Cancelling a booking made onboard

hazand

Sorry I did write this somewhere else, but not sure if the right place.

Has anyone cancelled a booking made onboard? We booked 2 B2B and was told we would get deposit back if cancelled before final payment. They are now saying we will get no deposit or credits. Thanks

Sorry I did write this somewhere else, but not sure if the right place.

Has anyone cancelled a booking made onboard? We booked 2 B2B and was told we would get deposit back if cancelled before final payment. They are now saying we will get no deposit or credits. Thanks

I think you need someone from Australia to answer this for you as your country's policy may be different from ours.

For those of us in the USA, we would get the deposit back if we cancel before the final payment date, unless we had already received that amount as a perk on the previous cruise.

When booking onboard, we are offered the choice of either taking it as onboard credit to spend on the current cruise, or delaying it to receive on the future cruise.

Edited by fleckle

I think you need someone from Australia to answer this for you as your country's policy may be different from ours.

For those of us in the USA, we would get the deposit back if we cancel before the final payment date, unless we had already received that amount as a perk on the previous cruise.

When booking onboard, we are offered the choice of either taking it as onboard credit to spend on the current cruise, or delaying it to receive on the future cruise.

Also, if you just choose an open booking, there is no refund if canceled instead of moved to another cruise. If you choose a particular sailing and put the deposit down, in the US, that is refundable (unless, as you say, you've taken the amount as a perk).

In Australia the rules are indeed different. Need to get someone from OZ to let us know the current rules but I suspect no refund but OK to put deposit on another cruise. Also if you took OBC when you booked on that cruise you already spent your deposit.

Well have my answer. We were told on board that it was fully refundable if cancelled before final payment. We would not have booked otherwise. Obviously the Reps do not know Australian rules and were quoting US rules. We are now being told by Celebrity Australia that we will loose our deposit and cannot get any credit. Not really fair I think when we were given the wrong information.

Well have my answer. We were told on board that it was fully refundable if cancelled before final payment. We would not have booked otherwise. Obviously the Reps do not know Australian rules and were quoting US rules. We are now being told by Celebrity Australia that we will loose our deposit and cannot get any credit. Not really fair I think when we were given the wrong information.

Did you take the OBC on the cruise you were on when you booked or the one you want to cnx? I also booked another cruise on our Australia cruise but as I took the OBC on that cruise the deposit (same amount as the OBC I was given) will be non-refundable. People would be booking cruises, spending the OBC perk & then cnx the cruise so it makes sense.

We booked for April 17 in March 15, when the Elegant Chic was brought in we were on an Eclipse Transatlantic. I like formal night and sought advice from the onboard sales team.(we did not take the OBC during the cruise last March). The manager on board said we could cancel the April 17 cruise when we returned home and not lose our deposit, however this was not the case and Celebrity UK say we will lose it.As we have 3 cruises this year will see how it goes,but very unhappy with the differing versions given--we are Elite Plus but could be looking for another cruise line.

On our Celebrity cruise there were two options for taking the OBC:

1. take it for the current cruise - in which case the deposit was not refundable

2. take it for the newly booked cruise - in which case the deposit would be refundable. This is what we have done for the cruise we booked on board. I haven't put it to the test but I would expect the deposit to go back to being a Future Cruise Credit that I could use for another cruise if we had to cancel our currently booked cruise.

Try ringing Celebrity Australia again, sometimes different reps have different answers. :eek: :D

We have previously booked on board but then had to cancel the cruise and we moved the booking number to a different cruise. All the bonuses went with the new booking. Is there a cruise you can transfer the booking to

Edited by Pean

As many have said get it in writing. The "rules" are confusing and if outside the US the deposit would not be refundable, but the OP still needs to let us know all the facts. They received OBC. If nothing else is selected it defaults to the then current cruise. Is that what they did? Also after a chat last night with a mate in Victoria it appears that the deposit CAN be transferred to a new cruise. Hazand - please let us know the rest? OK?

Sadly the booking woes and confusion are little better according to my local TA. Seems Celebrity has the most confusing promotions closely followed by Carnival, MSC and Princess as to billing issues. Celebrity is not alone.

Do we take what a clerk tells us as being correct when it does feel correct when in a store? No. Why do we then accept what a person in a phone bank states as fact?

This is what the TA replied

"When speaking with the cruise line I have asked what your options are in relation to cancelling the bookings and also changing them. If you were to cancel there would not be any option for a refund. I have also requested the option to change the sail dates if we cannot get a refund and they have advised that this is also not possible at this stage. They have advised any changes would have been required prior to 151 days of sailing which was before 27th November 2015."

Bit silly when we didn't book until 25th Nov. Were told on board we had until Feb. to cancel with full refund, so thought we could go home and look at options. We booked 2 B2B so have double deposit. Did not take any OBC on that cruise. Don't think it was offered.

Rang Celebrity Australia and they say we won't get our deposit back and won't give any information on where to send a protest letter. Say we have to get that from TA. Waiting for a reply about that.