$50 Beverage Cards

CherryG

Had them on our last cruise. Worked fine. Beware that HAL might combine them on a single card which is a pain to share if you are in two separate locations on the ship.

On the last evening of the cruise, I used the remaining $$ to purchase some flashing-LED glasses to get down the balance to 10 cents.

Edited by Crew News

I prefer to use them, choosing the denomination based on the length of the cruise. There's no financial advantage to purchasing a beverage card, but using one makes it easier to proof out your final bill at the end of the cruise. There will only be the one charge for the purchase of the card, if you buy it on board. Since you bought it in advance, you won't even have that charge!

We bought 2 of them for our Dec cruise. We ended up not using them. I took them back to the front desk and they put the $100.00 as a credit back on our account.

I know...you did not use them...we had bought a bottle through room service to enjoy on the balcony. When we got the the cards on embarkation day, they got put aside and kind of forgotten about. One would of thought when we went to happy hour in the crow's nest we would of remembered. So the $100.00 credit from turning them in covered the bar bill. We still chuckle about it.

When you pre-purchase the cards, they come with your names on them.

We prefer to purchase them once we are on the ship. We usually get the $250 cards since we do not do any cruises less than 14 days. One can use them up pretty quickly. You can use them to even buy bottled water, bottles of wine. The 15% gratuity is also subtracted from the cards.

We like the cards -- like Ruth said -- to cut back on the number of receipts that I don't have to check at the end of the cruise. Once I get the newest receipt back, I just throw out the old one.

Is this sort of like purchasing a gift card? Like you use it on any beverage, but there is no discount? They just deduct it from the amount on the card after each use?

A gift card. That just about sums it up.

Had them on our last cruise. Worked fine. Beware that HAL might combine them on a single card which is a pain to share if you are in two separate locations on the ship..

I'm sure a "Oops, we wanted two cards and you gave us one. Could we have 2 please?" would work wonders for that situation.

We each had a $250 card on the last cruise, and as DH usually "treats", mine was almost full at the end. It was automatically used as a credit on our shipboard account at the end of the cruise.

One good thing about buying them before the cruise, is that they are waiting for you in your stateroom at the start of the cruise, and they have your name on them. (In case you lose it!) If you buy it on board it won't have your name on it, I have been told.