Reflection vs Regal for a couple in there 30s

NOSaints1

We're in our mid 30s, we've only been on Carnival, we don't have any kids and not into Rock Climbing, Zip lining and just want to have a good time, relax and not big drinkers but enjoy a drink here and there.

So how would you compare the two between food, public spaces, onboard activities and looking at doing Western, so opinions on the two private islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are in our early 60'ties and have sailed 7 diff lines since 1987, and the Reflection is our favorite ship to date. More of an upscale country club feel.

Now 'activities' are not, nor have ever been a Celebrity strong point. But their ships, food and service are top shelf. Never felt 'crowded' on any of the S-Class sisters.

We have found all the private islands pretty much the same.

Celebrity is a sailing for someone that wants to decompress from the hustle an bustle of the day to day rush. That enjoys sitting at the Sunset bar at the aft of the ship, sipping on something cold, while watching flying fish jump from the deep blue water across the foamy wake of the ship.

Is it an old folks home? Farthest thing from it! A couple hundred of us danced till well past midnight while a Beatles tribute band played non stop memories!

If you want to return home felling ready to hit the ground and close some sales and get a contract or 2 signed, Celebrity is the ticket!

Just my humble experiences from a few days at sea.

EW

ps: FYI, we first sailed on Princess in 1992, and our latest was in 2012 on the Ruby. The last 3 years have been on Celebrity.

Edited by wallie5446
Add the ps:

Princess and Celebrity are two different lifestyles. We're X regulars, but, had a chance to cruise on Regal Princess last winter. There was always something happening in the atrium and the bars were all hoping...upscale fun everywhere. If that's what want all the time, go Princess...we enjoy more quiet time. That's why we prefer Celebrity. Tiny balconies on Regal also bring negative points.

Mid Upper 30s here...will let you know my thoughts the end of March. Figured we would give X a try...its what you make it really. Our first cruise ever was on Princess and our table mates the first night was 3 vietnam vets...best table mates ever.

Celebrity is a sailing for someone that wants to decompress from the hustle an bustle of the day to day rush. That enjoys sitting at the Sunset bar at the aft of the ship, sipping on something cold, while watching flying fish jump from the deep blue water across the foamy wake of the ship.

I had a mini vacation just reading this. Thank you!

Go Celebrity, hands down. Not even close.

Mid 30s couple here. See below for the cruises we've tried. Didn't like Royal or Carnival, and NCL is cutting quality everywhere.

On Celebrity, you have to make your own fun. Ships are dead after dinner/show time. But we enjoy having the public areas to ourselves. We like privacy and relaxation. The experienced (older, no offense) crowd Celebrity attracts knows good value, decent food, and good service.

Our opinion, go for the 10 day cruises leaving on Friday returning on Monday. Best value and fewest vacation days required. 7 night cruise maybe more action as people try to party harder on shorter cruises. Also fewest children on longer cruises, unless over a major holiday. We prefer the ports on Eastern Caribbean, esp. St Maarten, Barbados, and Labadee. We've run into trouble in Western ports.

My DW likes time to herself, she prefers a table of two not that she has a problem with anyone just has a bit of social anxiety, we're definitely not the party animals as were usually in bed by 8pm and we don't want a vacation that were so exhausted from everything that we can't relax.

We did the Reflection in January 2015 and the Regal in October 2015 and will be back on the Reflection in 4 days. We are mid 70's, but think younger. We prefer the Reflection, but loved the Regal too. Balconies are small on Regal (as noted). You will love either ship as we do. Reflection is slightly more "laid back." We have more than 50 cruises to date. The X is more $ and therefore I believe that Princess is a slightly better value. Slightly better food on X, but never a complaint on either. You will not go wrong on either.

We have done Regal twice ( and 3 other Princess ships)and S class ships 5 times. Of course We find X quieter and more limited in entertainment. But we enjoy both. We know Princess will have us in a different mode of vacationing.

Minor pros and cons in each. We choose itinerary and compare $ value. Then choose between the lines.

If I recommended a line to my 31 year old daughter and husband, it would be Princess or Royal. The lack of entertainment options on X is the main reason.

JW what this evening chic is?

A bunch of nano babble :eek: for you don't need to wear a tie, jacket, or tux any more, as long as you look nice. If you don't get an opportunity at home for the tux and sparkly cocktail wear to see the light of the moon, you can strut your stuff to the nines! But if you want to dine in a nice Tommy Bahama set, it is okie dokie.

Go Celebrity, hands down. Not even close.

My thoughts exactly. I'll be a little more candid here than I was on the Princess boards. When Princess built Regal and her sister ship, Royal, they fell waaay short of being in the same ballpark as Celebrity Solstice Class. Not even close. Princess did nothing on that ship class to better their brand. The staterooms are still tiny. The balconies are pathetically small - you almost have to sit sideways on them. And they didn't build a public lounge that looks out to sea. The ship has nothing like the Sky Lounge on Reflection with its floor to ceiling windows. Every venue on the ship has you looking inwards, whereas on Reflection, most of the public venues have large windows looking out to sea.

Also, on Regal, the aft pool is one of the ship's smoking sections. You cannot use that pool unless the stench of cigarette and cigar smoke is of no bother to you. Inside, the center stairway comes to a dead-end at deck 7 so if you have a mid-ship stateroom, you have to go up/down the forward or aft stairway and then walk half the distance of the ship. It makes no sense at all.

