets deep.

It got better as we got further away but prices were all American dollars and more expensive than what I'd pay for this crap in the US.

If you are going to buy something make sure it says Cabo San Lucas on it because other than that you can get all of this stuff for half the price or cheaper in Mazatlan.

Restaurant prices were ridiculous. We just couldn't do it. We thought maybe an Ice Cream but it was 80 pesos for a scoop. (That's more than 5$)

Also - in Cabo they have ATMs that have Pesos and ATMs that have American dollars. Make sure you are using the right one. Also the ATM fees in Cabo were over 65 pesos/4$. We got pesos in Mazatlan with a fee of 25 pesos.

That was it for Cabo. I think the next time we head that way we would try to arrange for a day in San Jose del Cabo.

-Sean

THE PORTS - (continued)

Mazatlan

We walked "The Blue Line" in Mazatlan. Same as 3kidsncats. She did a great review of the area so Ill skip repeating. It was really nice having the Blue shirted Expats out and about.

There were not many sit down restaurants so we did street food. We asked the local Expats if there were any favorites but one couple was from NYC and the other was from San Fran so as you can imagine those are hard cities to compete with in the food arena.

We had street cart food for lunch and for desert we had some of the best Horchada we have ever tasted from right there at the market.

We felt that Mazatlan was a great way to experience real Mexico. If we went back we might head over to the Malecon by the beach on the next trip.

Puerto Vallarta -

We did the bus to the Malecon here as well. Getting the bus was easy. 3kidsncats has easy instructions to grabbing the bus and when you can see the beach a block or two away from the bus its time to get off. Great place to walk around and get your feet wet.

Huge selections of all kinds of stores and lots of places to get off the beaten path and get lost in the city.

We had lunch on the beach over in old town which was superb. It was nice to sit and relax and sip Margaritas and let the kids run in the water while we waited for food. The only annoyance was the local vendors but we actually bought a piece of art from one and highly enjoyed the covers that one married couple pulled off with a drum, guitar and pan flute.

We joked about making a vine (30 sec video) of someone sitting to eat on the beach, getting frustrated with the annoying local vendors so he starts drinking margaritas and then agrees to a foot massage and then a sombrero and by the end he is getting a tatoo and has a band serenading him and is wearing jewelry and has trinkets piled in his lap while a woman stands and fans him. If you've had the experience you'd certainly understand how this could happen.

We did hit the Wally World on the way back to the ship to burn up our last couple hundred pesos buying gifts to give along with our tips for the crew. The funny thing we noticed in Wally World was how many trinkets and shirts we saw in there selling for quite a few pesos less than the street vendors were selling the same things for.

Next time we go to PV we are definitely doing an Islas Marietas trip. We never heard of or read of anyone doing this until we got off the boat. Its a 6 hour trip so its something you have to plan to do. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this excursion.

The hardest part about leaving PV was knowing where you were headed next. I think I shed a tear as we pulled out of port.

-Sean

The FOOD -

Overall we were unimpressed with the food offerings on the Jewel. In a conversation with another cruiser we came to the conclusion that you just have to figure out which dishes are good and stick with them.

Thankful for these boards because I always see which foods people are talking about and make a list of stuff to try on board so I don't have to start from scratch and guess as to what is good.

From what I could tell the 'new' menus have not yet rolled out on the Jewel. Most of the food in the MDR was the same we saw on the menus on the STAR in June and food we have seen rehashed in Alaskan reviews.

One restaurant that was a shining star was Modernos for breakfast. Every single thing on the menu was tasty.

We loved the waffle, french toast with real marscapone, fruits de mar and eggs benedict.

By day three in Modernos we were making our own breakfast dishes by ordering steak with no eggs and the fruits de mar with no brioche. Then we would have steak with lobster and scallops with the Choron sauce and poached eggs. It was fantastic. We would get the waffle with the marscapone and fruit. So yummy. And my wife and daughter ate salmon to their hearts delight.

Lunches in Modernos were just okay. We shopped around for lunch each day including a few trips to the buffet and MDR.

We ate at Modernos one night and that was meh. Sad as it was one of our favorites on the STAR. Salad bar didn't seem fresh. The cervice tasted like it was turning bad. Meats (not all) were mostly rare and fatty.

Teppanyaki was good but they had all 4 tables start at the same time and the noise was overwhelming. They should alternate to keep the noise down. It was so loud I had a hard time hearing what the cook was saying.

Here were the top 5 winners for us -

1. Shrimp Burger on a very soft (so delish) pretzel roll. This is only served in the MDR for lunch on Monday. Put it on your calendar. Its a must try.

2. Steak for breakfast from Modernos. Each time we were served a filet mignon. It was the same petite filet they serve in Cagneys.

3. Fruits de Mar for breakfast from Modernos. The Choron sauce is fabulous compliment to the lobster and scallops.

4. Chicken Cordon Bleu (one nighter) from Osheehans. Nicely cooked and a tasty sauce. Order with extra sauce. Sides were meh....

