Belize as sub for Harvest Caye is a joke!

mwrules

While it was reported on the boards, NCL has not sent any communication to passengers who have booked (and PAID in full) about the change from Harvest Caye to Belize City. I think NCL's blatant disregard for their passengers is what many people (myself included obviously:rolleyes:) take exception to......

Lol. I got an email from NCL when they changed my port from Harvest Caye to Belize City. I think you just like to complain.

I too was advised by NCL twice when the change was made from Harvest Caye back to Belize City for two different cruises. NCL is not causing the delay, the government is, along with some of the vendors from Belize City who don't want to lose the business. As stated in a couple of other threads, Belize City is no more or less dangerous than most ports or cities including many major U.S. cities. If being around the locals makes you nervous, why do you think the same local in Harvest Caye are going to be any better???

I know ncl can change what ever they want But I. Did not pay for belize! And before the nasty rep!ies,I knew this was a possibility. There was only 3 excursions listed yesterday.I do think there should be a credit, it's like ordeting steak snd gettina a big mac.

This is from the NCl website:

Itinerary Changes

In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or any other reason whatsoever, Norwegian Cruise Line has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. Norwegian Cruise Line shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of its ports of call. Norwegian Cruise Line may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel for any sailing and cannot be liable for any loss to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement or substitution. Reservations are subject to change or cancellation in the event of a full-ship charter, and in such event, NCL shall refund all passage moneys paid by the passenger.

I have yet to receive an email from NCL telling me of the change. I know because it shows up on my NCL.com itinerary. However, I had a phone conversation with a NCL rep 2 days before the announcement assuring me that Harvest Caye would open on Feb 16 and was more than happy to take my money and book a snorkeling excursion for me there. Now 60 days out I am rearranging my excursions to maximize my vacation. We are now going cave tubing in Belize and my family is looking forward to it.

I have no problem with a cruise line changing itineraries or ports, I have read the T & C and know they are well within their right to do so. However I do question the timing. If Harvest Caye needs another 9 months in order to be ready to receive guests then NCL knew months ago they weren't going to be honoring excursions there and should not have made them available nor taken money for them. It would have been courteous and a show of good faith to notify their customers as soon as possible rather than to continue drag it out past many cruisers final payment dates. The final payment for our March 19 cruise was Jan 4. The Jade only has 4 more sailings on this itinerary after our week. In my opinion NCL was trying to maximize the number of paid cruisers before making their announcement.

Seems to me that some of the above posters come on these boards to attack others for expressing their experiences/opinions rather than having a civil exchange of ideas.......

I'm also a bit bummed with the itinerary change, as I was looking forward to that stop being a relatively "free" excursion....meaning a beach without having to pay for a beach excursion. Oh well! I guess I'll wait to book a cruise that goes to Harvest Caye until it's officially open!

I have yet to receive an email from NCL telling me of the change. I know because it shows up on my NCL.com itinerary. However, I had a phone conversation with a NCL rep 2 days before the announcement assuring me that Harvest Caye would open on Feb 16 and was more than happy to take my money and book a snorkeling excursion for me there. Now 60 days out I am rearranging my excursions to maximize my vacation. We are now going cave tubing in Belize and my family is looking forward to it.

I have no problem with a cruise line changing itineraries or ports, I have read the T & C and know they are well within their right to do so. However I do question the timing. If Harvest Caye needs another 9 months in order to be ready to receive guests then NCL knew months ago they weren't going to be honoring excursions there and should not have made them available nor taken money for them. It would have been courteous and a show of good faith to notify their customers as soon as possible rather than to continue drag it out past many cruisers final payment dates. The final payment for our March 19 cruise was Jan 4. The Jade only has 4 more sailings on this itinerary after our week. In my opinion NCL was trying to maximize the number of paid cruisers before making their announcement.

Seems to me that some of the above posters come on these boards to attack others for expressing their experiences/opinions rather than having a civil exchange of ideas.......

I so agree with you about letting everyone know there was a change back to Belize City. It seems on several occasions communication is slow to non-existent from NCL. We always find out what is happening or getting ready to happen from CC. The recent website snafu was not pretty and it seemed again there was no formal statement or a flash email to those ready to sail that there was an issue.

Victor Bodden emailed to say that because of the itinerary change, he's rebooked our Roatan tour for the new port day. If a small, independent operator who hasn't even taken my money yet can manage to send out an email about port changes to his customers on the Dawn, surely it's not too much to expect it from NCL? I'm just glad that I read Cruise Critic so that I already knew about the port and date changes and had already rearranged my plans.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the Lamanai Ruins and River tour, so I'm not upset about the changes...just the lack of communication.

& as an out island, you wouldn t have to take a tour. To wait until 1 month before scheduled opening to announce delay is poor PR....and they should give you some $$$ consideration

LOL seriously? Some people just always have their hand out for a freebie I guess!

I know ncl can change what ever they want But I. Did not pay for belize! And before the nasty rep!ies,I knew this was a possibility. There was only 3 excursions listed yesterday.I do think there should be a credit, it's like ordeting steak snd gettina a big mac.

