Port of Tampa Closed AGAIN!!

johnny75

Port of NY never closes, has 100 times more traffic.

It also has bridges.

They must use their radar in fog to navigate.

Port of NY is not Tampa, and the only bridge is the Verrazano, which is plenty high. Also, NY does not suffer as much fog as Tampa.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

In 2014 there was talk of replacing or raising the bridge, but I haven't heard much about that since.

Can't they just lower the water buy going to the bottom of the bay and pulling the plug? :D

Edited by EyeSeaEwe

In other words.... WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:eek:

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with me not wanting to sail out of certain ports that have a history of issues. Why should you care what I do? If someone told me they didn't want to sail out of Baltimore, or Miami, or wherever it doesn't affect me at all and I wouldn't think twice about it. Why should my vacation habits be any concern of yours?

Galveston seems to have a lot of issues with that as well. For that simple reason I will never cruise from there.

I agree. There are many other reasons I hate going out of Galveston - archaic alcohol regulations, TABC shakedown after the cruise, etc., but the fog/weather delays the last straw for me.

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with me not wanting to sail out of certain ports that have a history of issues. Why should you care what I do? If someone told me they didn't want to sail out of Baltimore, or Miami, or wherever it doesn't affect me at all and I wouldn't think twice about it. Why should my vacation habits be any concern of yours?

TOUCHE! You have a right to your opinion and no one has a right to tell you differently. Some people have trouble minding their own business.

Is Tampa usually foggy in November?

In 2014 I went on the Pride at the end of November and got back early January and we were delayed due to fog.

Right now in the area and the rest of coastal areas are dealing with El Nino. I know this issue comes up yearly but with the weather system this year it's been amped up. Right now Florida is also in the middle of a pineapple express front as well.

This year has been crazy with weather though. Tornado in Sarasota, yesterday one in Broward county. Heavy fog far more often then I have ever seen in 28 years in the area.

I will agree with you on the crazy liquor laws but I have cruised out of Galveston 14 times and NEVER had issues with fog or weather.

I agree. There are many other reasons I hate going out of Galveston - archaic alcohol regulations, TABC shakedown after the cruise, etc., but the fog/weather delays the last straw for me.

I'm not testy about it, but I have cruised out of Galveston 14 times and never had issue with fog/weather delays. It really isn't that big of a problem but you certainly have every right not to cruise from there if you don't want to.

Did New Orleans on our very first cruise - Conquest 2003. It was OK but I don't see me going back there again.

It seems like the people who get super testy whenever fog delays are brought up are more than likely the ones that frequent the problem ports. Like they are afraid that if enough people complain, Carnival will remove ships from there. I don't think they actually would since they keep putting more there, but you never know. If it keeps up and it ends up being more of a monetary and PR/CS nightmare I guess it could happen.

But you are right, don't look for me leaving from those ports at all. I am obviously not the only one that feels this way, and plenty of people don't mind the potential headaches. Good for them. I am not looking to stress even more about my vacation.

Because you posted your vacation habits on a public message board. I'm sure you don't cruise out of the northeast in winter and I am sure you never cruise out of Florida during hurricane season.

I'm not testy about it, but I have cruised out of Galveston 14 times and never had issue with fog/weather delays. It really isn't that big of a problem but you certainly have every right not to cruise from there if you don't want to.

You're right about me not having to if I don't want to. I don't know why people feel the need to chime in about where I choose to get on and off a ship at. It's no more of their business than if I don't care to sail a particular ship or cruise line.

If a port has a history of issues (seasonal or not) then I choose not to take that potential risk. I know what makes a vacation enjoyable for me and having to worry about delays that happen more often from certain areas will affect my enjoyment.

Bottom line - everyone can go from where they want on whichever ship they want. Unless someone is paying my way, what someone thinks is of no significance to me. I'll spend my money how I see fit. THE END.

Port of NY is not Tampa, and the only bridge is the Verrazano, which is plenty high. Also, NY does not suffer as much fog as Tampa.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

:D

I caught it:

Your are comparing the Big Apple to Florida Oranges.

I thought there would be more comments on that one.

Galveston seems to have a lot of issues with that as well. For that simple reason I will never cruise from there. It's too bad, but I can't be stressing about if I'm gong to be able to board the ship on time, or be able to get back home. I'm nowhere near driving distance and can't take the chance of getting stranded. Even if I book my flight late in the day, that's no guarantee either.

I was in a fog situation in Galveston. Embarkation was delayed-had a great seafood lunch and watched the Dolphins before boarding. Debarkation was also late and Southwest was great with changing flights at no additional cost. The fog was very bad. Was no problem at all. I had an open mind about it being a possibility with the time of year I was cruising. It's always been a very easy port for me living in KC MO.

Ok, so here's what's funny. I almost always sail out of Galveston. So guess where I am this minute....sitting in a hotel in Tampa waiting to see if the fog will roll out so I can get on Paradise tomorrow. Oh, the irony!! :rolleyes:

Oh no! Glad to see you will at least get some compensation but I bet you are disappointed. Good news is at least you'll have 3 sea days. I love sea days!

Oh no! Glad to see you will at least get some compensation but I bet you are disappointed. Good news is at least you'll have 3 sea days. I love sea days!

Yeah, I don't mind missing Mexico so much, but my mom is sad. The 50% off 2 cruises is gonna be sweet though. :D

According to a statement from Carnival, the four-night January 28 sailing with a scheduled call on Cozumel will be shortened to a three-night cruise to nowhere. Those choosing to sail the modified itinerary will receive a 50 percent refund and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise. Passengers can stay on overnight or get off when it docks.

The port of Tampa has been safety conscious, since the last bridge was rammed and slammed, in bad weather. Can't blame them, really. Safety is all about acceptable risk. BTW, I love sailing out of Tampa. We sailed last November, with nice weather coming and going...