I could go on and on all day about this. Princess used to be my favorite cruise line, but that changed to Celebrity when they built Solstice Class. I really doubt I'll ever cruise Regal again.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

We're in our mid 30s, we've only been on Carnival, we don't have any kids and not into Rock Climbing, Zip lining and just want to have a good time, relax and not big drinkers but enjoy a drink here and there.

So how would you compare the two between food, public spaces, onboard activities and looking at doing Western, so opinions on the two private islands.

We've done 2 trips on the Eclipse. Both were excellent, in my opinion. Due to scheduling issues we're to be on the Regal Princess for a 14day B2B starting Feb.7. The food on the Eclipse ranged from outstanding(specialty rest.) to at times very good- excellent in the MDR. We prefer "traditional" early seating. The food videos I've seen so far on the Regal don't impress me at all. We're both "foodies" and in the food industry. This could easily make it a deal breaker for Princess if the food doesn't measure up! While the Eclipse didn't rank up there with 5 star restaurants, the food was equivalent to good to very good shore side rest. As for the Eclipse..It tends to be a quieter overall ship. There is plenty to do on board, but after 11:30 it quiets down a lot. We loved the "Solarium" for it's soft music & relaxing atmosphere. More standard party music & fun stuff was outside in the main pool areas. The "Sanctuary" on the Regal has a cost of $40/day to use. Anything the staff might do for you & the price goes up quickly. I'll post an extensive comparison review when we get back Feb.21(posted on the Princess site)

What exactly is the sanctuary? How does it compare to the Solarium

The Sanctuary is a portion of Princess' adults only area that you have to pay for. It's something like $20 for a half day, $40 for a full day...and it sells out fast. The adults only pool on Regal is outdoor. That part is free. This is the adults pool on Regal. The Sanctuary is through those doors. Oh, and you have to reserve and pay for those cabanas next to the pool:

ry%3D480

On Reflection, the Solarium is indoor, all glassed in. It has more of a spa feel. It's very relaxing. They play soft, spa-like music and at lunch time, they serve healthy food in the Solarium. It is totally free. There is no charge for the adults area on Celebrity.

This is what the Solarium looks like on Solstice Class (Reflection):

ry%3D480

This is the AquaSpa Cafe in the Solarium where they serve lunch:

ry%3D480

Edited by Aquahound

I tried really hard to like the Regal, but was not impressed at all. I think Solstice Class is much better. This may not be a big deal to some, but look at the difference in balconies. This is on Regal:

ry%3D480

On the other hand, this is Solstice Class (ignore the silvery part on the glass...that's something unique to the Solstice on a few balconies):

ry%3D480

I've sailed on both Regal and Reflection. I enjoyed both ships. The food and the shows were comparable, but I prefer the Reflection for a few reasons. First, the cabins are roomier and have full size sofas. Regal cabins are tight and they charge extra for a cabin with a sofa the size of a loveseat. Second, Regal doesn't have an indoor pool. Reflection has the beautiful covered solarium. Third, the Regal has more passengers and it does at time feel crowded. Whichever you choose, though, you'll have a great cruise.

I read on the RC forum about the bigger ships, I know they were referring to the Anthem/Oasis, but with Celebrity S class, do you find you spend more time reserving Dining reservations or is Celebrity more of an intimate experience , I'm not into ziplining, rock climbing. I don't think that's cruising, where the ship becomes the destination and not the ports it's visiting.

I've sailed on both Regal and Reflection. I enjoyed both ships. The food and the shows were comparable, but I prefer the Reflection for a few reasons. First, the cabins are roomier and have full size sofas. Regal cabins are tight and they charge extra for a cabin with a sofa the size of a loveseat. Second, Regal doesn't have an indoor pool. Reflection has the beautiful covered solarium. Third, the Regal has more passengers and it does at time feel crowded. Whichever you choose, though, you'll have a great cruise.

Been on both also. You have given a very excellent comparison. Totally agree with you!

So what're the top rated S class ships, is there a way to find out

Just got it in the mail yesterday,

The Reflection was voted for 2015, the best Premium Cruise Ship in Travelers Weekly 13th Annual Readers Choice Awards.

The Equinox won for 2015 Best Overall Large Ships Category.

image.jpg.310f43be240c1f55bb96fb4390a000a6.jpg

Was looking at this book&go package for 2017 how good of a deal is that, like how much is the classic beverage package alone

Air travel from 7 Canadian airports

7-Night Western Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity Reflection[emoji768]reg; or Celebrity Silhouette[emoji768]

Veranda stateroom

Classic Beverage Package

Transfers between South Florida airport, hotel, and cruise port

Night in a South Florida hotel for some departure airports

Gratuities & taxes

Book today for a cruise vacation that will leave you completely relaxed and renewed. Starting at just $2,189* per person including cruise taxes and fees, these packages feature veranda staterooms on sailings from January 30 to April 3, 2016. Skip the stress of planning and get it all with just one call. But hurry, these packages sell out quickly.

Just got it in the mail yesterday,

The Reflection was voted for 2015, the best Premium Cruise Ship in Travelers Weekly 13th Annual Readers Choice Awards.

The Equinox won for 2015 Best Overall Large Ships Category.

We were on board Reflection at Christmas and Captain Peppas announced about Reflection. You could tell he was very proud. :)

Its so hard choosing, the Summit to Bermuda, the Infinity to the Pacific Coastal, the Reflection to the Caribbean and than I've seen the reflection to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in 2018, although I don't think I could wait that long, how do you decide?