Mosquitoes in the Caribbean

SuzieQ1944

We are scheduled to go out from Florida this coming Friday for the Caribbean. Has anyone experienced getting bitten while in any of the basic stops (i.e. St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Barbados, St. Kitts)? We don't want to panic (we are 71) but the more we read, it is a bit frightening. I have already bought DEET and we plan to wear protective clothing.

There are mosquitos in many of the Caribbean islands. They mostly are out at dusk and night but don't take a chance. The ship sails from port most days prior to dusk.

Check with your doctor to see if (s)he thinks it safe and advisable for you to apply insect repellant the containing DEET as you mention you have it. That is what is most effective. The chances are strongly in your favor you should be fine especially if you use the repellant.

Edited by sail7seas

We have not had any problems with mosquitos. If you're going into the jungle-like areas, make sure you're well protected. We have gone to the wild green monkeys in Barbados twice and have had no problem. I don't even remember seeing any bugs. Your itinerary is the same we have done every March for four years and about to do the same again this March. I have no worries at all. Go and have a great time! Use repellent when you're going into the jungle-like areas. Otherwise, just have fun.

The main places you can get bitten are on rivers, creeks, gardens with water features and in swampy/shady places. There was a couple on our cruise last March who got bit in Jamaica doing the Rafting on the Martha Brae excursion and the bites were obviously infected (pus filled.) In general, mosquitos are most active before 10am and after 4pm. They are weak flyers and even a gentle breeze will often keep them away. You shouldn't have any problem at all on the ship. So, when in port, use a repellant, stay away from areas where mosquitos congregate, wear light colored clothes and if you limit your excursion times to after 10am and before 4pm, you should be fine. BTW, mosquitos are most attracted to people with type O blood and female mosquitos find people who take extra B1 unappetizing. Mosquitos also hate it if you eat garlic, citrus, onions, spicy foods and possibly bananas. They also hate smoke, so if you are smokers, this is one time where your habit can be helpful. Mosquitos are most attracted to people who have eaten salty high carb foods. If you decide to use DEET, it is very important to shower immediately after you return to the ship and wash yourself very well to get the DEET off of you.

If you are shopping in a downtown area between 10am and 4pm, you are unlikely to encounter mosquitos and probably don't need to use a repellant.

Alternative natural repellants include:

•Citronella Oil

•Lemon Eucalyptus Oil

•Cinnamon Oil

•Castor Oil

•Rosemary Oil

•Lemongrass Oil

•Cedar Oil

•Peppermint Oil

•Clove Oil

•Geranium Oil

Here is a natural repellant in a patch form that works quite well:

http://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Resealable-All-Natural-Protection-Eucalyptus/dp/B012JD6H52/ref=as_at?tag=aboutcom02studenttravel-20&linkCode=as2&

The main places you can get bitten are on rivers, creeks, gardens with water features and in swampy/shady places. There was a couple on our cruise last March who got bit in Jamaica doing the Rafting on the Martha Brae excursion and the bites were obviously infected (pus filled.) In general, mosquitos are most active before 10am and after 4pm. They are weak flyers and even a gentle breeze will often keep them away. You shouldn't have any problem at all on the ship. So, when in port, use a repellant, stay away from areas where mosquitos congregate, wear light colored clothes and if you limit your excursion times to after 10am and before 4pm, you should be fine. BTW, mosquitos are most attracted to people with type O blood and female mosquitos find people who take extra B1 unappetizing. Mosquitos also hate it if you eat garlic, citrus, onions, spicy foods and possibly bananas. They also hate smoke, so if you are smokers, this is one time where your habit can be helpful. Mosquitos are most attracted to people who have eaten salty high carb foods. If you decide to use DEET, it is very important to shower immediately after you return to the ship and wash yourself very well to get the DEET off of you.

If you are shopping in a downtown area between 10am and 4pm, you are unlikely to encounter mosquitos and probably don't need to use a repellant.

Alternative natural repellants include:

•Citronella Oil

•Lemon Eucalyptus Oil

•Cinnamon Oil

•Castor Oil

•Rosemary Oil

•Lemongrass Oil

•Cedar Oil

•Peppermint Oil

•Clove Oil

•Geranium Oil

Here is a natural repellant in a patch form that works quite well:

http://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Resealable-All-Natural-Protection-Eucalyptus/dp/B012JD6H52/ref=as_at?tag=aboutcom02studenttravel-20&linkCode=as2&

Very helpful, great post.

Thank you for it.

I generally attract more biting insects than any of my friends or relatives. My wife and I are both about your age and we have been on several Caribbean cruises and we have visited all of the ports that you mentioned. We have done both jungle excursions and river floats. As recommended we always carry bug replant but we have never needed it. I still have not seen my first mosquito or biting fly in paradise. Take some Dete but you probably won't need it.

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

- Spoken by Ratty to Mole in Wind in the Willowsa children's book by Kenneth Grahame (1859-1932).

Scientific studies have shown that mosquitos are specifically attracted to humans for 2 things: exhaled carbon dioxide (so they tend to go after those who are doing strenuous activity over those who are watching the activity) and old sweat which has a chemical reaction that attracts the mosquitos. The food you eat directly affects your sweat, this is why garlic and onions as well as citrus and spices and possibly bananas are fairly effective in warding off mosquitos - they change the composition of your sweat.

We were on a Caribbean cruise in December and found mosquitos to be a big problem. I can't remember the last time I had been bitten by so many. I had more than 50 bites. St. Thomas was especially a problem and many of the passengers on our tour also commented on the large number of mosquitoes. I know that I will make sure that I bring an insect repellant with us from now on.