Excursions in St.Thomas

Celticsun32

Sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in March, not thrilled with any of the excursions offered by the ship, any suggestions for what else to do? Other excursions that are not run by the ship that are safe and worth while

Celticsun did you find anything that interests you? Are you interested in beach time, perhaps a beach not frequented by many of your fellow cruisers? You're docked at Havensight from noon - 7 and you aren't able to make most of the recommended daysails. But if you could share expenses with 2 other couples, perhaps from your roll call, you could hire a smaller private charter very inexpensively to Jost Van Dyke, nice day that! :)

Otherwise Sapphire Beach with plenty of shade and a great Mahi Mahi sandwich from Banana Cabana is also a very nice day...if you don't need to rent a lounge just lay a towel in the sand under a tree and stare at the amazing water colors and islands...

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water
Typo

Sorry, but I'm still a little confused. :confused:

You say the $21.00 is not mandatory to take the tram ride, is that correct? In other words, are you saying, once the Taxi takes us to the "top" for $6.00 pp, we can get on the tram going back and forth, without any cost??? That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you are saying we can pay the $6.00pp to take us to the top, and then $21.00 to take us back and forth on the tram?

I just want to be "prepared" for the cost of this, if you understand where I'm coming from?

If you are going to ride the tram then you are going to pay. You can pay a one way fare or a round trip day pass fare. If you don't want to ride the tram then cabs can get you up, down, or both.

Another few comments on my experience at Paradise Point --

Oh, and if you want to take a taxi from the pier to the top of Paradise Point, I think it will be $7 per person, one-way. Then you can get to the top without paying $21/adult for the cable car ride (i.e. if you are not particularly interested in the cable car ride, but still want to get to the top for the view).

If we get a ride to PP, do you know if we can take the sky ride down for half price, or something? I do understand the possibility of walking down. We are looking at hiring a driver for a couple of hours, and are thinking about having him drop us off there.

Thank you.

After I read further, it looks like a one-way ride is possible.

Edited by Mich3

If we get a ride to PP, do you know if we can take the sky ride down for half price, or something? I do understand the possibility of walking down. We are looking at hiring a driver for a couple of hours, and are thinking about having him drop us off there.

Thank you.

After I read further, it looks like a one-way ride is possible.

I don't know if a one-way ride is possible. I know another poster mentioned it, but didn't mention a price or other details. Their web site does not advertise that option:

http://www.ridetheview.com/index.php/about/

I would suggest contacting them by e-mail or phone to inquire.

I don't know if a one-way ride is possible. I know another poster mentioned it, but didn't mention a price or other details. Their web site does not advertise that option:

http://www.ridetheview.com/index.php/about/

I would suggest contacting them by e-mail or phone to inquire.

Thank you ~ I was thinking that, too. It sounds like passes might only be for sale at the bottom.

It sounds like passes might only be for sale at the bottom.

Yes, I had mentioned that in a prior post...at the top, there is no point-of-sale that I noticed, unless the operator's booth had a small cash register. The ticket sale window is located at the base station before you walk up the stairs to the main platform for boarding the tram (where they also take your photo if you wish).

We will be sailing with Captain Max next week. Very much looking forward to it. I'll report back on how it went on my return if interested.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147404-d1134275-Reviews-Sail_with_Captain_Max-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

We are in March ... Also rented her cottage for a few days ... Let us know how your day was

• 3 weeks later...
In St.Thomas we usually rent a jeep for the day and do our own thing.

The steep winding roads and driving on the wrong side pretty much make it and excursion itself.......

Who would you recommend renting a jeep through? Going in June. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would recommend Jester Sailing Adventures: http://sailjester.com/ This is also a private company owned and run by Captain Jim. We have sailed with him twice, most recently last week. Only 6 passengers max, a fresh cooked lunch, a variety of beverages (including my favorite, Jester Juice, his own rum concoction), snorkel gear, float mats, etc. You get to go to secluded areas to swim and snorkel, and probably swim with turtles (we did both times, although being nature, there can't be a 100% guarantee). Jim even recommended a taxi for us, whom we contacted. He was waiting as we got off the ship and delivered us both ways in his brand new van.

Can you give me more information on "the Bones" and who I can contact sounds like fun ..

Do you have any pics from you day

"The Bones"........snorkeling at Turtle Cove and BBQ on Honeymoon Beach....THE BEST excursion EVER!!!!!

Is there a beach nearby where we can can hang for the day and maybe grab lunch?

Nearby your ship? Where are you docking?

If at Crown the Emerald Beach Resort or Island Beachcomber in Lindbergh Bay both offer amenities and are a short taxi from Crown.

If at Havensight Morningstar is closest, you can use their facilities or grab a lunch and drinks at Gourmet Gallery deli at the dock and a cooler and take it with you.

I looked at the excursion it is only 3 hours long and $69 a person which I think is rather expensive plus we will be there all day 9-6

Yes, but there are 2 ships with different names. The other might be the Doubloon. Both owned by same company.

Would love to take the Godfrey Tour, just shopping and sight seeing. It says on his website he will bring you back to the ship by 2pm. Are his times accurate? My ship leaves at 3pm and I am a little nervous about missing the ship. Just a paranoid cruiser, Several yrs ago did a partial submarine tour and I believe Coral World. we paid through the ship about $60pp. It was the worst tour ever. Someone threw up on the sub and they cleaned it up, but the smell followed us throughout the sub ride. The water was cloudy and we really saw nothing I realize these things were not the cruise ships fault, but again the worst, expensive tour I have ever been on in my past 7 cruises.

The steep winding roads and driving on the wrong side pretty much make it and excursion itself.......

Do you remember where you rented the jeep from and around how much it costs?

Great way to see STT, especially if you plan to see some non-touristy spots.

The roads of STT can be winding but certainly nothing to be concerned about - nothing like Tortola! Just keep your shoulder to the shoulder, and respect the signs and remember you are a visitor in a new place.

Do any of you have any other ideas I don't want to go shopping I want to tour the island and see the sea turtles... I found another tour that sounds amazing but for two adults and two small children it was $480 which I think is way too much for one day. So looking for other ideas ...

Yes, but there are 2 ships with different names. The other might be the Doubloon. Both owned by same company.