5. Crepes - these are really good and its a shame they don't serve them for breakfast (only after 6 or 7pm at the buffet). They also did not have Nutella. So pack a small jar for yourself to bring along.

Honorable Mentions - Chicken pot pie, Chocolate lava cake, teppanyaki, grilled pineapple from modernos, Beef Tenderloin (last night main dining room). Also as previously mentioned - the head chef is Indian so the Indian dishes on the buffet were done really well. Very tasty.

One thing that killed my appetite for this cruise was those darn M&M's and Gummy bears. We had a bowl of each in the suite at all times. I couldn't stop eating them and as soon as the bowl was empty another bowl would magically appear.

-Sean

For those with kids - all of our kids really enjoyed the kids club. I think more from the friends that they made more so than the programming itself. Rose from the teens club was the kids favorite counsellor. They each spent more than 4 hours a day on sea days hanging out in the kids club.

We really enjoyed our trip. And the Haven made the experience on the JEWEL much more enjoyable.

Walking right out the door to the hot tub or to relax with a book by the quiet pool by yourself is something you can quickly get used to.

On all our trips we have met wonderful people. On this trip the family right next door had a teen the same age as our two oldest and they hung out quite a bit and we got to know them throughout the week.

Also, there was another full time traveling family on this ship besides us that we got to meet and swap stories with. Their daughter and our youngest daughter were glued at the hip all week.

I will say that the people you meet on a cruise really help to give it that amazing experience and this one was no different. We really enjoyed the other families we met and hope to see them again as we travel down the road.

Here are some tips that came in handy for us -

1. Download the iconcierge app before you get on the ship. Its a really great app and helped us manage our time with schedules and our account spending.

2. Use your phones camera for more than pictures! Take a picture of your luggage before you check it. Take a picture of the port agents contact information on the freestyle daily before you get off the ship. Take a picture of the taxi rates at the port before you leave so you know that your not being ripped off by the cab driver on the ride back. Take a picture of the town map as you get off the ship. Take pictures of street signs landmarks and buildings as you walk around so three margaritas later you can remember where you last turned into that bar.

3. If you like making hot and fun drinks (we do!) Bring some chocolate and caramel and you can make your own flavored lattes with the lavazza machine. I brought some Starbucks hot chocolate and Wifey brought some teas and some instant hot chai latte mix. We had fun steaming milk and making drinks with the lavazza machine.

For all future cruisers on the Jewel - Have fun! Its a great ship with a fantastic crew. And if your in the Haven you'll love it. Its not something we would do every time but you gotta try it at least once.

-Sean

Maybe I was dreaming-----Does NCL now frown on having cabin crawls which include Haven suites? I think I was having another senior moment....

That's a good question. We had other people up to our cabin and even hung out in the Haven pool area with them and no one ever mentioned anything about it. Also - 3kidsandcats mentioned having people from their meet and greet up to their suite for a cabin crawl as well as getting to see a garden villa.

I could see it being a problem if you have 25 or more people in your cabin crawl. Would probably be best to ask the butler first and if it was a large group maybe break it up into smaller groups.

-Sean

It'll be a busy year for us and we don't have another cruise booked yet. So I might fade away for a bit....but Ill leave you all with this. Its my one favorite pic from the week and then I'm done.

e3eeb5508ac998579a12a74e86fcc58c.jpg

I hope to see some more people report in as they get back from the next trip...

Maybe I was dreaming-----Does NCL now frown on having cabin crawls which include Haven suites? I think I was having another senior moment....

I didn't have that impression at all. I mentioned it to Richard, our butler, and he brought in snacks for us to serve during the cabin crawl. I asked in advance if I could do a brief tour of the Haven public areas, indicating with that request that it would be quick and respectful, so as not to disturb the other guests. Approval was immedialtely given. We did have 3 Haven cabins participating in the crawl, so that may have helped.

I didn't have that impression at all. I mentioned it to Richard, our butler, and he brought in snacks for us to serve during the cabin crawl. I asked in advance if I could do a brief tour of the Haven public areas, indicating with that request that it would be quick and respectful, so as not to disturb the other guests. Approval was immedialtely given. We did have 3 Haven cabins participating in the crawl, so that may have helped.

Thanks to you and Sean for your responses. Our cabin crawl is going to be small but I will check and get some kind of approval beforehand....

Thanks to you and Sean for your responses. Our cabin crawl is going to be small but I will check and get some kind of approval beforehand....

Take pictures!! And we started with a drink before ours, at the Latitudes party -- it really helped get the crawl off nicely :-)

• 4 weeks later...

This was a great review 3kidsncats. I loved loved loved all the pictures. I can't believe this was 2 months ago. Just wanted to add that Jennifer was our butler and she was magnificent. She made the trip for my parents. It became too difficult to get through dinner in the restaurants with our group of 16 so the last two nights we ordered in from Le Bistro and Cagney's. Jennifer did a way better job getting us our food hot and at the same time than they did when we were at the restaurants. She was super attentive and personable. I was disappointed in the concierge, Joaquin. We started off on a bad foot when he didn't get a wheelchair for my mother for over an hour and a half when boarding. We rarely saw him after that. This was a trip of a lifetime for our family. Great memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your detailed review. As you will see by my signature of I have done the Mexican Riviera many times. This will be my first Norwegian Cruise so I am looking forward to something new. Did you have the UBP? If so was there anywhere it wasn't honored. I am asking because I thought I saw mention of that somewhere, but can't recall where I saw it. Your pictures are fantastic. Your Suite looks amazing. We are in an inside cabin, but I am so happy to be going I would sleep outside all week. Thanks again for your input.

