Question about St. Thomas and Tortola

fan2daryl

The park & Tortola/Virgin Gorda in general is just not equipped to handle 4-6k passengers on the short port stops.
I believe you. I've been to Tortola, but never to Virgin Gorda. Everything I see about The Baths (check Google satellite, for example) makes it appear to be a very tiny space. I can't imagine it NOT being crowded! I'm planning to save this one for my next land vacation to the B.V.I.

Yes, you could do that (parking lot), but you`d miss some spectacular scenery. I think this girl is there every day...IMG]

True, but there is a huge problem with the number of people trying to get through the caves during ship tours. Our experience was a nightmare, people almost getting into fights over which way people traffic was supposed to be going up and down tight staircases. Yes the caves are amazing, but you can get the idea by walking into them against the flow of people traffic once at the beach. We had 25 mins at the beach because we spent an hour trying to get through the caves. NCL seems to know about the problem but isn't doing anything about it...the complaints continue and we got a bottle of wine for our constructive comments on the tour.

Honestly I wish we could have taken the tour where you jump off a boat and swim into the beach. Unfortunately it was booked before we got on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haaaa! What in the heck are they supposed to do? Spread out the rocks? Funniest post ever.

No, but they could either lengthen the time in port, reduce the number of people that go on the excursion or work with the local guide to ensure there is better communication between the guides. Our guide told us the path was one way, when once you got into the caves it was clearly not. Since you are in caves, you can't bail and go another way, you're stuck. Fist fights almost broke out several times, as too many people were in the caves and the guides knew it. NCL's reply to my complaint was that they were advocating for longer time in port.

I'm being completely serious that while this is a beautiful area, the whole excursion was a gong show and definitely not worth the several hundreds of dollars we spent for the four of us to go. People should know this before they go on a ship sponsored excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by B&Z's Mom

We did the NCL Baths excursion last year. Yes going through the boulders and caves is very crowded with people going in both directions: waiting for a bunch to pass, up a rock, down a ladder, taking your group's turn, etc. But it is a very cool place and I'm glad we did the walking through once even though it was crowded. No need to do it again. I'd just hang on the beach or swim.