Annoying Beach "Vendors" on Orient Beach

We again will express our puzzlement about cruisers (and we do a lot of cruising ourselves). They go to islands, take excursions to beaches (excursions always go to the most commercial places) or become real "adventurous" and take a taxi to the most "famous" most commercial beach on the island. And then, to their amazement, there are lots of other cruisers and vendors (who love cruisers because they often have no clue).

If you want to avoid vendors we can list several St Maarten beaches where there will be few to no vendors. But cruisers do not want to go to those beaches (a good thing for those of us who vacation on the island). So here is the truth. Orient Beach is one of the best beaches (in terms of size, sand, etc) on the island, but also is the most commercial (by far). And Maho Beach (another popular place with cruisers) is actually an awful beach that just happens to be on the approach to the airport and also has a pretty decent beach bar/restaurant. So if you choose to go to those places, please do not complain that there are vendors, its too crowded, its too commercial. etc. All that is correct....but you made the decision to go to those places. When we stay on the island we are careful to avoid these overly commercial beaches whenever ships are in port (weekends are about the only time when the island might be ship free).

Hank

If you want to avoid vendors we can list several St Maarten beaches where there will be few to no vendors.

Hank, I am looking for a shady beach with calm waters as I am not a good swimmer. I would want a place where I can rent a chair/umbrella and maybe have a place to get a cold drink, a little nibble. Can you recommend a good beach? Thanks.

Hank, I am looking for a shady beach with calm waters as I am not a good swimmer. I would want a place where I can rent a chair/umbrella and maybe have a place to get a cold drink, a little nibble. Can you recommend a good beach? Thanks.

A tough combination :). Our first thought is Le Galion which has the calm water, easy entry, and a well run decent beach cafe/bar. And what is interesting about Le Galion that even though it is on the Windward side of the island, its natural cove provides a barrier from the rough sea/waves. They also rent chairs (not the best chairs) and some umbrellas. But we would not call it a "shady" beach unless you are under an umbrella or put your chairs at the rear under a tree (not sure you get much shade from those sparse trees). To be honest, we do not know where you find a "shady" beach on the island (perhaps somebody else has an idea). DW loves shady beaches and we know those kind of places on some other islands (like St Thomas, Barbados, etc. But on St Maarten we generally rely on beach umbrellas.

Orient Beach does have lots of chairs/umbrellas for rent and also plenty of bars/restaurants. The problem is that if it is a windy day or the seas are a bit rough, swimming here can be a minor challenge. That being said, on most days Orient is fine (but also too darn crowded). Mullet Beach is also another pretty good option....and being on the leaward side of the island the water is usually pretty calm. They do have a decent beach BBQ stand and chair/umbrella rentals. Entry in and out of the water is a bit steep for folks with mobility/knee problems, but we have often used Mullet when the seas were rough on the windward side (Orient Beach) of the island.

One problem with many cruisers is that they tend to overplan their days and lock themselves into an itinerary in advance of arriving at a port. But when it comes to beaches on St Maarten, one should consider being flexible until you get to the island and have an idea of sea conditions. If your ship is rocking and rolling the night/morning before getting to St Maarten it is likely that the seas on the Windward side (this is the side that has Orient Bay) will be a bit rough.

One final thought it about Great Bay, which is the beach that fronts Philispburg and is visible from the ship (unless your view is blocked by another ship). Many dismiss this beach because they have read the water is polluted (unless there has been a lot of rain the water is usually fine) but we sometimes like using this beach. You are only a few feet from the entire city, have lots of cafes/bars/restaurants and there are plenty of chairs/umbrellas to rent. Because of the beach vendor competition you can often negotiate a lower price for chairs (or you simply walk 20 feet to the next rental vendor). Getting to Great Bay is a 20 min walk from the port or a short (and cheap) water taxi ride. The water here is usually quite calm but the downside is that its a city beach which might not seem as romantic as places like Orient, Le Galion or Mullet.