Candi

Thank you so much for your detailed review. As you will see by my signature of I have done the Mexican Riviera many times. This will be my first Norwegian Cruise so I am looking forward to something new. Did you have the UBP? If so was there anywhere it wasn't honored. I am asking because I thought I saw mention of that somewhere, but can't recall where I saw it. Your pictures are fantastic. Your Suite looks amazing. We are in an inside cabin, but I am so happy to be going I would sleep outside all week. Thanks again for your input.

Candi

We had no problem using our UBP anywhere on the ship. It's not valid for certain things -- bottles of wine, bucket of beer, certain daily specials/souvenir glasses, specialty coffee and bottled water. It was super easy to use, and a is a fun way to try all kinds of things you might not otherwise order.

Glad you enjoyed the review and photos -- it was a lot of fun to do. I'm ready to start planning the next one, but will probably be in a much lower category cabin. You can have a phenomenal time, either way ;-)

• 1 year later...

We are headed out on the Jewel on Sunday - and were able to upgrade to an H4 Haven suite. We are so excited. A few questions:

How do you contact your concierge in advance to make a request?

Should I cancel my order of bottled water? Not sure if Haven has this avaiable - or if we still need to order it.

I'm confused about which restaurants have special dining for Haven guests for breakfast and lunch... or is it just in the courtyard?

Is room service included in Haven?

Also, this one I can check myself, but haven't had time to look because I was spending so much time reading this fabulous review! How far is the kids club from the Haven deck 14?

Boy are we excited!

He will give you his card. You call him directly. You will have a phone in your stateroom, and a portable ship phone (hopefully these are still there -- very useful). If you are referring to the contacting the concierge prior to boarding, you can email them at NorwegianConciergeDesk@ncl.com - be sure to include your reservation number, ship name, and sail date when contacting them.

I *think* you only receive one complimentary bottle of water with H4.

Haven breakfast/lunch is served in Moderno, deck 13, mid.

Room service, yes.

I stay as far away from the kids club as possible. But it's down on deck 12, mid, off the pool deck.

We are headed out on the Jewel on Sunday - and were able to upgrade to an H4 Haven suite. We are so excited. A few questions:

How do you contact your concierge in advance to make a request? You can probably find the email address for the pre-concierge in one of the threads here, sorry I don't have it. But if reading here is any judge, it's a 50/50 proposition whether requests will be handled. Our pre-email requests weren't, but our Butler/Concierge took care of everything we asked for on the first day, so we were happy. Others say they've had everything handled.

Should I cancel my order of bottled water? Not sure if Haven has this avaiable - or if we still need to order it. We pre-ordered a case of water and ended up not drinking them all. Bottled water doesn't come with the Haven (I believe just owner's suites and garden villa) but you can have your Butler keep ice water full in your room and it was always available in the courtyard.

I'm confused about which restaurants have special dining for Haven guests for breakfast and lunch... or is it just in the courtyard? Breakfast/lunch for Haven was in Moderno for us on the Jewel. But you can order anything off the menu in the courtyard as well.

Is room service included in Haven? Absolutely!

Also, this one I can check myself, but haven't had time to look because I was spending so much time reading this fabulous review! How far is the kids club from the Haven deck 14? Sorry, no help here as we didn't have kids with us.

Boy are we excited!

Hope this helps a little, enjoy your cruise!

• 8 months later...
A couple of good splashes after the breaches:

24390469041_775f643b5a_c.jpg

24389236735_1810a30e35_z.jpg

Coming into the harbor:

24364608702_3245400e27_c.jpg

24177350180_2655a94471_c.jpg

24105153059_1fc2a79011_c.jpg

That's it for me for now.

Love these pictures. We'll be there early March and are hoping for some good whale watching out of Cabo. A big boat like this is what I would prefer. Thanks for sharing these awesome pics. I'm excited now. We've done a lot of whale watching and it never gets old.

Thank you for those that answered the questions I didn't see -- after the CC overhaul last year, I stopped getting notices that anyone had commented on a thread I was subscribed to. Suddenly, the notices are back

And so happy to hear that people are still enjoying and getting info they need from the review. My last cruise, and upcoming cruise are on Princess -- I'm seriously bummed the Jewel isn't doing the MR itineraries anymore. For our upcoming cruise in 2018, a vow renewal to celebrate our 25th anniversary (a little early to for scheduling reasons) we have booked the Owners Suite on the Ruby Princess (about half the cost of the Haven Family Suite) and I will be doing a review for that --will add it to my signature for anyone interested. NCL pricing has gotten a bit steep -- although I still have the Garden Villa on my bucket list