Bar set-up in RS question

puppyluv1

Can we request a specific brand of gin as part of the bar set-up in a RS? Has anyone ever requested Bombay Saphire? I'm pretty sure I've read that you can substitute wine for one bottle. Would we be able to request a red and white in exchange for the bottle of scotch (two bottles of wine for one bottle of scotch)? Appreciate any advice from the very knowledgable CC cruisers!

You should be contacted by a concierge host before you cruise. They can coordinate your bar setup. Have heard and seen almost anything and everything in those bars. Not an issue. FWIW - some RS bookers are very particular about their beverages!

Can we request a specific brand of gin as part of the bar set-up in a RS? Has anyone ever requested Bombay Saphire? I'm pretty sure I've read that you can substitute wine for one bottle. Would we be able to request a red and white in exchange for the bottle of scotch (two bottles of wine for one bottle of scotch)? Appreciate any advice from the very knowledgable CC cruisers!

We got things changes to Grey goose and Bacardi so just ask for what you want. We actually left most of it, obviously we received far too much in Michael's.

Likewise, I think it would be one bottle of wine only. If you enjoy wine in your room remember you can bring two bottles on board still leaving you two bottles of spirits.....we tend to order a decent cognac for late night sipping and then something to make long drinks from. We have also, on occasions changed a spirit to a fortified wine like port.

We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of wines available in (or just over) the premium package. If there is a favourite wine you want to drink in Michael's (within reason!) they will secure it for you.

Have a wonderful cruise...

Edited by chemmo

We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of wines available in (or just over) the premium package.

May I ask if you can remember which these wines were, please? We find most wines offered by the glass for US tastes rather than ours. Hoping a fellow Brit may have found something we have missed!

May I ask if you can remember which these wines were, please? We find most wines offered by the glass for US tastes rather than ours. Hoping a fellow Brit may have found something we have missed!

We are mainly red wine drinkers. Within the package we enjoyed a Kendal Jackson Pinot noire, fruity and pleasant. Most of the rest were experimental! We have always been very reserved when ordering bottles and saw the package as an easy way to experiment.....Even at home we tend to stick to a few favourites! I would not describe us as very knowledgeable about wine but we do know what we like when we taste it!

We simply explained the types of wines we liked and asked to try something 'at about' premium price giving the sommelier the message we didn't mind paying a bit over but didn't want to go over the top. We asked to sip first rather than risk wasting full glasses. Murano's sommelier was outstanding, even encouraging me to try a dry white which is normally one of my no go areas! Surprisingly we also had excellent recommendations in Silk Harvest too. Tuscan sommelier recommended the Kendal Jackson. Our Luminae Sommelier was not as good, tending after first night to just keep offering the sheet of wines included in the package....we had to ask and then wait for the more extensive drinks menu. This is not a criticism of him, Luminae was new and he was busy!

We intend to be even more experimental on next cruise just asking 'what would go well with' rather than explaining our likes and preferences first....

I have read somewhere on cruise critic that Luminae has a really nice peach Martini, I think I might even give that a go!

Sorry if my reply isn't that helpful.....We had expected the wine aspect of the premium package to be a problem and anticipated buying a couple of bottles to supplement. I think if we had just ordered off the 'premium list' it could have been. Wines offered were frequently in package price (although not on the list) or just a dollar or two over...

You never know I may become knowledgeable about wine yet!

Sincere happy sipping!

chemmo

Many thanks.

Seems that you have had more luck with the Sommelier's than we have had although the one in Luminae on our last cruise did get a French red wine we liked sold by the glass in Cellar Masters for us. Unfortunately, although still sold by the bottle, it appears to have disappeared from the Cellar Masters menu.

Perhaps we will have more luck this time. It seems a shame to have to buy bottles when we have the Premium Beverage Package.

I note from another thread you are off down-under for your next cruise. Having gone round the World with Celebrity [and Azamara] we are likely to cruise in the Caribbean for the foreseeable future. If you end up in that part of the world cruising in the future, hopefully we will meet up! Our January 2018 cruise still has 8 RS and 1 PH available ....

Edited by Project_gal

chemmo

Many thanks.

Seems that you have had more luck with the Sommelier's than we have had although the one in Luminae on our last cruise did get a French red wine we liked sold by the glass in Cellar Masters for us. Unfortunately, although still sold by the bottle, it appears to have disappeared from the Cellar Masters menu.

Perhaps we will have more luck this time. It seems a shame to have to buy bottles when we have the Premium Beverage Package.

I note from another thread you are off down-under for your next cruise. Having gone round the World with Celebrity [and Azamara] we are likely to cruise in the Caribbean for the foreseeable future. If you end up in that part of the world cruising in the future, hopefully we will meet up! Our January 2018 cruise still has 8 RS and 1 PH available ....

There was a red we liked which while being on the wine by the glass menu was around $18-$19 a glass. I cannot remember the name other than Abbey was mentioned in the name.

We were introduced to a Rose in Luminae - Whispering Angel I think. I am not a white or pink wine drinker but after trying this, we had it every lunchtime until it ran out. I don't recall it being on the lists so they may have been getting rid of old stock. This was in the package.

Most times we let the sommelier decide. Told him what we fancied and he appeared with something. We didn't leave any.

chemmo

Many thanks.

We have 4 cruises booked at present ranging from South Pacific, to Eclipse Canaries from Southampton (first ever cruise from England!) to Singapore to Abu Dhabi to Hong Kong to Singapore.....After that we may need a Caribbean break! Last one is on the Millie where I will celebrate a significant birthday.

I don't know if others would agree but as you get older you do become both 'bucket list' focused but also just want some pampering time....it is balancing the two that becomes hard. Then there are always the land based itineraries you have never done or would like to do and a river cruise...

The temptation to look at 2018 is beckoning....

Sincere apologies to OP I think we have veered off subject, the positive is 'regulars' keep returning! Spending on the RS must be value for money!

Edited by chemmo

There was a red we liked which while being on the wine by the glass menu was around $18-$19 a glass. I cannot remember the name other than Abbey was mentioned in the name.

We were introduced to a Rose in Luminae - Whispering Angel I think. I am not a white or pink wine drinker but after trying this, we had it every lunchtime until it ran out. I don't recall it being on the lists so they may have been getting rid of old stock. This was in the package.

Most times we let the sommelier decide. Told him what we fancied and he appeared with something. We didn't leave any.

The red was Freemark Abbey - cabernet sauvignon.