surge protected outlet on Escape

Wetescape2016

I know that Norwegian allows power bars, but I have read mixed information about being able to bring a surge protected power bar.

I have a wall mount 3 outlet surge protector that I was going to bring but wondering if I should change to something without a surge protector?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

This is almost identical to the one I have

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0016IXEWG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=027YX5FHH8GRFMQ91KJ4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2055621962&pf_rd_i=desktop

Older ships had problems with surge protectors. They would trip the ship's circuit breakers. We carry a plain power strip.

The Escape has 3 US and 1 European socket on the desktop in standard rooms.

f9f031b98e06cfdf4fe7a53233a02498.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

Should not be a problem on any cruise ship.

Adding a power strip with or without surge protection does not nullify the

ships electrical service. If the surge strip has its own circuit breaker all the

better in that the electric flow will be curtailed right at the surge strip rather

than further upstream at a maintenance cabinet in the passageway outside

your cabin door requiring the ships electrician or other qualified person to

reset the circuit breaker.

Bear in mind you are not supposed to bring hair dryers or irons onboard.

These items have an excessive current draw and will most likely trip a circuit

breaker. Small electronics i.e. battery chargers laptops tablets kindles photo

charging equipment all together will not trip the circuit breakers unless they

have a defect. Electric shavers toothbrushes same thing no problem here

although avoid high draw current devices in the cabins bathroom - the circuit

breakers (ground fault design) in this area are normally very sensitive to

prevent electric shock !

Any doubts or concern check with your cabin steward for starters.

If you use a loaner iron and ironing board from NCL ask which outlet is safe

to use to prevent any inconvenience of electric service interruption !

HINT CLUE - the outlet that the Cabin Steward uses to plug the vacuum in

is the one that will be the one of choice for heavy current draw !

Have medical equipment requiring an outlet the same one for the vacuum is

the recommended source.

I know that Norwegian allows power bars, but I have read mixed information about being able to bring a surge protected power bar.

I have a wall mount 3 outlet surge protector that I was going to bring but wondering if I should change to something without a surge protector?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0016IXEWG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=027YX5FHH8GRFMQ91KJ4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2055621962&pf_rd_i=desktop

Surge suppressors are not needed onboard ships, and actually can cause serious damage or incidents. Here is a post from a thread where one CC member researched for me the details of what I have been saying for years, since the USCG Safety Notice came out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

Long and short of it is, when using a surge suppressor onboard a ship, you are subjecting it to long term low voltage reversals, which can damage the semi-conductors in the surge suppressor, and cause a fire.

Here is the USCG Safety Notice about surge suppressors:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJxO6N66vKAhWF4iYKHTj0DjkQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw

It takes a bit of time to find them, but there are multi-outlets similar to the Belkin that are not surge suppressors, and ones that have USB charging ports as well.

Many people will say that they have used surge suppressors many times onboard with no problem (and the Belkin type pass security more often because it doesn't look like a power strip), but it is important to note the repetitive damage and shortened life of surge suppressors noted in CaveDiving's post.

It is not "older" ships that had problems with surge suppressors, all ships are wired the same, with a "floating" ground different from residential electrical service, which is why the surge suppressors don't work.

Should not be a problem on any cruise ship.

Adding a power strip with or without surge protection does not nullify the

ships electrical service. If the surge strip has its own circuit breaker all the

better in that the electric flow will be curtailed right at the surge strip rather

than further upstream at a maintenance cabinet in the passageway outside

your cabin door requiring the ships electrician or other qualified person to

reset the circuit breaker.

Bear in mind you are not supposed to bring hair dryers or irons onboard.

These items have an excessive current draw and will most likely trip a circuit

breaker. Small electronics i.e. battery chargers laptops tablets kindles photo

charging equipment all together will not trip the circuit breakers unless they

have a defect. Electric shavers toothbrushes same thing no problem here

although avoid high draw current devices in the cabins bathroom - the circuit

breakers (ground fault design) in this area are normally very sensitive to

prevent electric shock !

Any doubts or concern check with your cabin steward for starters.

