Flying in to JFK

Desert_ Dweller

Caution, there are three Air Trains, the inner loop (clockwise) that just goes to the terminals and then two trains on the outer or counter clockwise. One goes to Jamaica and the other goes to the long term parking lots and the NYC Transit "A" train.

Just check the automatic signs for the Jamaica trains, train will travel in terminal ascending order. Cost is $5 per person PLUS $1 fee if you do not have a Metrocard. You can use one Metrocard for two people so $11 one way.

Exit AirTrain walk straight ahead to the overapass over the LIRR platforms. There are 3 ticket machines on this platform so you do not have to go down to the ticket office. Trains to Penn Station (Non-rush hours) leave from Track 2 most of the times (sometimes 1) check the station displays.

Oct. 12 is a weekday so your one way off peak fare is $7.25 per person, make sure you buy a ticket BEFORE you board the train. On board fare is $13!!

There are elevators to the platform but they are at the rear of the train and even not where the train platforms. Walk forward if you use the elevator to ensure you are by a car that is open.

FWIW

I'm pretty sure all of this help will be beneficial to others visiting your city, coming in thru JFK.

The idea of the hoho bus certainly sounds appealing too. Thank you for the suggestion !

Now, if I can just follow your directions.:confused: What's the worse that can happen ? Someone will turn us around and point us in the right direction...right? Or there is the yellow taxi and if all else fails... do you have the Blue Van (Super Shuttle)?

If, for whatever reason we don't do the train/subway thing the night we arrive, it's something I want to experience while I'm there. So from Times Square... would I go to Penn Station ? (I have no Idea where I'll go, I just want to be able to say I was on a subway in NYC.)

I'm pretty sure all of this help will be beneficial to others visiting your city, coming in thru JFK.

The idea of the hoho bus certainly sounds appealing too. Thank you for the suggestion !

Now, if I can just follow your directions.:confused: What's the worse that can happen ? Someone will turn us around and point us in the right direction...right? Or there is the yellow taxi and if all else fails... do you have the Blue Van (Super Shuttle)?

If, for whatever reason we don't do the train/subway thing the night we arrive, it's something I want to experience while I'm there. So from Times Square... would I go to Penn Station ? (I have no Idea where I'll go, I just want to be able to say I was on a subway in NYC.)

There are subway stations all over the city - it's an alternate to walking or buses.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

I can't really recommend hotels at JFK because I'm not too familiar with New York, but we did a cruise in late September, and I finally opted for a car service. I was encouraged to use a taxi by several people, but I used Dial 7 and it ended up being one of the best choices I made. We were truly "newbies" to the city, and I just didn't want a small cash savings to spoil the first part of our visit. The car service was efficient and was only about $5 more than a cab with the online coupon. We were investing a good bit in this vacation, and it was worth $5 more to make transfer from JFK to the city easier. It was so nice to get off the plane, secure luggage, and call the operator. She gave specific directions for where to meet our car, and we located our driver with no problems. His car had an identification number clearly posted on the side, and he already had our destination programmed into his GPS system based on my reservation. He verified everything with me before we left the airport, and there were no surprises with rate, etc. He was polite, loaded our luggage quickly, and took us to our hotel. We sat back and enjoyed seeing the skyline of the city for the first time. Our flight landed at 8:20 A.M., and we collected luggage and were at our hotel in the middle of Times Square by 10:00 A.M. This was during the time that the Pope was in the city so we were very satisfied with the service.

Just in - breaking news near JFK on "airport road" along 135th Street, north side / behind the service road off the Belt Parkway / JFK Expressway area - women in her 50's shot and 20 years old daughter pistol whipped during an apparent robbery by 2 men, while they're standing outside the hotel (Hampton Inns) this evening. http://abc7ny.com/news/woman-shot-in-hotel-near-jfk-airport-daughter-pistol-whipped-during-robbery/1168992/

More reasons for not recommending staying near JFK - http://qns.com/story/2015/11/13/cops-find-trailer-full-of-marijuana-near-jfk-airport-arrest-deliverymen/

As a transit hotel, used as a day room to sleep/rest & shower, or for those early morning 6 AM departure - some of the JFK hotels are fine, if the prices are reasonable ... otherwise, keep moving and book one's stay elsewhere.