One final comment about Le Galion. Unlike the other beaches mentioned, this one does not often have waiting taxis (most of come to this beach have their own car). If there are no taxis, and you have not arranged for a taxi to return to pick you up (these kind of arrangements are not always reliable) you can simply ask the folks in the cafe to please call you a taxi. But keep this in mind and allow some extra time since it can take a few minutes for a taxi to arrive.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

^^ Hank, Thanks so much for such a thoughtful reply. I had contacted Little Divi Resort yesterday asking about their packages, but, then I read more about Orient, one poster mentioned Kakao Beach Club, and that sounded good to me. I'm a little confused about taxi prices, I know the port to the airport is $25, but, people are saying the beach is less expensive, even though it is farther away? I'm traveling solo, so cab prices matter. I just paid $10 to get from pier to Holland House because I was by myself. I thought, shoot, I could have taken the water taxi for $7, I only took the land taxi because I had read it was $5. If I go to Orient, I'll try to find other cruisers to go with me. Heading back to the pier will be a bit trickier, though. You've given me some great things to think about, though. Thanks again.

There is a lot of people going to Orient at the taxi stands that easily fill a van quickly. No need to fine someone else going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jcg4550

I used to love coming on cruise critic for all the great helpful information on here. To me it is becoming a flame fest. No one can post an opinion without someone ragging on them or calling them a "tourist". We are all tourists here :P

It was very refreshing to see the above post about real beach recommendations instead of calling the person a dumb tourist for posting a real issue.

Orient beach is a beautiful beach and one of my favorites. We stay on the island for a week and still go there. I love Kontiki Beach Club. I do not love having someone ask to rub my feet every 20-30 minutes with their sandy hands. I still go because the beach is so pretty but I do also get tired of being bugged. The next time we go I may actually go to another beach due to this issue. I'm sure the beach clubs would not be pleased if everyone left. Although I am weak so I will probably go back...;)

JCG is right about taxis to Orient. When you get to the taxi area (within the port) there will be folks organizing the larger van taxis. These are shared taxis and a single person has only to say where they want to go (i.e. Orient) and you will be led to a taxi (usually a large van) that will go to that location. Your price is per person and set by local government regulations. I am not sure of the current price but think its no more than $7 per person. When you are ready to return to the port (or Phiipsburg) you just walk behind the beach to the parking/taxi area and you will quickly find a similar situation where you can get a shared taxi back to town/port at the same price.

Le Galion is a different situation since it is not as popular. Sometimes you can also get a shared taxi to Le Galion...or a taxi wills top there on their way to Orient. But this is much more difficult for the return and you might get stuck having to pay for a taxi just for you (which does cost more).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

A tough combination :). Our first thought is Le Galion which has the calm water, easy entry, and a well run decent beach cafe/bar. And what is interesting about Le Galion that even though it is on the Windward side of the island, its natural cove provides a barrier from the rough sea/waves. They also rent chairs (not the best chairs) and some umbrellas. But we would not call it a "shady" beach unless you are under an umbrella or put your chairs at the rear under a tree (not sure you get much shade from those sparse trees). To be honest, we do not know where you find a "shady" beach on the island (perhaps somebody else has an idea). DW loves shady beaches and we know those kind of places on some other islands (like St Thomas, Barbados, etc. But on St Maarten we generally rely on beach umbrellas.

Orient Beach does have lots of chairs/umbrellas for rent and also plenty of bars/restaurants. The problem is that if it is a windy day or the seas are a bit rough, swimming here can be a minor challenge. That being said, on most days Orient is fine (but also too darn crowded). Mullet Beach is also another pretty good option....and being on the leaward side of the island the water is usually pretty calm. They do have a decent beach BBQ stand and chair/umbrella rentals. Entry in and out of the water is a bit steep for folks with mobility/knee problems, but we have often used Mullet when the seas were rough on the windward side (Orient Beach) of the island.

One problem with many cruisers is that they tend to overplan their days and lock themselves into an itinerary in advance of arriving at a port. But when it comes to beaches on St Maarten, one should consider being flexible until you get to the island and have an idea of sea conditions. If your ship is rocking and rolling the night/morning before getting to St Maarten it is likely that the seas on the Windward side (this is the side that has Orient Bay) will be a bit rough.

One final thought it about Great Bay, which is the beach that fronts Philispburg and is visible from the ship (unless your view is blocked by another ship). Many dismiss this beach because they have read the water is polluted (unless there has been a lot of rain the water is usually fine) but we sometimes like using this beach. You are only a few feet from the entire city, have lots of cafes/bars/restaurants and there are plenty of chairs/umbrellas to rent. Because of the beach vendor competition you can often negotiate a lower price for chairs (or you simply walk 20 feet to the next rental vendor). Getting to Great Bay is a 20 min walk from the port or a short (and cheap) water taxi ride. The water here is usually quite calm but the downside is that its a city beach which might not seem as romantic as places like Orient, Le Galion or Mullet.