If you use a loaner iron and ironing board from NCL ask which outlet is safe

to use to prevent any inconvenience of electric service interruption !

Have medical equipment requiring an outlet the same one for the vacuum is

the recommended source.

As noted in CaveDiving's post that I quote above, the circuit breaker on a power strip is not the "thermal interrupter" required to protect a surge suppressor. But even with a power strip that is not surge protected, the circuit breaker on it will only open the "hot" lead. Residential wiring has the "neutral" lead at the same potential as the ground lead, so there is no danger of shock after the breaker opens. Shipboard wiring has two hot leads, at voltages above ground, so shipboard (made in Europe for 220v use) have circuit breakers that open both conductors.

I bring that all the time. There is never an issue with it.

Does anyone know which one this is or is it in the hallway? I must have my own hair dryer and last time on the Escape I blew the circuit. I am hoping to avoid that problem. I was thinking the surge protector outlet might help but I guess I am wrong in assuming that.

Does anyone know which one this is or is it in the hallway? I must have my own hair dryer and last time on the Escape I blew the circuit. I am hoping to avoid that problem. I was thinking the surge protector outlet might help but I guess I am wrong in assuming that.

The only thing a surge protector does is protect the appliance that is plugged in from over voltage caused by things like power surges or lightning. Circuit breakers trip due to over current caused by high wattage appliances.

There is no "magic" outlet. The vacuum cleaners used onboard are 220v, so they use the 220v circuit, which usually has less current draw on it, and because it is 220v, it draws half the current that it would on 110v. If your hair dryer has a "power brick" on it, it will generally say "input voltage 100-240vac", which means that with a proper plug adapter (merely to change the pin configuration, not a surge protector) you can plug it into the 220v outlet, and it will draw half the current for the same wattage, and the 220v circuit usually only has small draw electronics on it, so you most likely won't blow the breaker. The same goes for the iron. Every one I've seen is 220v onboard.

Ah ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

So you are recommending I get the 220v to 110v plug adapter and use that with my hair dryer? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MSTG93S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09 Truthfully this could be useful for multiple situations so maybe a handy item to have on hand, plus we do a lot of cruises.

Edited by Kdiamond55

I highly recommend this baby, and it is NOT a surge protector, simply a highly compact power strip of good quality.

Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip - 4 AC Outlets - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_XvvMwbQKZE4JY

hey that was a great idea. i have been taking those heavy long ones. i ordered one. thanks

Ah ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

So you are recommending I get the 220v to 110v plug adapter and use that with my hair dryer? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MSTG93S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09 Truthfully this could be useful for multiple situations so maybe a handy item to have on hand, plus we do a lot of cruises.

If your hair dryer is 110v only (many are dual voltage) then you would need something like this, but this has a surge suppressor, so not recommended. This would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-Conair-Converter-Adapter/dp/B007HJI6KS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452892910&sr=1-1&keywords=travel+voltage+converter+for+hair+dryer

If your hair dryer says "100-240vac" input power, all you need is a plug adapter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/6PKSCHUKO-Grounded-American-European-Adapter/dp/B0038L54ZO/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452894828&sr=1-17&keywords=plug+adapter

Not that you'd need a six-pack of them, but this is the idea.

Are there any 110 outlets buy the bed? We like to bring 2 fans to put on the nightstands

In a balcony, there are three US outlets on the desk across the bed.

However, the bedside lights (on both sides of the bed) has a USB ports which could be used for USB mini fans.

This is the device I have put together - thumbnail photo image :

Take an electrical cord (3 wire grounded) and shorten it to about a foot or more.

Then take a (triplex) electrical outlet and put in on the end.

I now have sufficent cord to get out of the way of other items in the vicinity of

the cabin desk outlet be it on a desk or somewhere else.

Then with three outlets you should have more than enough to plug in anything

you brought with you - laptop - photo charging eq. etc.

Note with this I do not have the circuit breaker protection - relying on the ships

breakers.

With small electronics should never be a problem anyway.

I also carry another triplex outlet to go elsewhere in the cabin if necessary.

DSC04126B.jpg.33862bf1f9244f83048e646692ce3b9f.jpg