Edited by mking8288

Never ever been to NY or NJ so this is going to be a "What would you do" question.

We are a family of 4 adults. Traveling from Austin to some where up there (lol) and cruising out of Cape Liberty. We will have about 1 1/2 days to wander around time square area, 911 memorial and visit a friend at the rooftop refinery hotel.

the "What would you do question" is......

What airport would you fly into?

Stay the two days in NY or NJ? keeping in mind the traveling with luggage, taking trains, subway, taxi, uber? :eek:

We were thinking flying into Newark, grabbing a hotel near the terminal then catching a train or whatever transportation to get to the time square area....

So much to consider.

Thanks in advance for your valuable insight. :)

Edited by libertybelle41

Never ever been to NY or NJ so this is going to be a "What would you do" question.

We are a family of 4 adults. Traveling from Austin to some where up there (lol) and cruising out of Cape Liberty. We will have about 1 1/2 days to wander around time square area, 911 memorial and visit a friend at the rooftop refinery hotel.

the "What would you do question" is......

What airport would you fly into?

Stay the two days in NY or NJ? keeping in mind the traveling with luggage, taking trains, subway, taxi, uber? :eek:

We were thinking flying into Newark, grabbing a hotel near the terminal then catching a train or whatever transportation to get to the time square area....

So much to consider.

Thanks in advance for your valuable insight. :)

What are you exact dates? What's your hotel budget? How many rooms and how many beds in each room? Are you considering your 1/2 day to be on the day you arrive or the morning you sail and would time in NYC be part if that 1/2 day? Are all 4 of you going to stay together your entire time in NYC?

You're going to have to price out each option. For starters if there is no significant difference in airfare, I would fly into Newark. My next suggestions are going to depend on your answers to my specific questions. There can be certain economies and certain expenses traveling with 4 people.

Edited by 138east

What are you exact dates? Arrive May 12th and the ship leaves on Sat the 14th

What's your hotel budget? don't really want to spend more than $250ish

How many rooms and how many beds in each room? was wanting to all 4 stay in the same room if possible (ideally, with two double or queen sized bed with the option of bringing in a roll-away or air mattress. My sons are full on adult ;)) Not wanting to spend $200+ for two rooms

Are you considering your 1/2 day to be on the day you arrive or the morning you sail and would time in NYC be part if that 1/2 day? 1/2 is the day we arrive

Are all 4 of you going to stay together your entire time in NYC? yes

You're going to have to price out each option. For starters if there is no significant difference in airfare, I would fly into Newark. My next suggestions are going to depend on your answers to my specific questions. There can be certain economies and certain expenses traveling with 4 people.

The first hotel to look at would be the Newark Penn Station Hilton, which has rollaways available for $10 and an airport shuttle. This pushes your budget a bit, but it will substantially reduce your time and costs to go in and out of Manhattan.

If you stay at the airport it will cost you $26/pp to take NJ Transit in and out of midtown Manhattan and $22.50 for the train/PATH route to downtown Manhattan. That's $90-104. From the Hilton this cost would be only $22-44, so your savings would range from $60-68, money which you can spend on the hotel. The time savings would be at least a half hour each way because you can walk from the hotel directly into the train station via a skywalk bridge.

If this doesn't suit, post back and I will look at airport hotels.

You need to understand how NJTransit and PATH work. NJTransit runs to New York Penn Station and PATH runs to the World Trade Center. Here are some links:

Big picture map: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Train schedule - Northeast corridor and North Jersey Coast trains go between Newark Penn Station and New York Penn Station - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

PATH map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

That means you can do a big circle - Newark to New York Penn Station, NYC subway to downtown Manhattan, and PATH back to Newark or vice versa.

Think you would be wise to try and head into time square the day you arrive New York is the city that never sleeps I arrived at 5pm last year from Dublin got the AirTran to penn station and had checked into radio city apts by 7pm Macy's old navy and h&m were all open till 10pm so did some shopping got a bit to eat in buppa grump co and a nice walk around time square

[quote name='libertybelle41']OMG, this is all so new to me. Thanks for the info. I will do my homework.:)[/QUOTE]

I did the AirTran just after it opened its well signposted and easy use the website is informative as well enjoy NYC