Formal Night(s)

Cruising in April on Adventure of the Seas, 7 nights from San Juan.

We used to cruise a lot but have been taking other vacations of late (Hawaii, Mexico).

What's the atmosphere on formal nights these days? As this ship is sailing deep southern Caribbean it will be hot/humid. Don't blame DH one bit that he detests putting on a suit/tie while on vacation. And dragging along dress shoes.

Can we wear country club casual to main dining room on formal nights? This is our vacation so why can't we be comfortable and not miss the nice meal in the dining room?

Thanks in advance for your input. :D

Cruising in April on Adventure of the Seas, 7 nights from San Juan.

We used to cruise a lot but have been taking other vacations of late (Hawaii, Mexico).

What's the atmosphere on formal nights these days? As this ship is sailing deep southern Caribbean it will be hot/humid. Don't blame DH one bit that he detests putting on a suit/tie while on vacation. And dragging along dress shoes.

Can we wear country club casual to main dining room on formal nights? This is our vacation so why can't we be comfortable and not miss the nice meal in the dining room?

Thanks in advance for your input. :D

There has never been any requirement to wear formal attire or skip the dining room, it's a suggestion only. You will see a variety of dress but country club casual is quite fine. It's only shorts, flip flops and sleeveless shirts that are prohibited (even that isn't always enforced).

The only thing you should remember is everyone else will be and you may feel out of place, as some people really go all out. Also remember it will be photo night, well 1 of 2 nights. On a 7 night you have 2 formal so if you want just bring 1 suit/dress.

I was on a Southern Caribbean cruise just two weeks ago and I have to disagree with the comment that "everyone else will be and you may feel out of place."

We were a family of four, traveling with adult kids (23 and 28). At our table alone, we had a cocktail dress, a sun dress, a sweater with khaki pants and a tuxedo on the first formal night. The second formal night, the sweater was replaced with a polo shirt. The tuxedo was repeated.

We spanned the gamut, just at one table, and no one felt out of place. As others have said, formal dress is a suggestion. Wear what you choose, as long as it doesn't violate the overall guidelines: No shorts, flip flops, tank tops.

ENJOY!!

I've seen some people describe it as if nobody dresses up any more, but in my recent experience, you will see the majority of people in suits/cocktail dresses and a few going all out in tuxedos. But, you will also see a reasonable percentage of people dressed casually, so as long as your "country club casual" meets the minimum requirements, you'll be okay.

I more or less agree with printingchick, as there will be a broad spectrum. It is possible that everyone else at your table will be dressed up, but certainly not everyone else in the whole dining room.

Wear what you want, but like you we live in a casual area and are retired professional. I would suggest that you just look a little nicer on the Suggested formal night. Taking a clue from Celebrity, Modern Chic, dress is closer to the norm on those nights.

Yes many love to dress to the nines but that is their option.

I know there is the constant discussion of formal vs non-formal. I think there is an easy solution. Why don't the ships designate certain areas formal and others non-formal? If a MDR has three levels, you could designate certain floors as formal or not. Same thing with the extra charge restaurants. Why do they all have to be formal on formal nights? Some should be formal and others not. I really do not believe that a majority of cruisers want formal nights anymore. Does anyone have facts on this? Otherwise, let's try to compromise!

I know there is the constant discussion of formal vs non-formal. I think there is an easy solution. Why don't the ships designate certain areas formal and others non-formal? If a MDR has three levels, you could designate certain floors as formal or not. Same thing with the extra charge restaurants. Why do they all have to be formal on formal nights? Some should be formal and others not. I really do not believe that a majority of cruisers want formal nights anymore. Does anyone have facts on this? Otherwise, let's try to compromise!

They already do a similar thing on Quantum class, where the only formal dress is in the Grande restaurant. However, I still read posts from people who want the food in Grande, but don't want to dress formal.

It's already optional in the MDR, and the extra charge restaurants are never formal (except perhaps for The Grande restaurant). How much more of a "compromise" do you really need?

These days formal night is super relaxed,oh wait are you sailing on the Adventure? Then formal night is double relaxed. For me adventure is a ship that doesn't belong to royal. Everything is so crazy and unpredictable from the moment you arrive to the port to the moment to disembark the ship but that's based on my experience maybe I am wrong.

And glad to hear the Adventure of the Seas is more on the casual side. I could see on Cunard bringing our fancy pants ... but while floating around in the Caribbean ... not so much.

We are going with "My Time Dining" so hopefully will not be seated at a large table anyway ... hopefully a table for two each evening. We were on a Celebrity ship that had casual dining but w/service and we loved that choice. Still order off a menu w/service ... hoping that "MTD" will be like that? And Johnny Rockets would not be a choice ... and sure do not want to eat buffet food! Nor, live on the sandwiches/pizza ... even though they are yummy!

I wouldn't knock the "buffet food" too much, if you haven't tried it. They do a pretty nice job, in my opinion, with the WJ buffet at dinner time. Of course, if the concept of serving yourself at a buffet turns you off, then skip it, but the way you said, "...sure do not want to eat buffet food!" made it sound like you were talking about the quality of the food. :cool:

These days formal night is super relaxed,oh wait are you sailing on the Adventure? Then formal night is double relaxed. For me adventure is a ship that doesn't belong to royal. Everything is so crazy and unpredictable from the moment you arrive to the port to the moment to disembark the ship but that's based on my experience maybe I am wrong.

If that's been your experiences how are you wrong. But that's your opinion. However we have never experienced anything you have experienced. We've done two different B2B Cruises (2012 and 2015) on the Adventure with no issues. We enjoy sailing out of San Juan and on the Adventure.

While on the Navigator the first formal night I wore a black floor length gown and my husband wore a nice suit. The second night I wore a tea length dress and him his suit. I can honestly say I never paid attention to the other guest because I was enjoying myself and didn't care with other people wore.

We go on the Allure in June and I believe this time I will leave home the long gown for flight reasons.

when we were on the quantum last year they had extra waiters jackets that guests who weren't formally dressed were given to put on the back of their chair. it was a little odd to me, of course for us vacation is a time to dress up and be fancy.

They already do a similar thing on Quantum class, where the only formal dress is in the Grande restaurant. However, I still read posts from people who want the food in Grande, but don't want to dress formal.

If they want food from Grande they should go to Chic and order in there. There a huge kitchen in back that is connected to each other. I was in Silk one night and rave on a dish i had. The next night i was in American Icon, the table mate want to try the dish i rave about and got it.