One final comment about Le Galion. Unlike the other beaches mentioned, this one does not often have waiting taxis (most of come to this beach have their own car). If there are no taxis, and you have not arranged for a taxi to return to pick you up (these kind of arrangements are not always reliable) you can simply ask the folks in the cafe to please call you a taxi. But keep this in mind and allow some extra time since it can take a few minutes for a taxi to arrive.

Hank

Would Le Galion be a good beach to go to with 3 kids (11, 14, 15)? They are not ones to just lay in the sun, they will want something to keep them busy.

I know Orient has activities that would occupy the kids but the soliciting would drive my husband crazy.

Thanks!

Would Le Galion be a good beach to go to with 3 kids (11, 14, 15)? They are not ones to just lay in the sun, they will want something to keep them busy.

I know Orient has activities that would occupy the kids but the soliciting would drive my husband crazy.

Thanks!

Le Galion is pretty calm and does not have much in the way of water toys, so your young might get bored. While the occasional vendor may need to be told "no thanks", I think OP overstated the problem - I've hardly ever been approached twice by the same vendor after making it clear I was not in the market.

On an unrelated note, your husband and young teens might find the possible full/partial nudity at Orient a turn-off (or not).

Le Galion is pretty calm and does not have much in the way of water toys, so your young might get bored. While the occasional vendor may need to be told "no thanks", I think OP overstated the problem - I've hardly ever been approached twice by the same vendor after making it clear I was not in the market.

On an unrelated note, your husband and young teens might find the possible full/partial nudity at Orient a turn-off (or not).

I most definitely do not want to bring my kids around full/partial nudity but from different posts I've read it seemed like you would only see it on occasion. Guess we need to definitely need to mark Orient off the list. Thanks!

I had never been to Orient Beach, but went there on my last cruise. I don't think I'll be going back.

I just wanted to relax on the beach, but was bugged non-stop by beach "vendors".

Every two minutes "Would you like me to massage your feet?", "Would you like to buy a hat?", "Would you like to buy a t-shirt?"

I got no relaxation at all.

At one point there were 4 of them with 20 feet of me.

They really need to do something about this.

It gets a little tiring having to say every two minutes "no thank you".

And I'm not exaggerating, every two minutes I was asked to buy something.

Whether my eyes were closed or not.

One of the many "vendors". I think she asked to massage my feet. They really seemed to be into my feet

IMG_3537s_zps8avfg0m7.jpg~original

Same problem on Grand Anse beach, last 2 times same thing, I'm not returning.

No pockets = No money 😀

LOL!!!

We again will express our puzzlement about cruisers (and we do a lot of cruising ourselves). They go to islands, take excursions to beaches (excursions always go to the most commercial places) or become real "adventurous" and take a taxi to the most "famous" most commercial beach on the island. And then, to their amazement, there are lots of other cruisers and vendors (who love cruisers because they often have no clue).

If you want to avoid vendors we can list several St Maarten beaches where there will be few to no vendors. But cruisers do not want to go to those beaches (a good thing for those of us who vacation on the island). So here is the truth. Orient Beach is one of the best beaches (in terms of size, sand, etc) on the island, but also is the most commercial (by far). And Maho Beach (another popular place with cruisers) is actually an awful beach that just happens to be on the approach to the airport and also has a pretty decent beach bar/restaurant. So if you choose to go to those places, please do not complain that there are vendors, its too crowded, its too commercial. etc. All that is correct....but you made the decision to go to those places. When we stay on the island we are careful to avoid these overly commercial beaches whenever ships are in port (weekends are about the only time when the island might be ship free).

Hank

Very well said. I don't get knowing it is a favorite place of cruise ships which is public and brings people with money(cruising ain't cheap). Why would you not think it would attract people trying to eek out a few dollars? We were "bothered" a few times maybe 10 over 6 hours, so basically once an hour I said "No thanks" it was awful. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I really don't by every 2 minutes for hours, the vendors would have to lined up 30 deep in his row of chairs. REALLY( said with incredulity)