Which ship to choose I am going bonkers!

WanderingDust

Back in the late 1990's I worked on HAL and P&O I was very lucky to have the Alaska cruises between May and Sept on the Statendaam.

It's been a good few years and whilst I remember how utterly amazing Alaska was I obviously never experienced it the same way as a passenger and the memories are a little hazy.

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in July and I cannot decide between Princess, RCL, Celebrity, HAL or Crystal. Itinerary we also can't decide on.

We're thinking of cruising one way getting off in Seward or Anchorage and then doing a few days on our own. However we will be coming from the UK and tickets are stupid expensive for single fares so we will also consider roundtrip although I feel we should really see more of Alaska than the ship can provide.

As far as ships go, looking for the following;

Fairly quiet we are not fussed about the shows.

We would prefer a more casual dress code, obviously formal nights don't count. I was wondering if the Crystal Serenity expected it's guests to be casual chic most of the time around the ship rather than say jeans and a t shirt or light sweater.

The room, my husband is 6ft 4 I'm now wondering looking at some of the beds if he'll be hanging off the end! We are looking at a balcony room but I wonder how cold it will be whilst sailing and will we get the most out of it.

The more I research the more I find out and the less I know! perhaps those that have cruised often can give some useful insight.

Thank you and sorry for rambling!

We are doing Alaska this May on Celebrity's ship Millennium - one of it's older (but VERY nicely updated) smaller ships. It goes 1 way out of Vancouver - through the inside passage and ends in Seward.

My thinking if you are coming that far - you need to really experience all that Alaska has to offer, round trips just can't offer that. I'd pinch the pennies to make a one way with a land tour work for you.

Certainly Crystal would be the most expensive - and as this is about the ports and not as much the ship - put that savings towards the one way air fare. I will say that Celebrity has done away with Formal nights - now having what it calls "Chic" which can be anything from a tux and gown to designer type jeans and a sparkly top. Casual during the day, especially in Alaska.

I cannot imagine cruising Alaska in an inside cabin, get an ocean view at the very least. It is all about the view and with longer day light - there will be lots to see from the cabin or balcony.

I cannot comment on the other lines - Princess is very well known for it's Alaska cruises but we have heard excellent reviews for Celebrity and we appreciate that there is generally not tons of children - of course this varies upon the time of the year.

Good luck choosing - let us know!

Are you able to book your air using multi city like we can in the US? For example into Anchorage and out of Vancouver or the reverse? I have done that with great success and the prices aren't much more than R/T from Seattle.

I would recommend a one way trip either north or south - or a R/T Vancouver if you do not have time for a land tip on either end.

The southbound itinerary on Princess is the best in my opinion if a one way trip works for you. Good luck choosing!

You might try reading a copy of Frommer's Easy Guide to Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call. It has a large section talking about the different cruise lines, the ships, what to expect on board, etc. It also gives information on the ports of call which might help you decide. It helps compare similarities and differences side-by-side.

I felt very overwhelmed when I first started researching, and deciding the itinerary and cruise line were my first big decisions. I also read a ton of trip reviews here on CC. The pictures provided and the write ups help tremendously.

I will say that in all of my research I don't recall seeing anything about bed lengths. I believe most cruise lines use a general term like queen bed that can be two twins. you might have to ask on the cruise line boards to see responses from other tall travelers if they had any problem fitting on the bed.

Hi Wandering,

I'm writing because I was in your exact situation for a few weeks. I was going crazy over trying to decide which ship to take and I was sure that I wanted round trip from Vancouver. After much research and agony we finally booked on Celebrity Mille. going out of Vancouver and ending in Seward in May. We'll spend a little more to fly from anchorage, but it will be worth it. We get to see more of Alaska. I figured, I'll save at home and put a bit more into the vacation budget. We're very excited about the train ride that goes from Seward to Anchorage. It is supposed to be beautiful.

From everything I read Celebrity seemed like the best fit. I wanted a great experience and I think we'll get that on this ship.

Good luck selecting!

Edited by scorchestra

Welcome to Cruise Critic! It seems that everyone is overwhelmed by their first cruise to Alaska. Not so long ago I was wondering how I'd sift through all the information and ever make a decision. And would it be the right ones for such an expensive trip? Just persevere, keep reading, and before you know it, you'll be on your way.

We've now done 2 trips to Alaska. Both on Princess. These were my only cruises. The first was a one-way southbound cruise tour with the land tour first. The second was a round trip out of Seattle, again with a land tour (this time on our own) first.

One-way is best for tacking on a few days on the land, especially if you don't want the hassle of extra flights.

Are you interested in seeing Denali National Park? If not, then first investigate where you want to go on the land. There is lots to see in Anchorage and the nearby area, as well as in Seward. But once you have a handle on that, it may clarify your cruise needs.

The ports don't vary a lot. There are only so many that each cruise line visits. Whether or not you go to Glacier Bay National Park or Tracy Arm Fjord or Hubbard Glacier, etc. might help you decide on a cruise itinerary.

Alaska cruises are casual. No worries there. I don't wear jeans because they are bulky to pack and don't dry well, and Alaska can be wet. Very wet.

Itinerary we also can't decide on.

Thank you and sorry for rambling!

My advice is to figure this out first. (& time of the season.)

Want to see Glacier Bay?

On my first AK cruise, I had to see Glacier Bay. We chose HAL's Volendam & were very satisfied. (smaller ship, atmosphere, & round trip instead of 1-way)

Our next AK cruise will be on HAL's Amsterdam (we sail on other lines - choices made based on itinerary) in late July/early August because I want to see the salmon spawning & bears. (14-nights because I prefer longer sailings & again this is a smaller ship.)