Think whatever you want, but read your cruise contract.

I really don't mind the change except I planned on it being an inexpensive beach day in HC. Surprised that I have received nothing from NCL regarding two port changes on my March 6 Star cruise.

DMH15 & Heathrj, Looking at the Lamanai ruins & river tour, which company did you use?

I really don't mind the change except I planned on it being an inexpensive beach day in HC. Surprised that I have received nothing from NCL regarding two port changes on my March 6 Star cruise.

DMH15 & Heathrj, Looking at the Lamanai ruins & river tour, which company did you use?

I booked through NCL, due to it being a 7 hour tour and a tender port. It's a bit pricey, but we're no longer going to go to Chacchoben in Costa Maya and are planning a cheap beach day instead, so we figure that we'll save some money there.

While it was reported on the boards, NCL has not sent any communication to passengers who have booked (and PAID in full) about the change from Harvest Caye to Belize City. I think NCL's blatant disregard for their passengers is what many people (myself included obviously:rolleyes:) take exception to......

This is true for me. I'm past final payment for a Haven suite in March. I only know about the change from here (and looking on NCL.com for excursions).

Personally, I dont care where we go - I like being on the ship. Maybe we'll do tubing with or without kids, or a beach day, but i think we're likely to stay on the boat.

Edited by Starflyr3
Autocorrect

I booked through NCL, due to it being a 7 hour tour and a tender port. It's a bit pricey, but we're no longer going to go to Chacchoben in Costa Maya and are planning a cheap beach day instead, so we figure that we'll save some money there.

If you don't mind, how much was it through NCL? It doesn't yet show up as an option for me as it is a recent change.

If you don't mind, how much was it through NCL? It doesn't yet show up as an option for me as it is a recent change.

I paid $153 Canadian per person...I'm thinking it was $129 US since my exchange rate is 1.19. It's actually the only excursion that shows up for me (which is good, as it's the only one we were really interested in!)

Edited by heathrj

Belize is actually one of my favorite stops. They have the second largest barrier reef in the world and its amazing. I also really loved the people and the culture. It's not any more dangerous than the other carribean islands.

I am excited to be going to Belize City instead of Harvest Caye. I love to see the authentic places in a country I have never visited instead of a man made stop. JMO

^^^^^^

This!!

I'll take a real country with locals, authentic restaurants and culture to experience than one of these phony, cruise line-created ports. Belize is a fascinating country with a lot to do and is no less safe than other places in the Caribbean. That nonsense about not going outside the immediate port area was started by the cruise lines to scare passengers into booking over-priced, generic excursions directly through them.

That is crazy that you think NCL should give you a credit because of something out of their control.

That is crazy that you think NCL should give you a credit because of something out of their control.

Delays on Harvest Caye are out of their control and I don't think anyone can hold NCL responsible for that. I don't think anyone does.

What is in their control though is advertising it as an available option, thereby enticing people to book a cruise based partly or solely on that available option and then not informing people who have booked that that stop will not be available. Had I received notification from NCL before final payment, that the new private island wasn't going to be open, I might have altered my plans.

Until very recently (within the last two weeks I think) they were advertising my cruise and all prior and subsequent sailings with a picture of Harvest Caye and a tag line about it -- forget what it was, something like relax and unwind on our new private Island, Harvest Caye. It was listed on the itinerary as a stop.

If they knew, or even strongly suspected, that it wouldn't be open, why continue to advertise it. Why keep it listed on the itin?

ETA: Better say, "a picture of what I assume is supposed to represent a person relaxing on what I assume is supposed to be Harvest Caye" before the "How could there be a picture of Harvest Caye when it is not even built yet!? type posts.

Edited by macandlucy

I agree with macandlucy. NCL is not handling this well at all, and the cruise I purchased last year is no longer the one I'm taking.

Additionally, I just got off the phone with NCL shore excursions because I had to request that they credit back my already purchased Harvest Caye excursion for three to my credit card. I get the feeling that it may not have been done had I not made the call...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It''s as safe as any large US city, if you don't like it stay on the ship that day, or take an NCL excursion, half of them never go near the mainland anyway.

I feel that your post is bad advice. We`ve been there 5 times (always had a non-ship organized tour-usually Caye Caulker) and 2 times pax members, from our ship, were assaulted outside the gated port area (which is safe). Found this with a quick search from The State Department:

Due to the small population (335,000) and high murder rate per capita, Belize consistently ranks among the top 10 in the world for homicides, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, with an average of around 40 homicides per 100,000 residents. After setting an all-time record in 2012 for homicides at 145, the number of murders significantly decreased to 99 in 2013. However, in 2014 the number of murders rose to 121. The Belize District, which includes Belize City, continues to have the highest number of murders in the country, due in large part to dozens of street gangs that operate in the city.

-

I also find it interesting that NCL did not release the delay news until after March cruisers had made final payment.

I`ll still have fun, but it will cost me more than HC would have. (no free drinks or free food) plus water taxi.