Honestly in AK several of the other lines were not on our radar, but I know other people who have enjoyed their AK cruises on those lines.

re: clothing on Crystal - ask on their board... As far as AK goes, I'm going more for warmth that chic casual & as far as "my" vacation goes, I'm going more for comfort. ;)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

I cannot imagine cruising Alaska in an inside cabin, get an ocean view at the very least. It is all about the view and with longer day light - there will be lots to see from the cabin or balcony.

Just a differing point of view - we had an inside & were satisfied. We saw everything from the public spaces. When we were in our cabin it was to sleep/shower & get dressed. YMMV

Thank you all so much for your responses, I am also looking now at possibly taking the Rocky Mountaineer then a cruise. However taking a Princess cruise 1 way and seeing other places in Alaska also really appeal.

I will look for the Frommers book and get reading, the CC reviews have so far put me off the Volendam and the Infinity so at least I am narrowing it down!

Really really appreciate all your input, very helpful.

For AK, the ship should be the least important part of your cruise selection choice. They should be in approximate order of importance -

1 - one way north or south versus round trip - I prefer one way so I can have DIY land time in AK

2 - trip length - 7 day versus 14 day on the ship - I prefer 14 day and there are a few 14 day cruises in AK

3 - itinerary - what ports does the ship stop at - does it go to Glacier Bay and preferably both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier as these are both wonderful glaciers

4 - port times - consider both arrival and departure times in addition to the total time in port

5 - ship size - I like smaller ships - in fact, the best AK cruise I ever took was on a ship that held 50 people

6 - the actual ship - not that this is the last item on my selection list.

Hope this helps.

DON

We are also from the UK and are doing our first Alaska cruise this July. We were very limited on dates, due to work. Also wanted to do Rocky Mountaineer and spend some time in Vancouver. We had the choice between Princess Northbound and Celebrity Infinity round trip.

We have cruised once before, Norwegian Fjords on Celebrity Infinity. Would have been very happy to sail on Infinity again, but in the end decided we wanted Glacier Bay and would prefer one way to RT.

We fly into Calgary, take the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver, spend some time in Vancouver then cruise on the Star Princess. After cruise probably a day around Anchorage (that's all the spare time we have) before flying home from Anchorage.

Still busy planning! Have booked cruise and Rocky Mountaineer, just finalising flights.

Let us know what you decide.

Have cruises in inside, OV, balcony and mini suites and unless I find a bargain price on something more close to final payment - I always book inside cabins. Never got any value from the balcony as I am always running up top to see 360 degree views. The one OV cabin I had didn't provide enough of a view either and I never spent time just looking at the window.

So consider all of your options and make the trip about what you want - including the ports. My money is spent on excursions and I don't want to skimp there ;)

I feel your pain! We have been trying to work out an itinerary for Alaska and we decided early on that Glacier Bay is a must, so that narrowed it down re cruise lines to HAL and Princess for us. We will take an inside since the best viewing will be from the open decks and money saved will be spent on the best excursions. HAL have an interesting itinerary which includes Homer and Kodiak, which we are seriously considering but if you want a balcony they are sold out on the July/Aug sailing. We have decided against Rocky a Mountaineer and are renting a car in Calgary then doing a weeks self drive to Vancouver

We are also from the UK and are doing our first Alaska cruise this July. We were very limited on dates, due to work. Also wanted to do Rocky Mountaineer and spend some time in Vancouver. We had the choice between Princess Northbound and Celebrity Infinity round trip.

We have cruised once before, Norwegian Fjords on Celebrity Infinity. Would have been very happy to sail on Infinity again, but in the end decided we wanted Glacier Bay and would prefer one way to RT.

We fly into Calgary, take the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver, spend some time in Vancouver then cruise on the Star Princess. After cruise probably a day around Anchorage (that's all the spare time we have) before flying home from Anchorage.

Still busy planning! Have booked cruise and Rocky Mountaineer, just finalising flights.

Let us know what you decide.

Sounds very similar to what we have in mind, may I ask who you're booking your trip through?

Sounds very similar to what we have in mind, may I ask who you're booking your trip through?

We're doing it all ourselves.

Cruise booked direct with Princess (no offers but only £50 deposit till end Feb).

Rocky Mountaineer direct as well.

We were thinking of flights through Princess but since we are arriving a week before the cruise and not leaving till the day after we disembark, we reckoned it was going to be OK. We can get a good rate on the flights elsewhere and insurance is sorted.

If you are not limited by time you can cruise northbound from Vancouver then stay in Alaska as long as you desire. Then cruise southbound to Vancouver. Thus you can have rt airfare, more cruising time and time for a land based experience in Alaska.

I also recommend a one way cruise with Vancouver as your embarkation or debarkation. The cruises that go from other ports, such as Seattle or San Francisco, traverse west of Vancouver Island thus missing a lot of great scenery between the island and the mainland.

As you consider what to do in Alaska pre/post cruise, decide your priorities. What interests you? Wilderness? Sea life (whales, otters, puffins, etc.)? Land mammals (Denali National Park would be the place for this)?

For glaciers during your cruise, there is Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier as you have a better chance experiencing glacier calving . I wouldn't recommend Tracy Arm as a substitute. Tracy Arm is better up close on a small boat, not a cruise ship.

Seward is a wonderful location to take an excursion by boat to experience both marine life and glaciers. The town is a wonderful place to stay, as well. Their sea life center has puffins and other marine life as well.

The Alaska RR route between is Seward and Anchorage is their most scenic route.